HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
The developer is LCOR, not Buccini Pollin. BPG will own/operate the hotel which is being renovated and rebranded as a Marriott, LCOR will own/operate the apartment building. There will be some shared amenities between the buildings, which is apparently still being negotiated between the companies.
Just wanted to update -- looks like work on the conversion of the hotel from the Sheraton Society Hill to Marriott Old City is almost over, Clemens is the GC. The "new" hotel is operating while renovations takes place in other parts of the building. But the reviews thus far are very solid on hotel/travel sites.

So does this mean that construction for the tower will be starting very soon?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2019, 12:34 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Just wanted to update -- looks like work on the conversion of the hotel from the Sheraton Society Hill to Marriott Old City is almost over, Clemens is the GC. The "new" hotel is operating while renovations takes place in other parts of the building. But the reviews thus far are very solid on hotel/travel sites.

So does this mean that construction for the tower will be starting very soon?
The photo above is the renovations of the existing hotel since it has changed brands. Renovations have been happening since Spring until now.

I haven't seen any activity on the corner where the high rise is proposed. I'm there pretty often and can provide a status update as soon as any indication of work begins.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 1:37 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Any legal updates? It's a by-right build, but the NIMBY Old City neighborhood association sued and I think it's above the Court of Common Pleas now in their appeal process.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Oct 13, 2019 at 1:56 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 5:27 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Any legal updates? It's a by-right build, but the NIMBY Old City neighborhood association sued and I think it's above the Court of Common Pleas now in their appeal process.
??? Didn't the NIMBY Old City neighborhood organization go defunct a couple of years ago after their frivolous suit happiness made them lose their insurance? This seems more like the work of the NIMBY Society Hill organization to me...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
??? Didn't the NIMBY Old City neighborhood organization go defunct a couple of years ago after their frivolous suit happiness made them lose their insurance? This seems more like the work of the NIMBY Society Hill organization to me...
It is. Paul Boni. And this parcel is in Society Hill. The Southern side of Walnut and south of that (till hitting Queen Village) is Society Hill. I don't know the status of any appeals as to this, though.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
It is. Paul Boni. And this parcel is in Society Hill. The Southern side of Walnut and south of that (till hitting Queen Village) is Society Hill. I don't know the status of any appeals as to this, though.
The civic assocation dropped their appeal though the Towers owner association hired Richard Demarco to appeal the common pleas court decision to commonwealth court. Just a matter of time here, the nimby's don't have a real case.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 1:36 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^^^
Thanks for the update, all!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 6:05 PM

From the highrise thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...head-with.html

LCOR closes on Society Hill site, moves ahead with plans for 31-story tower
Quote:
The proposed apartment tower has been tied up in litigation, though LCOR Senior Vice President Pete DiLullo III said in an email the company is moving ahead with construction drawings. The development, which would have 272 apartments, has been met with fierce resistance from community groups for its size, traffic concerns, design and potential to block views.

The Philadelphia Zoning Board of Adjustment last year denied a request by the Society Hill Civic Association and Society Hill Towers Owners Association to halt what is a by-right project. The property is zoned CMX-3, which allows for mixed-use development.

As a result of the board’s decision, Society Hill Towers went forward with a lawsuit in the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas to stop the project only to have the court rule in favor of LCOR last fall. The court affirmed LCOR's as-of-right zoning permit as well as the zoning board of adjustment's denial of the permit's appeal. Society Hill Towers has appealed that ruling to Commonwealth Court.

“The zoning process is going as anticipated,” DiLullo said.

Advocates of preserving Society Hill and limiting development in the Philadelphia neighborhood were delivered a setback at the end of last year when Mayor Jim Kenney used his authority under what is called a pocket veto to essentially kill legislation proposed for the neighborhood. The bills were introduced by Councilman Mark Squilla and would have made it more difficult to develop affordable housing in the neighborhood, limited the height of new buildings and implemented new parking requirements on new construction. Squilla has since reintroduced those bills.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 7:57 PM

**Rolls eyes at Society Hill Civic Association**

Just build the damn thing!

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 10:36 PM

While I will be excited to see this tower built, I do have to say that I hate these brick bases that are so poorly integrated into the glass tower. This and Cathedral Place. Looks terrible. W hotel looks much better as it's a gray stone base with some material in a similar color integrated as vertical stripes all the way up the tower.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 2:36 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^

I think One Dock Street has a way better integration of the brick with glass. Maybe it is the darker brick used or maybe a better base design or the combo of the two, but there's more interest to its base. On the contrary, Cathedral Place looks like the glass with slap together with the minimal brick base. I don't even see at least 3 corners of the building having brick. It just looks disjointed and without much effect to the base design.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:00 PM

I wonder if there will be any lighting on the crown of the tower; it always amazing me how residential towers lack exterior lighting; Society Hill towers is completely dark so at night you wouldn't know its there; not even red blinking lights for aircraft. Saint James which is quite tall use to have its crown lit but if it is its barely noticeable now.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
While I will be excited to see this tower built, I do have to say that I hate these brick bases that are so poorly integrated into the glass tower. This and Cathedral Place. Looks terrible. W hotel looks much better as it's a gray stone base with some material in a similar color integrated as vertical stripes all the way up the tower.
Yeah, let's build a classy modern high-rise but make sure the base is brick so as not to offend the neighbors. Such a cop out and shows a real lack of creativity and boldness on the part of the architects. I get it's safe (or you could say conservative) but the brick base/glass tower formula is not only boring, it's so fucking over-used. The worse offender is 2116 Chestnut.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Yeah, let's build a classy modern high-rise but make sure the base is brick so as not to offend the neighbors. Such a cop out and shows a real lack of creativity and boldness on the part of the architects. I get it's safe (or you could say conservative) but the brick base/glass tower formula is not only boring, it's so fucking over-used. The worse offender is 2116 Chestnut.
We may be saying the opposite thing, though. I'm bored of the ubiquitous glass towers. They're already tired and retrograde now. Yes, if they are going to keep doing them, don't have a completed disjointed base. But I'm fine with a handsome brick base IF they would integrate brick into the facade for architectural interest and cohesiveness. Ribbons of brick cladding the slab edge covers would have looked nice here, for example https://www.phila.gov/media/20200122...08616698.1.pdf It can be done in a fresh and modern way.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2020, 6:50 PM
build awesome buildings

nothing major to report, but an updated rendering of the base is shown on LCOR’s website for those who were anti the original base:

https://www.lcor.com/development

hopefully this will get moving sometime soon - i haven’t seen any signs of progress when walking by lately.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
nothing major to report, but an updated rendering of the base is shown on LCOR’s website for those who were anti the original base:

https://www.lcor.com/development

hopefully this will get moving sometime soon - i haven’t seen any signs of progress when walking by lately.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 3:25 PM
PHL

Not a huge fan of the blocky gray base of the building but don't honestly care just BUILD baby!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 7:18 PM

Quote:
On Friday, the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania denied the appeal from Society Hill Towers Owners Association and affirmed ZBA's zoning permit for 1 Dock Street, allowing a 31-floor tower addition to the existing hotel to proceed.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...elphiaplanners

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 10:56 PM

Yimby!!!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:00 PM

Suck it, SH(i)TOA!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive