HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:01 PM
I like Skyscrapers 🏙

Huh. Well, at least they should make this 1,500’ tall and give it a design that blends into the skyline. But that ugly horrible mast design should be changed.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:09 PM

I think I made this once with legos as a kid.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:43 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm not a fan of this design. Hopefully it will get cut and replaced with something better. As much as I like super talls, not this one. Same notion with Tower Fifth.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:54 PM
BANNED

I love it!!

I understand many hate it, but give it a chance.

It reminds me of the Space Needle.

Better than another box.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:56 PM
BANNED

That outdoor terrace will be BANANAS.

Maybe the best outdoor obs deck in the city. In America.

They'd be going gaga for this in Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Miami.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:37 PM

I really need to see more before I judge it. The concept is good but this will come down to the details and cladding.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:40 AM

Just as I had suspected the massing seems to pretty much match the structural diagrams. Meaning this is what we're getting. Sure the cladding could look nice but this is pretty much it. And I don't think making it taller would make it better.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 2:55 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
Just as I had suspected the massing seems to pretty much match the structural diagrams. Meaning this is what we're getting. Sure the cladding could look nice but this is pretty much it. And I don't think making it taller would make it better.
Yes, the massing should mostly match what was shown on that diagram. But remember, nothing has changed yet, we're still where we were. What those diagrams show is what was filed for. Barnett still hasn't filed for any changes since acquiring the 8th Avenue sites. That will come later. I suspect that the massing will remain mostly the same (a pod on top of a shaft).

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 12:47 AM

Hopefully acquiring the two 8th Avenue properties spurred a redesign to a more streamlined tower. The massing of the lower tower felt dated and arbitrary. I really really hope this turns out well because I'll be able to see this from my window. Fingers-crossed it won't make my cringe like the Westin Times Square does.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCityBoy View Post
Hopefully acquiring the two 8th Avenue properties spurred a redesign to a more streamlined tower. The massing of the lower tower felt dated and arbitrary. I really really hope this turns out well because I'll be able to see this from my window. Fingers-crossed it won't make my cringe like the Westin Times Square does.
The hotel portion of the tower will be what it is because it’s a hotel. A plan for an office tower would be more blocky. I think Barnett wants his observation deck, and he wants it at a height comparible to the other decks around town. Otherwise you wouldn’t need that huge mast on top of the building. Even without the new 8th Ave properties, I’m not sure they’ve applied the theater bonus air rights. This tower was at one time supposed to be over a million square ft. But Barnett wouldn’t really need that with the tower as is.

I think an actual rendering of the designed tower would change a few minds. But you never know with Extell. Plans for CPT were dramatically altered even beyond this point of construction.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 1:16 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...y-vistas/54001

Quote:
Prior to the pandemic, in 2019, New York City was ushering in over 66.6 million visitors, a tenth-consecutive annual record according to the city's official tourism bureau NYC & Company. While significantly down since then due to the pandemic and accompanying travel restrictions, the numbers are expected to bounce back later in the decade.

As they do, observation decks allowing people to see the city's skyline from a great height will undoubtedly make their way on the list of things to do in New York. The Empire State Building welcomes more than four million visitors a year, and a growing number of observation decks have sprung up on noteworthy buildings, offering experiences and views seemingly made for social media. Hudson Yards' Edge and One Vanderbilt's Summit both opened in recent years, and other major building owners have proposed observation decks at or near the tops of their towers.
Quote:
According to Crain’s New York, Jamestown is tinkering with the idea of redeveloping One Times Square with an observatory for New Year's Eve revelers to be front and center of ball-drop festivities (this year's have been scaled back, but will nevertheless take place). The iconic 23-story tower was the former home of The New York Times and garners the attention of millions for its famed ball drop every New Year’s Eve.

Last year, Aby Rosen, owner of the Chrysler Building, received unanimous Landmarks approval to alter the building's 61st-floor terraces in an effort to open an observation deck and reopen the Cloud Club venue near the top of the Art Deco-styled tower. It will be located just above the silver eagles that jut out from the tower and shielded by virtually invisible glass walls.

The most ambitious of them all may come from Gary Barnett's Extell Development, the country's pre-eminent builder of skyscrapers of this century so far. Planned for a large site just off Times Square at 740 Eighth Avenue, newly-approved plans show the developer is aiming to build a massive 1,350-key hotel topped by a telescopic observation tower soaring 1,120 feet high into the skyline. The massing of the tower, as seen photographed in the wind tunnel study above, shows a somewhat unwieldy design. Extell failed to acquire the full Eighth Avenue blockfront resulting in an awkward footprint wrapping around low-rise holdouts. To prop the observation floors higher than the adjacent buildings, an approximately 300-foot-tall central core will jut out from the building to support a half-dozen floors high above the city.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 1:22 AM

The base and middle structure mimic buildings such as ESB and the Chrysler, but that top is weird. Maybe if they rounded it more it would look better? I wonder if that's what they'll do.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 1:52 AM
Show me the blueprints

It's all I can see...

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 1:55 AM

That thing is going to need some amazing cladding and/or lighting design, cause DAMN it’s ugly.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 3:06 PM

^^The turkey is too wide. This is what I see:

Old Posted Jan 2, 2022, 3:19 PM

^It surely looks like a turkey! I am not a fan of this at all.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 5:10 AM
BANNED

I don't see how the same developer that proposes a conservative, but high-quality tower at 570 5th, can also propose this insane, bizarre piece of junk that looks like it belongs in Kazakhstan.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 2:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildThemTaller View Post
^^The turkey is too wide. This is what I see:

Believe it or not that's the image I wanted to post but didn't know how to image search it. Drinking bird?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 2:54 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New York Lion View Post
I love it!!

I understand many hate it, but give it a chance.

It reminds me of the Space Needle.

Better than another box.

totally agree.

i freaking hate it, but i love it haha.

its in the right spot to be goofy.

barnett ain't no dummy here, he is just trying to appeal with something out of the box.

i say bring it on!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Believe it or not that's the image I wanted to post but didn't know how to image search it. Drinking bird?
Yep, "drinking bird"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction