HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 9:23 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
I know. It's crazy to me the number of developments in that small pocket in the Loop on Wabash.. I really don't see the appeal of that area but I'm also not the one going through with those projects lol.
That area has so much potential. There is a lot of charm from the early "skyscrapers" IMO. If there's ever any movement on the UNESCO world heritage status, that area would surely pop off.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
To me it's bulky and stout with too much parking. It's not ugly, but it could use some slimming.

I love this artwork..... Totally hope it makes it into the final design. The rest of the building looks fine, but that cool corner artwork is a cool contrast.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 11:32 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
I know. It's crazy to me the number of developments in that small pocket in the Loop on Wabash.. I really don't see the appeal of that area but I'm also not the one going through with those projects lol.
The area lacks a lot of appeal frankly because of all those surface lots to begin with. It can seem a bit of a barren wasteland. Wabash (and to a lesser extent State St) are absolutely littered with surface parking, both large and small lots, between Jackson and 8th St. Having these bite the dust will make those blocks feel more lively and "finished", instead of having a "backwater of downtown" feel like they currently do.

Can't wait to see this part of the Loop fill out!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 11:36 PM

A few other benefits of Wabash are the presence of multiple universities and theatres in the area, as well as access to Grant Park. The L that runs between Wabash and State probably makes small scale development difficult. Everything new has a massive parking podium to block the effects of the train.

I'd love to see the Jewel on Roosevelt & Wabash get the Clark & Division treatment. I think that could be a huge catalyst.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 12:31 AM
TL;DR

Wabash already feels much better. As much as it has lots of parking lots now, it was much worse 10-15 years ago.

The recent batch of projects (Hilton Garden Inn, East-West university, Columbia Student center, 30 E Balbo) really improved the feel.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 9:32 AM

Yeah it's hard to believe that on the Van Buren/Wabash corner there are three surface lots. Maybe the residential development will help get rid of some of the empty store fronts that are a blight. As much of a transit nexus as the area is (subway, elevated & metra South Shore) there isn't much pedestrian traffic.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 3:05 PM

Quote:
To me it's bulky and stout with too much parking. It's not ugly, but it could use some slimming.

https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...esentation.pdf

Just when I think SCB has turned a corner they show us this dud -- a boring tower atop a gross podium. Looks like it belongs in a mid-tier sunbelt city.

The proposed art installation is interesting but doesn't make up for the rest of this underwhelming mess.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 4:10 PM

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...-more-parking/
Quote:
Neighbors Want 17-Story Fulton Market Office Building Near Train Lines To Include More Parking

The transit-oriented development is near several train lines and three bus stops. Developers are pitching 20 parking spots at the site, but Ald. Walter Burnett asked them to add more.
Representatives for the project said they felt “very confident” offering 20 parking spaces given the “transit-rich location.”
Still, Burnett said he would ask the developer to try to add more parking to the site.

Boo. I hope the addition is only like 4 or 5 extra spaces. A big parking podium would wreck this design.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...-more-parking/

Boo. I hope the addition is only like 4 or 5 extra spaces. A big parking podium would wreck this design.
Wish I had the energy/time to go to all these meeting. Hoping its 5 extra spaces too. Burnett has been pretty great about chopping parking. The ratios seem to have been getting less and less. (I'll just ignore the plumbers union parking garage mistake). Let's hope for a small loss here and a bigger win on that ugly podium proposal on Lake St.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 7:12 PM

In theory, the new TOD ordinance imposes a parking maximum of 0.5 and should be preventing 1338 W Lake St from having 201 parking spaces. In practice though, a developer can always ask for an administrative adjustment to increase the amount of parking. Here's hoping that the city takes some initiative and denies the request for more parking

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 4:12 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
I prefer the "bulky buildings". It really says "city of broad shoulders" to me. I don't like seeing all the parking though.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 7, 2023, 3:45 PM

Construction permits issued for 1112 W Carroll. This year is starting out with a bang

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Construction permits issued for 1112 W Carroll. This year is starting out with a bang
Since right before Christmas until the end of this week has seen 3 new high rises in West Loop permitted with nearly 1000 new units total.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Since right before Christmas until the end of this week has seen 3 new high rises in West Loop permitted with nearly 1000 new units total.
Yup! I also posted in the 640 W Washington thread that they've started their permit process. There are also 2000+ units proposed for LaSalle St, several as-of-right highrises planned for South Loop, and construction starts for Lincoln Yards.

This year is giving me 2017/2018 vibes, where we had 50+ cranes at one point.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2023, 10:17 PM

Speaking of the West Loop - Whatever happened to 170 Green Street? Last time I walked by the site (last month), it was still sitting there with no activity. I assumed construction would have commenced by now.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Speaking of the West Loop - Whatever happened to 170 Green Street? Last time I walked by the site (last month), it was still sitting there with no activity. I assumed construction would have commenced by now.
I would assume soon. Are there any pending permits?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 5:46 PM

Have I missed it, or has there already been any discussion of this 22 story apartment proposal in South Shore at 7162 South Exchange?

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/01...uth-shore-lot/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliusDoaner View Post
This is what the southside needs. I'd be shocked if this actually comes into fruition tho, nimby's will probably cry about tall buildings on that side of town
Looks like they already did, and the developers accommodated. "Model of Transformation submitted a 30-story proposal to city officials, but it scaled that plan back after it was rejected during an initial review process in October, Williams said."

There's a few other high rises right there off South Shore Dr. so I don't see how another 22 story building would be any different.

EDIT: I imbedded the rendering for others to view.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 8:42 PM

7162 S. Exchange Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
Have I missed it, or has there already been any discussion of this 22 story apartment proposal in South Shore at 7162 South Exchange?

You didn't miss anything... Hadn't been posted here.

Quote:
22-story, 153-unit high-rise
Quote:
“We want to bring density,” said Mark Buford, vice president for investments
[IMG]Model of Transformation submitted a 30-story proposal to city officials, but it scaled that plan back after it was rejected during an initial review process in October, Williams said.[/IMG]

[IMG]Some council affiliates also voiced concerns with the design, as its modern, colorful concept contrasts with the surrounding neighborhood.[/IMG]

At least they didn't complain about the height... the city did.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2023, 11:14 PM

360 N. Green

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations