HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 10:54 PM
A Man In Dandism

New Caltrain EMUs rolling through Emeryville.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 11:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

The red, gray and white homage looks so good on these. If it wasn't a reference to the Southern Pacific I think I would have preferred something a bit more bold or avant garde, but in this case it's perfect.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 11:24 PM
A Man In Dandism

Up close view rolling through Palo Alto.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 11:25 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The red, gray and white homage looks so good on these. If it wasn't a reference to the Southern Pacific I think I would have preferred something a bit more bold or avant garde, but in this case it's perfect.
Agreed. It's kinda a retro modern vibe.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2022, 8:51 PM
A Man In Dandism

Something we won't see on a regular basis. Caltrain on a bridge. Pretty cool shot of the new Stadler KISS EMUs traveling over the Union Pacific Benecia-Martinez railroad bridge.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 21, 2022, 4:02 AM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
SFMTA Announces Opening Schedule of the Central Subway Project
Tuesday, September 20, 2022

The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency today announced the opening schedule for the highly anticipated Central Subway project. Starting November 19th, the Central Subway will open with dedicated shuttle service on weekends between 4th and Brannan Station to Chinatown/Rose Pak Station, stopping along the way at Yerba Buena and Union Square where passengers can make transfers to BART and our Market Street subway. Service specifically on this weekend shuttle for the Central Subway will be free in November and December. This soft launch will allow for additional operator training of the brand new system, while allowing the public to experience the system in service. In January, we will transition to daily service, connecting directly to the rest of the T-Third Line.

“The November opening represents a promise fulfilled to the Chinatown community to provide better local and regional transit connections,” said Rafael Mandelman, Chair of the San Francisco County Transportation Authority and District 8 Supervisor. “The Transportation Authority was glad to support the project with $215 million from various sources, including the half-cent sales tax program. We hope to renew the half-cent sales tax program with approval of Measure L this November so that we can fund the city’s next generation of transformational projects.”

In celebration of the soft launch, the SFMTA will be hosting community station activations during October and early November at 4th and Brannan, Yerba Buena/Moscone, Union Square/Market Street and Chinatown/Rose Pak stations. The community celebrations are by invite-only and a “Thank You” to all the neighbors we have partnered with from the start of the project.

“I am thrilled to announce the opening schedule for the Central Subway. We are finally going to be able to experience the vision of thriving, connected neighborhoods—from Chinatown to SoMa to the Bayview and Visitacion Valley—that the people who first conceived of the Central Subway imagined,” said Jeffrey Tumlin, SFMTA Director of Transportation. “I know this announcement has been a long time coming, and I want to thank the community members and neighborhood businesses that have endured far too many years of construction. I hope the opening of the Central Subway will help jumpstart the economic recovery of our city’s downtown as well as its unique neighborhoods.”

The full opening of the Central Subway system will debut in January 2023 in time for Lunar New Year celebrations—connecting thousands to both celebrate and support San Francisco’s Chinatown.
https://www.sfmta.com/press-releases...subway-project

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Honestly, it's nice to just see new rolling stock that isn't silverliners. It seems like the only places where we get modern-looking rolling stock in North America is on light rail lines. So refreshing to see this look on a large regional railroad. Hopefully other cities follow suit.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 4:28 PM

Link failed.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 5:11 PM

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...y-17457607.php

First concepts for second Transbay rail crossing(s). Exciting to see some progress towards this project.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2022, 6:10 PM
A Man In Dandism

I think I like the separate alignment (although the labels appear to have been swapped in the conceptual maps). Basically having two tunnels. One for regional rail (Capitol Corridor and/or Caltrain) connecting Emeryville and Jack London to Salesforce via a new West Oakland station.

And then another tunnel for BART, connecting Downtown Oakland to Salesforce via new stations at Jack London, Alameda, Mission Bay, and 4th & King. Then continuing under Geary, with a stop at Union Square, and onwards towards 19th Ave and eventually Daly City. I'm guessing we could do stops at Van Ness, Fillmore/Japantown, USF/Masonic, ~3rd Ave/Inner Richmond, ~17th Ave/Outer Richmond, Golden Gate Park, Irving, Noriega, Taraval, Stonestown/SFSU.

It's going to be costly with two new Transbay tunnels, but it's pretty clear that China Basin/Mission Bay/Dogpatch is going to be a major residential, employment, and entertainment destination, so a direct East Bay connection will be needed.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2022, 4:22 AM
A Man In Dandism

Good news. Newsom has officially signed #AB2097, eliminating parking requirements for new housing projects within a half mile of public transit stops *statewide*!

This is what actual leadership on housing affordability and climate policy looks like!

Old Posted Sep 24, 2022, 1:37 AM
Show me the blueprints

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 3:27 PM
A Man In Dandism

Some detail shots from a recent media preview event:

More at: https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...P-CP-Spotlight

Old Posted Sep 25, 2022, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpermitted_variance View Post

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 8:45 PM
A Man In Dandism

Some shots from the soft opening:

https://sfstandard.com/transportatio...ubway-opening/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 8:48 PM
A Man In Dandism

Some more shots from the soft opening:

https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...P-CP-Spotlight

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 9:03 PM
A Man In Dandism

Overall, it looks magnificent. Clean, modern lines with artistic touches paying homage to the local community. It seems like they didn't really turn on the lights to full brightness though since in some of the previous shots the station seemed a lot brighter.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...y-project.html
https://www.rtands.com/passenger/sfm...ervice-update/

More photos here:
http://www.meridianprecast.com/centr...atown-station/

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 9:49 PM

Looks nice, though I'm still irritated/annoyed/disappointed they didn't build a station at the very end of where the tunnel actually exists at North Beach near Washington Square.

source
(with the additional extension in the future, though I'd extend it further down Bay Street to Fillmore to better serve the Marina)

Old Posted Oct 21, 2022, 9:50 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Looks nice, though I'm still irritated/annoyed/disappointed they didn't build a station at the very end of where the tunnel actually exists at North Beach near Washington Square.

source
(with the additional extension in the future, though I'd extend it further down Bay Street to Fillmore to better serve the Marina)
Yeah, I'm not sure why they didn't build it all the way out from the beginning. Not sure if it was a funding issue.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2022, 3:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

Looks good overall. Theres a few things that bug me though. For one I'm not sure what the point of the stainless and glass canopies over the stairs and escalators are. Seems to me they are completely unneccesary, look strange inside the arched ceiling station space and the station would have looked larger, more open and better without them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation