HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 5:57 AM
你的媽媽

Finally got around to seeing this sad and ugly building for myself.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
finally got around to seeing this sad and ugly building for myself.
lol!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 2:35 PM

reminds me a bit of the St. Regis, or what the St. Regis was supposed to look like based on the renderings

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

Several more stories to go!

This building is the most noticeable building in the area now. Every time I go out I am amazed by it's presence. By my count about 10 more stories to be added when this photo was taken. This is the view from outside of the San Francisco opera house. I find the stark white concrete to be too bright.

1500-1580 Mission Street

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 11:59 PM

It can be seen from here too:

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 5:34 PM

Beautiful picture. I just found myself staring at it for minutes.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 6:18 PM

^^People here occasionally complain about the sameness of the new modernist glass towers, but this picture reminds me that San Francisco's highrises are still not mainly of this type and still does not have anything like a majority of all-glass facades.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 11:40 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
This building is the most noticeable building in the area now. Every time I go out I am amazed by it's presence. By my count about 10 more stories to be added when this photo was taken. This is the view from outside of the San Francisco opera house. I find the stark white concrete to be too bright.
I love the facade and appreciate that it's bright white; look at how the interesting pattern pops out in the Twin Peaks photo!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 1:13 AM
Surrounded by Nature

[IMG]1500-1580 Mission by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:28 AM
你的媽媽

Took this yesterday:

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:40 PM

this is such a nice mid sized tower, facade looks great.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:47 PM

Agreed. I'm excited to see how 30 Otis fills it all in.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 4:36 PM

I love that this is ending the skyline more west. Does anyone know if this topped out yet?

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I love that this is ending the skyline more west. Does anyone know if this topped out yet?
Doesn't appear to be--there is vertical rebar for unpoured columns at the top implying at least one more floor and perhaps more.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 5:25 PM

I was going through the previous pages and I'm surprised how fast this project went over the past couple of months!

Maybe I'm just so used to San Jose projects being so slow haha

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
So I’m standing in front of it counting floors and I get 33 out of 40. So should be 7 to go and judging by the crane height that seems right.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:41 PM
Everywhere all at once

This building (and hopefully this district as a whole) should serve as a model for how to add housing and density smartly and responsibly in San Francisco, as well as other development-averse cities in the United States.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 5:07 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Holy fuckballs, those skyline shots are amazing. Market Street has to be one of the best grand boulevards in the United States, up there with Park Ave. and Michigan Avenue.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Holy fuckballs, those skyline shots are amazing. Market Street has to be one of the best grand boulevards in the United States, up there with Park Ave. and Michigan Avenue.
I don't know when you were last in SF but Market St. currently is looking rather sad and partly it's the fault of development.

Quote:
Mid-Market's vacancies, stalled developments trigger plans to activate dormant sites
By Katie Burke – Food/Hospitality/Retail Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Apr 29, 2019, 7:00am PDT Updated Apr 29, 2019, 5:40pm EDT

A 14-story residential tower with ground-floor retail space has been in the works for the Mid-Market triangle bordered by Jones Street and Golden Gate Avenue. For the past five years, however, it has been a vacant shell awaiting transformation.

As developing sites throughout San Francisco has becomes increasingly expensive and time-intensive, city officials have struggled with how to activate the often vacant space on these properties. This week, the Planning Department approved extending temporary uses at these sites while developers wait for the required approvals for permanent projects.

Temporary uses were previously limited to 60-day, one or two-year, 24-hour or intermittent activity. That period has now been extended to 36 months, with the ability to apply for extensions up to three times for periods of up to 12 months per extension.

"Projects slated for redevelopment are particularly vulnerable to lie vacant, boarded up and unused for prolonged periods of time," the ordinance states. "Often, these redevelopment projects occupy a large amount of street frontage, making an even greater impact on the health of the corridor when they are vacant."

A report from A Better Market Street, a multi-agency city project aimed at improving the stretch, found the areas of Market Street with the highest concentration of storefront vacancy rates also had a drop-off in pedestrian activity, and that the number of shuttered storefronts was one of the neighborhood's biggest turnoffs.

The idea is to make it easier for pop-up tenants to fill spaces that would otherwise sit empty.

Allowable uses would be entertainment, arts and recreation tenants, arts activities, social services, philanthropic facility use, agriculture and beverage processing, a homeless shelter and certain other types of office tenants . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-activate.html

All the vacant and boarded up storefronts of planned redevelopment not only mean that "regular" folks have no need of being there but that the area is open territory for the homeless, drug and stolen goods salesmen and other problem users.

The good news is that several long-planned developments are under construction and our better photographers have posted pictures of them in previous pages (we could use more--several looked more advanced to me than any pictures posted). Also, 2 new boutique hotels in rehabbed buildings have recently opened. But there remain some conspicuous empty and decrepit buildings with the aforementioned hangers-on hanging on out front. The truth is that Mid-Market remains one of the scary places to stroll in San Francisco. I know at least one person who won't go there at all. There's no place in SF I won't go but I tune my urban radar before going there.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:18 AM

DJI_0227-HDR
by Droneshot, on Flickr

DJI_0236-HDR
by Droneshot, on Flickr

A lot more here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive