HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:46 AM

In terms of the US...

1) Chicago: to me it's the ultimate city skyline. Perfect layers, balance, distinctiveness, good peaks, nice mix of eras, etc.

2) Los Angeles: it's not the biggest, but it has one of the more iconic skylines around and I appreciate the distinctive Po-Mo buildings that add a variety of colours and shapes, while there's still City Hall and a layer of Art Deco and some newer stuff to balance it out

3) New York: I feel like this needs to at least be in the top 3 just for its sheer size and impressiveness, but it's not my favourite. Maybe I've seen it too much, I'm not sure. The Downtown Skyline feels very underwhelming because the buildings are just huddled together and don't stand out super well, except for WTC. And WTC being so much taller just makes it seem lopsided and makes the rest feel stubby by comparison. It probably needs another 2-5 distinctive (non-skinny please) skyscrapers above 300m to balance it better. The Midtown skyline is more interesting but it also feels very chaotic, unbalanced, and messy. It's more substantial but I also feel like there aren't really good angles of it for some reason. The skinny towers don't help.

4) Seattle: not much to say other than Seattle to me is an exemplar of the imposing American-style CBD ringed by mid-low density neighbourhoods and winding freeways and it has some of my favourite skyscrapers (Rainier, Columbia, Smith)

5) San Francisco: This skyline really rose in prominence for me after Salesforce, but it always held a special place for me due to TransAmerica, also love the bridges and hills to add dimensions to the CBD

6) Pittsburgh: not a big skyline by any stretch, but very well done

7) Philadelphia: very much a "glow up" from the 1970s and despite the predominance of newer towers, manages to have distinctive focal points unlike Toronto or Miami

8) Portland: probably one of my more controversial ones as Portland's skyline doesn't really stick out in most people's minds compared with other big West Coast cities, but it has a nice eclectic mix of colours and, again, some of my favourite buildings (KOIN, the Big Pink, Wells Fargo, 1000 Broadway, etc)

9) Detroit: Detroit's skyline is probably one I like more in theory than in practice. When you can get a view from inside the city, such as from the north looking south, it's easily in the top 5, because all those Art Deco era skyscrapers are prominent, but the most accessible views from around the river are so dominated by Ren Cen that it's sort of like the Downtown Manhattan issue

10) Dallas: it's just a fun skyline, what can I say?

In terms of Canada...

1) Toronto: hard to dispute such an king in skyscrapers, particularly considering how much its grown. I do lament the shrouding of the old bank towers from the lake view and lack of non-CN observation decks to take in the skyline from, say, Yorkville (besides expensive lounges). My main issue is that the more distinctive towers have been engulfed by Vancouverism, so it's just the CN Tower and endless nameless blue, but new proposals seem to upending that a bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clementlo/52428087621/

2) Montreal: almost as good as Toronto for me and although I don't like many of the new towers, they haven't engulfed the older 1960s-1990s towers (yet) and so Montreal's skyline remains very distinctive to me. Some of the new towers aren't bad, either, but I do love Sun Life, Gauchetiere, CIBC, PVM, Bourse, etc. Do wish they got rid of that height limit, though as it's starting to become a tall Ottawa in areas.

https://www.facebook.com/jfsavariaphotographe

3) Calgary: my only gripe is that the city is too eager to build twin towers. They're fine in moderation but start to be distracting in their repetitiveness after a while. It's also perhaps the only Canadian skyline where the new major towers don't just turn into an anonymous blob. The Bow, Brookfield, and Telus compliment Bankers Hall and Suncor and there's a litany of interesting shapes and designs throughout the skyline. Impressive too for its size to have such a skyline.

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...8#post-1758354

4) Edmonton: biggest change over the last decade, even with only a handful of big changes. Feels refreshed and modernized, while still complementing what existed from the 20th century, so avoiding a slip into Vancouverist tower development. The glass towers are just another layer, rather than *the* layer.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1574071543780741120

5) Vancouver: not the hugest fan just because of how cookie cutter all the condos look, but it's not bad if they're off to the side and you get to see the old office towers around Burrard or the pre-war skyscrapers in the DTES (which are some of the best high-rises in Canada)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aerojad/52334984558/

6) Quebec City: small but classic and extremely well done

https://www.instagram.com/zeshelter/

The rest I don't find particularly interesting, though Winnipeg, Halifax, and Victoria have some charms.

Outside of North America...

1) Shanghai
2) Hong Kong
3) London
4) Moscow
5) Melbourne
6) Guangzhou
7) Dubai
8) Singapore
9) Frankfurt
10) Tokyo

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:53 AM

There are some weird preferences here. NYC below Phoenix, when NYC has half of the highrises in the U.S. Not sure how any U.S. list can't have NYC at the top. It's like claiming that Indy tops Silcon Valley in tech.

And hating on Dubai while ranking Chinese cities tops? Excepting maybe Shanghai, mainland Chinese cities are basically bad versions of Dubai. I don't see how you can like Shenzhen while disliking Dubai.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:57 AM
Dryer lint inspector

It's called differences of opinion. They do exist...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It's called differences of opinion. They do exist...
Not really, though. All opinions aren't equally valid, and subjectivity doesn't mean absence of logic.

If I say Indy has the top tech scene on the planet, or Argentina has the most stable currency, it isn't really a valid opinion. Similarly, if we're talking about ranking skylines, with no consideration of actual buildings, it doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:06 AM
devout Pizzatarian

How is everyone in this thread completely overlooking Jacksonville?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:14 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Not really, though. All opinions aren't equally valid, and subjectivity doesn't mean absence of logic.

If I say Indy has the top tech scene on the planet, or Argentina has the most stable currency, it isn't really a valid opinion. Similarly, if we're talking about ranking skylines, with no consideration of actual buildings, it doesn't make sense.
Liking one skyline over another is not the same as erroneously saying Indy is the world's tech leader. Ranking of skylines is pure aesthetics and personal taste. The Empire State and Chrysler buildings are my top two favorites but midtown skyline is becoming a hot mess.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
this is mine but flip tiers 4 and 5. the setting of both, the massing of seattle's, the sheer size of miami's win out easily
That works too. There are no wrong opinions. I just favor more mature skylines with some height, some larger footprint buildings, masonry over glass, and that classic pyramidal shape. Also not too many residential towers. I don't like skylines that just resemble giant stacks of balconies because I think that'll age horribly.

And nothing weird either. It's not good when your skyline looks like the display shelves at the olde adult toy shoppe.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Liking one skyline over another is not the same as erroneously saying Indy is the world's tech leader. Ranking of skylines is pure aesthetics and personal taste. The Empire State and Chrysler buildings are my top two favorites but midtown skyline is becoming a hot mess.
If you think Las Vegas or Phoenix are in the top ten, much less in any way approaching NYC, then I just can't take you seriously. You're making an elaborate joke that is going to fly over all of our heads.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:42 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
How is everyone in this thread completely overlooking Jacksonville?
You think that's bad I have yet to see Waco, Texas mentioned even once. Best skyline in the world if you ask me.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:50 AM

NYC should be near the top of the list based on size alone (I have it ranked #1 overall) but aesthetically I can see why some people might not like it. There are individual clusters of buildings (that would make impressive skylines on their own) that I find visually pleasing, but as a whole, from a distance, Manhattan just looks like a bed of nails, with no discernable overall shape or profile. It's a little too much. I think the largest skyline with a pleasing shape is Chicago, as viewed from the east. For the same reason I don't really rate cities like Tokyo or Seoul with wall to wall skyscrapers. Great cities, but if you saw the Tokyo skyline as a silhouette would you even recognize it?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:33 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
If you think Las Vegas or Phoenix are in the top ten, much less in any way approaching NYC, then I just can't take you seriously. You're making an elaborate joke that is going to fly over all of our heads.
Am I supposed to care? The OP asked forumers opinions of their top skylines and they responded with their preferences. End of.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:26 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
A lot of people are sleeping on Boston. It's set to peak from a skyline perspective within the next 1-2 years, but let's give it its moment in the sun as a Top 10 candidate before it starts to fade back to the pack!

It has made a strong showing since 2015, and the 5 tallest in the current boom are actually taller than the 5 tallest before the boom! South Station Tower is just getting out of the ground but the rest are topped off or done. Boston has always had a lot of mass at the 150m+ level, but has now gone from 2 over 200m to 5 in a short period which is making a big difference. SST will make 6, and then there will be some infill and neighborhood talls, but unfortunately nothing groundbreaking in the foreseeable future.
For my list, the top 2 are pretty set and I think they would fall into most people's top 2. The next 2 are pretty easy picks as well.

For the next 6, I actually did consider Boston but it just didn't have the top end height or sheer scale (Philly/Houston/Miami/Atlanta) or a beautiful enough natural setting (Seattle/Pittsburgh), nor does it have an iconic/signature tower or structure that is instantly recognizable by the masses to elevate it into the top 10. It's probably sitting right at 11 on my list, although you could make compelling arguments for Dallas and Austin as well.

US:
NYC
Chicago
SF
LA
Seattle
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Miami
Houston
Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
In terms of the US...

1) Chicago: to me it's the ultimate city skyline. Perfect layers, balance, distinctiveness, good peaks, nice mix of eras, etc.

2) Los Angeles: it's not the biggest, but it has one of the more iconic skylines around and I appreciate the distinctive Po-Mo buildings that add a variety of colours and shapes, while there's still City Hall and a layer of Art Deco and some newer stuff to balance it out

3) New York: I feel like this needs to at least be in the top 3 just for its sheer size and impressiveness, but it's not my favourite. Maybe I've seen it too much, I'm not sure. The Downtown Skyline feels very underwhelming because the buildings are just huddled together and don't stand out super well, except for WTC. And WTC being so much taller just makes it seem lopsided and makes the rest feel stubby by comparison. It probably needs another 2-5 distinctive (non-skinny please) skyscrapers above 300m to balance it better. The Midtown skyline is more interesting but it also feels very chaotic, unbalanced, and messy. It's more substantial but I also feel like there aren't really good angles of it for some reason. The skinny towers don't help.

4) Seattle: not much to say other than Seattle to me is an exemplar of the imposing American-style CBD ringed by mid-low density neighbourhoods and winding freeways and it has some of my favourite skyscrapers (Rainier, Columbia, Smith)

5) San Francisco: This skyline really rose in prominence for me after Salesforce, but it always held a special place for me due to TransAmerica, also love the bridges and hills to add dimensions to the CBD

6) Pittsburgh: not a big skyline by any stretch, but very well done

7) Philadelphia: very much a "glow up" from the 1970s and despite the predominance of newer towers, manages to have distinctive focal points unlike Toronto or Miami

8) Portland: probably one of my more controversial ones as Portland's skyline doesn't really stick out in most people's minds compared with other big West Coast cities, but it has a nice eclectic mix of colours and, again, some of my favourite buildings (KOIN, the Big Pink, Wells Fargo, 1000 Broadway, etc)

9) Detroit: Detroit's skyline is probably one I like more in theory than in practice. When you can get a view from inside the city, such as from the north looking south, it's easily in the top 5, because all those Art Deco era skyscrapers are prominent, but the most accessible views from around the river are so dominated by Ren Cen that it's sort of like the Downtown Manhattan issue

10) Dallas: it's just a fun skyline, what can I say?

In terms of Canada...

1) Toronto: hard to dispute such an king in skyscrapers, particularly considering how much its grown. I do lament the shrouding of the old bank towers from the lake view and lack of non-CN observation decks to take in the skyline from, say, Yorkville (besides expensive lounges). My main issue is that the more distinctive towers have been engulfed by Vancouverism, so it's just the CN Tower and endless nameless blue, but new proposals seem to upending that a bit.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clementlo/52428087621/

2) Montreal: almost as good as Toronto for me and although I don't like many of the new towers, they haven't engulfed the older 1960s-1990s towers (yet) and so Montreal's skyline remains very distinctive to me. Some of the new towers aren't bad, either, but I do love Sun Life, Gauchetiere, CIBC, PVM, Bourse, etc. Do wish they got rid of that height limit, though as it's starting to become a tall Ottawa in areas.

https://www.facebook.com/jfsavariaphotographe

3) Calgary: my only gripe is that the city is too eager to build twin towers. They're fine in moderation but start to be distracting in their repetitiveness after a while. It's also perhaps the only Canadian skyline where the new major towers don't just turn into an anonymous blob. The Bow, Brookfield, and Telus compliment Bankers Hall and Suncor and there's a litany of interesting shapes and designs throughout the skyline. Impressive too for its size to have such a skyline.

https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/fo...8#post-1758354

4) Edmonton: biggest change over the last decade, even with only a handful of big changes. Feels refreshed and modernized, while still complementing what existed from the 20th century, so avoiding a slip into Vancouverist tower development. The glass towers are just another layer, rather than *the* layer.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1574071543780741120

5) Vancouver: not the hugest fan just because of how cookie cutter all the condos look, but it's not bad if they're off to the side and you get to see the old office towers around Burrard or the pre-war skyscrapers in the DTES (which are some of the best high-rises in Canada)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aerojad/52334984558/

6) Quebec City: small but classic and extremely well done

https://www.instagram.com/zeshelter/

The rest I don't find particularly interesting, though Winnipeg, Halifax, and Victoria have some charms.

Outside of North America...

1) Shanghai
2) Hong Kong
3) London
4) Moscow
5) Melbourne
6) Guangzhou
7) Dubai
8) Singapore
9) Frankfurt
10) Tokyo
Great commentary and analysis. I agree about your critique of NYC. Massive skyline, multi skylines, but maybe a case of excess. The skinny towers and even Hudson Yards detract. Chicago is much better aesthetically and has historical balance. Cincinnati is my favorite smaller skyline. Detroit has the historical towers which I like, and some of the newer ones are OK, but RenCen throws the balance off. Cleveland has classic Terminal Tower but needs a few more towers and infill to enter the top 10. Atlanta too spread out into separate clusters. Hard to tell where "downtown" is. Philadelphia is good. No problem telling where downtown is. L.A. by 2028 Olympics should be very impressive, might catch Houston, and is doing a good job of restoring the old buildings. San Diego where I live now has a nice setting on the bay, and a good number of 30-45 floor towers, mostly residential, but the problem is the nearby airport caps the buildings at 500'. So it is trending to a table top. Also need a few more distinctive buildings, not just Vancouver imports. Buildings with southwest Pacific flare. We have a few, but need more. Hopefully the height cap will be raised someday.

Last edited by CaliNative; Oct 25, 2022 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
A lot of people are sleeping on Boston. It's set to peak from a skyline perspective within the next 1-2 years, but let's give it its moment in the sun as a Top 10 candidate before it starts to fade back to the pack!

It has made a strong showing since 2015, and the 5 tallest in the current boom are actually taller than the 5 tallest before the boom! South Station Tower is just getting out of the ground but the rest are topped off or done. Boston has always had a lot of mass at the 150m+ level, but has now gone from 2 over 200m to 5 in a short period which is making a big difference. SST will make 6, and then there will be some infill and neighborhood talls, but unfortunately nothing groundbreaking in the foreseeable future.

2015-present boom by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0106 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1033 - R by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0053 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0901 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0121 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0122 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0070 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_0117 by David Z, on Flickr

Boston is stealthily climbing up the rankings.into the 9 or 10 spot in the U.S., and higher for aesthetics.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 11:43 AM

San Gimignano

Image sourced from Govisity: https://govisity.com/unesco-italy/hi...o-unesco-italy

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Skylines change when the observer moves to a new location.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
Skylines change when the observer moves to a new location.
Pretty sure they don't. The buildings stay exactly the same.

Actually, for the U.S., I don't think there's any plausible argument for Chicago not at #2 too. Chicago has depth and breadth that's completely unmatched, outside of NY. Chicago has a skyscraper heritage that's easily #2 on the planet, and the numbers that put it easily #2 in the U.S.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

1. Jacksonville
68. Toronto

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:52 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Pretty sure they don't. The buildings stay exactly the same.

Actually, for the U.S., I don't think there's any plausible argument for Chicago not at #2 too. Chicago has depth and breadth that's completely unmatched, outside of NY. Chicago has a skyscraper heritage that's easily #2 on the planet, and the numbers that put it easily #2 in the U.S.
Right, and I think you can make a strong case for SF/LA being 3/4 or 4/3 depending on your preference for water/hills vs mountains/palms.

Overall the top 4 spots are fairly unanimous.

Took this about 5 years ago. I should take an updated one:

Last edited by homebucket; Oct 25, 2022 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:53 PM

Quote:
There are some weird preferences here. NYC below Phoenix, when NYC has half of the highrises in the U.S. Not sure how any U.S. list can't have NYC at the top. It's like claiming that Indy tops Silcon Valley in tech.

And hating on Dubai while ranking Chinese cities tops? Excepting maybe Shanghai, mainland Chinese cities are basically bad versions of Dubai. I don't see how you can like Shenzhen while disliking Dubai.
Dubai's skyline looks pretty ugly to me, but I won't argue against it going onto a lot of top 10 lists.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions