HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 2:49 AM
Chicago

1400 S Wabash

February 7, 2022

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC_Zach View Post
Interesting they don't advertise the foundation work in place. That's worth something!
It's included in CBRE's marketing brochure.

Quote:
43 caissons were installed for the previous project’s foundation. The caissons remain in the ground and would support up to 24 stories

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 5:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
It's included in CBRE's marketing brochure.
Damn, those aerial views are pretty new, like from the past month or two.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:14 PM

So finally have the all clear to share this marketing animation my render studio created for 311 W Huron.

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
So finally have the all clear to share this marketing animation my render studio created for 311 W Huron.

Video Link
Amazing work!

Beautiful video and great looking mid sized office building. I really like the balconies with the curved walls.

Also love the very current final shot of the Salesforce construction

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 11:58 PM
BANNED

Is it just me or has development in River North/Streeterville slowed down tremendously? West Loop obviously continues to boom, South Loop has several projects under the way, but River North?? The Loop also...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:04 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoatman View Post
Is it just me or has development in River North/Streeterville slowed down tremendously? West Loop obviously continues to boom, South Loop has several projects under the way, but River North?? The Loop also...
There are projects on Wabash in the loop, not to mention the stuff going on in Lakeshore East, but overall there just isn't that much land to develop!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
There are projects on Wabash in the loop, not to mention the stuff going on in Lakeshore East, but overall there just isn't that much land to develop!
What's going on in Lakeshore East? And there's plenty of sufarce parking lots, nondescript 1 story buildings, gas stations, vacant lots (especially on the west side of River North going towards the Cabrini Green area) and THAT AWFUL RED LINE MCDONALDS that can be redeveloped, River North is no Manhattan! I get what you saying tho....Just seems like I haven't seen anything significant pop up in that area since One Chicago.

And I counted those Wabash projects as South Loop projects along with 1000M, guess my neighborhood boundary knowledge is wrong tho, those are Loop projects! which is good...

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 12:13 AM

315 N. May... The southern half of the 1112 W. Carroll/315 N. May development

02/08/22

160 N. Morgan

02/08/22

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:46 AM

Quote:
What's going on in Lakeshore East? And there's plenty of sufarce parking lots, nondescript 1 story buildings, gas stations, vacant lots (especially on the west side of River North going towards the Cabrini Green area) and THAT AWFUL RED LINE MCDONALDS that can be redeveloped, River North is no Manhattan! I get what you saying tho....Just seems like I haven't seen anything significant pop up in that area since One Chicago.

And I counted those Wabash projects as South Loop projects along with 1000M, guess my neighborhood boundary knowledge is wrong tho, those are Loop projects! which is good...
Lakeshore East is just about finished. Just 2 parcels to go, I think.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/8/30...opment-meeting

As for the area around Cabrini-Green, a lot of land is owned by Moody Bible, which has a mega development on the table. But a lot of the offices in River North may have to convert to apartments so if I were a developer, it would be a wait and see situation.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11...-bible-campus/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post

As for the area around Cabrini-Green, a lot of land is owned by Moody Bible, which has a mega development on the table. But a lot of the offices in River North may have to convert to apartments so if I were a developer, it would be a wait and see situation.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/11...-bible-campus/
Thanks for posting these. I think one of the reasons we aren't seeing a ton of construction in River North is there just isn't much of a center of gravity up there for rapid growth. We got One Chicago Square, and I'm sure we might see a couple other cool skyscrapers go up in the next boom up there, but beyond that... Is there a major catalyst? Maybe once Lincoln Yards starts getting going, there might be a little more gas to build some stuff in River North.

Remember, this isn't the Beige 2000s era where we had 100 600-foot condo towers going up all at once.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:15 PM
The City

There doesn't need to be a catalyst for growth in RN. Slowly but surely, lots will continue to get developed. High condo and rental prices and occupancy will drive it.

West Loop is booming now for factors that perhaps don't totally make sense. I think some of it has to do with the clustering factor--it's an exciting area so people and money flock together. River North is just plodding along at its usual, or perhaps slower pace.

But we also need to remember that the late 90's and the aughts were the time when River North was bursting at the seams. The beige rally, as I like to call it. Now things have simmered down.

West Loop will eventually slow down as well. I just hope to see a cohesive streetscape there some day, where you aren't interrupted by parking lots and auto repair shops. We are getting there slowly...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:27 PM

West Loop is booming now because the center of gravity has shifted to the NW side. No one wants to take the godawful Chicago bus across from Milwaukee Ave in the morning to go to work in River North. They are totally OK taking the Blue Line to West Loop.

As others have mentioned, the truly desireable parts of River North have been filled in, there are not many lots South of Chicago left to build on. Who wants to invest in the wasteland North of Chicago that has almost no urban fabric left?

The appeal of the West Loop is the location and the bones. It was irrationally held down as an industrial district despite it's excellent proximity to downtown, transit, and freeways. As soon as the city decided it was to be residential and office instead, the floodgates opened. The existing warehouses and industrial buildings were an adaptive reuse gold mine and define the character and desireability people are looking for today.

That's exactly what happened in River North 25 or so years ago when Friedman cracked that whole area open. What Sterling Bay did to the West Loop is almost identical in process and reason.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post

JDL isn't a wait and see sort of developer. Seems like they are consistently one of the fastest developers in the city in terms of time between announcing a project and that projects construction.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
West Loop is booming now because the center of gravity has shifted to the NW side. No one wants to take the godawful Chicago bus across from Milwaukee Ave in the morning to go to work in River North. They are totally OK taking the Blue Line to West Loop.

As others have mentioned, the truly desireable parts of River North have been filled in, there are not many lots South of Chicago left to build on. Who wants to invest in the wasteland North of Chicago that has almost no urban fabric left?

The appeal of the West Loop is the location and the bones. It was irrationally held down as an industrial district despite it's excellent proximity to downtown, transit, and freeways. As soon as the city decided it was to be residential and office instead, the floodgates opened. The existing warehouses and industrial buildings were an adaptive reuse gold mine and define the character and desireability people are looking for today.

That's exactly what happened in River North 25 or so years ago when Friedman cracked that whole area open. What Sterling Bay did to the West Loop is almost identical in process and reason.
Damn, you're not lying. Just went on google maps and the drop off of urbanity once you go north of chicago ave is crazy. That moody redevelopment cant come soon enough...

From Chicago ave to the south, Division to the north, La Salle to the east, and the river to the west is basically a wasteland...

Last edited by thegoatman; Feb 9, 2022 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
JDL isn't a wait and see sort of developer. Seems like they are consistently one of the fastest developers in the city in terms of time between announcing a project and that projects construction.
Yes, if this was Related Midwest I'd assume I'll be collecting social security before they turn over a ceremonial spade in the dirt. JDL doesn't sit around doing nothing for long at all.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Yes I noticed that too...the Loop core seemed like it was the hot place to be for a minute in the early to mid 2000's but the west loop seemed to take that steam away. I still think the loop has so much potential that no other part of the city does...continuing transforming the old office buildings into residential and creating distinct sections or parts of the loop\south loop.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:55 PM
The City

North of Chicago is still in good shape and prime for development. I mean, the most expensive condos in the entire midwest are located in that building by JDL north of Chicago Ave.

Make no mistake, West Loop is becoming its own thing. But when things shake out, I kind of think that north will still carry more of a premium than west ever will. That's an age old geographic reality in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 2:57 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
Yes I noticed that too...the Loop core seemed like it was the hot place to be for a minute in the early to mid 2000's but the west loop seemed to take that steam away. I still think the loop has so much potential that no other part of the city does...continuing transforming the old office buildings into residential and creating distinct sections or parts of the loop\south loop.
The Loop will have its ups and downs, but it will never not be the core of the city.

I mean, just look at the architecture and the history. Nothing that has ever been built in River North, Streeterville, or the West Loop can ever come close to comparing. It is a legendary city center. The whole damn Loop needs to become a UNESCO World Heritage site some day

Old Posted Feb 9, 2022, 3:02 PM

river north has a steady stream of residential for-sale projects... almost every new build condo starts a $1.5 million.... any many apartment projects as well.

versus west loop, I'd say different phases in their development

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations