HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 7:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Now I'm embarrassed. I also studied 'Art History' in college [my minor] & I've actually been to both places. DOH!

Feldherrnhalle in Munich.

lu-gerda's travels

Sadly, Feldherrnhalle played a sinister role during Hitler's rule.

that's One reason I was surprised when I saw what the Forest Lawn Museum looked like.

__
That LA Forest Lawn Museum is certainly a miniature of the original. Rather wimpy also.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:

GSV

update:

I'm sad to announce 3974 Wilshire Blvd. was recently torn down.

Yes, one of the last remaining single-family houses on Wilshire Boulevard has been torn down.... it was the home of actor-turned-director Frank Borzage for a couple of decades.

Here's a view of the rear of the house in better days: Frank and Rena Borzage pose with a 1930 Cadillac V-16...note the turntable.

The full story of the house is here

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 8:17 PM

The Perelson Case house...still drifting along

Not much cracking at the Los Feliz Murder/Suicide house since it finally sold for $2.3 million in 2016. It was gated last year, but recent permits reveal almost nothing. Next year will mark the 60th anniversary of the crime.

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 2, 2018 at 5:19 AM. Reason: replacement post

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:57 AM

'mystery' location

The seller (from the U.K.) describes this snapshot as...

Photograph of Newton, Los Angeles? USA or "Newton, L.A."

EBAY

I don't know what the seller means by 'Newton' (and as you no doubt noticed> a question mark is included in the first description)

Here's a closer look.

detail

This definitely looks like Los Angeles. I thought if we work together we might be able to figure out the exact location.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

F.Y.I.

The seller also has three additional photographs labeled pretty such the same: "Newton, Los Angeles" with the addition of school or military academy.

#1 EBAY
#2 EBAY
#3 EBAY

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 2, 2018 at 3:12 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:21 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

The seller (from the U.K.) describes this snapshot as...

Photograph of Newton, Los Angeles? USA or "Newton, L.A."

EBAY

I don't know what the seller means by 'Newton' (and as you no doubt noticed> a question mark is included in the first description)

Here's a closer look.

detail

This definitely looks like Los Angeles. I thought if we work together we might be able to figure out the exact location.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

F.Y.I.

The seller also has three additional photographs labeled pretty such the same: "Newton, Los Angeles" with the addition of school or military academy.

#1 EBAY
#2 EBAY
#3 EBAY

_
I see a Eucalyptus tree, a Liquidamber, and a possible Ginkgo. There, e_r. That should narrow it down...

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:21 AM

Neutra (not Newton? :)

Quote:
'mystery' location

_
The Josef Kun House I at 7960 Fareholm, designed with Gregory Ain.

This and other pictures at http://www.usmodernist.org/neutra.htm

Last edited by Lorendoc; Jul 2, 2018 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location

Here's a closer look.

detail

Are we looking up from N. Fairfax Ave., just north of Hollywood Blvd? In the ebay photo, the multi-level house at upper
center, below the road and flanked by retaining walls, is 7960 Fareholm Dr. Below and to the right of that house, with
a turret on its SE corner, is 7927 Hillside Ave. The house nearest the upper left corner of the photo, with the barely
discernible round roof, I believe is 8005 Fareholm.

Below, 7960 Fareholm is circled, 7927 Hillside has a red dot, and 8005 Fareholm has a yellow dot:

Google Aerial

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:39 AM

Thanks for the follow-ups on the 1939 Los Angeles Soap Box Derby Map Noir_Noir and HossC. I appreciate it.
I'll pay you back with...a 'mystery' location. You're welcome

I realize Los Angeles County is HUGE, but I thought these slides were too much fun to pass up.

Los Angeles County CA Original Photo 1950s Go Karts track Midget racing cars

EBAY

Cutest Dang Cars I've Ever Seen

far left close-up from the above slide

There's a R.R. sign just beyond the pinkish car (so obviously there's a railroad track next to the race track) I don't miss nuthin'

And they're off! Vrooom!

EBAY

In this view you can clearly see a large industrial area in the distance.

Here's a closer look at the building closest to the race track (I believe the r.r. track runs directly behind it) or does it?). There's a name on bldg. but it's impossible to read.

detail slide #2

One last slide:

The little brat that's ahead.

EBAY

Good Luck Sleuths!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 2, 2018 at 5:05 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:03 AM

more Neutra

Quote:
'mystery' location

_
The one on the right is Ralph Waldo Emerson Middle School in Westwood:

GSV

Neutra also did the California Military Academy on Angeles Vista, but this was torn down.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Jul 2, 2018 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:30 AM

You and Flyingwedge are on a tear! Thanks for figuring out the pics and locations. (so it was NEUTRA not NEWTON..maybe we should tell the seller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Physique Pictorial, December 1966

Taken in the garden of the Lucien Brunswig house.
______It looks like he's posing at a tea party.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 3, 2018 at 12:43 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 6:23 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;8239039]\I realize Los Angeles County is HUGE, but I thought these slides were too much fun to pass up.

Good Luck Sleuths! [/QUOTE

For what it's worth, and assuredly it's not worth much, there was a Stoddard Fire Extinguisher Company at 3908 E. Slauson in Maywood in the 50s-60s. Maybe the race course was in the Maywood/Vernon area - highly industrialized, railroad tracks around, and vegetation along the river seen in the distance.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:43 PM

It looks like midget racing had several venues in the Valley--the Crescenta Valley Quarter Midget Association got approval for a track on Glendale city property at the western end of Colorado St and San Fernando Road in July 1956...(that green '56 Ford Parklane looks new...the other cars are '55 Fords...the pink one is a '55 Dodge that could be a rare LaFemme, but I doubt any of these guys would have been caught dead driving one...but I digress). I couldn't find it, but the building in the background might have been on San Fernando Rd--there are RR tracks and the river looking west from its intersection with Colorado Street, and there is a park just southeast of that junction today...

Then there was this in the LAT a few months later--

Maybe the Encino Velodrome is on the site of the Midget oval....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jul 2, 2018 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:53 PM

Quote:
At first I thought this was a branch of the USO but the billboard on the right says differently.

ebay (found quite some time ago)

per the billboard: Navy and Auxiliary Shore Station. (I'm not quite sure what that is)

. . . and before that it was home to the Charlie Chan Printing Co.

GSV / 2012
. . . . .

update:

I'm sad to announce 3974 Wilshire Blvd. was recently torn down.

GSV

1929 - Eastern view of Wilshire Boulevard, where it crosses Wilton

LAPL

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 3:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

______It looks like he's posing at a tea party.

I just noticed that the caption on the image of Lil' Arnie says that parts of the Brunswig house were used
in Sunset Boulevard. Nyet. The upstairs loggia behind him might give one that idea, but Norma actually
lived in another LA palazzo...this one:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 4:37 PM

Quote:
You and Flyingwedge are on a tear! Thanks for figuring out the pics and locations. (so it was NEUTRA not NEWTON..maybe we should tell the seller)
I asked one time if anyone ever contacted eBay sellers with info when a pic location, or other info, was discovered and could identify the photos, but I don't recall anyone answering.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 8:11 PM

The old old Los Angeles County Courthouse

John Temple built the old old courthouse in 1859 to be Los Angeles City Hall, but Los Angeles County took it over in 1861 and
used it as its courthouse until 1891. This photo of that building, looking SW from Main St., probably was taken in the summer
of 1891. Market Street runs along the north side of the building:

2003-0480 @ CA State Library

This advertisement may seem unrelated, but it's not (I think the guy was Professor J. J. Romig, not Romiz):

August 2, 1891, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Here is a close-up from the summer 1891 photo above. The poster in the red box is for the same Sunday August 2 Balloon
Ascension and Parachute Jump at Santa Monica from the LA Herald ad. To the left of the red box is a poster for a play
called "The Charity Ball." Below that poster a cannon guards the corner of the courthouse, and at left behind the end of the
courthouse awning is a one-story addition built onto the south or Court Street side of the building:

This photo looks east from Spring Street and was also taken in the summer of 1891, probably on the same day as the previous photo:

2003-0477 @ CA State Library

This close-up from the above photo provides a good look at the one-story addition to the old courthouse. A sign above
the addition says COUNTY TAX COLLECTOR. Behind the wagon at left are the two posters for the play and parachute
jump that we saw in the other summer 1891 photo:

Does anyone know when that addition was built onto the courthouse? I'd never noticed it before. We can see the addition
in this photo, which UCLA says was taken in 1885 but I think 1887 is more likely; behind the courthouse clocktower is the
U. S. Hotel, which was rebuilt in 1886-87 and looks to be in its final form here:

Islandora/UCLA/Seeing Sunset

In this close-up from the above photo, just to the right of center is a sign for Pacific Truck and Transfer, which is not in
that location (9 Market, in the SW corner of the Temple Block) until the 1887 LA City Directory:

Here's another shot with the addition on the south side of the courthouse. This photo may be c. 1886:

1989-0460 @ CA State Library

In this close-up from the previous image, we see the SW corner of the Temple Block. There's no sign for Pacific Truck
and Transfer, but an interesting wooden soldier between the two signs at left. And at right is that a water hose in front
of the courthouse?:

Here's a photo of the courthouse before the addition was built on the south side. We're looking NW with a bit of the
south end of the Temple Block at the right edge. LAPL says this photo was taken in 1869, but that's too soon; early-
to mid-1880s seems more likely to me:

00018454 @ LAPL

Just for fun, here's an earlier photo, dated 1880, from the same spot as the previous photo. Note the south end of the
Temple Block has no balustrade; does anyone know when the south end of the Temple Block was remodeled?:

Stereo-0387 @ CA State Library

Oh and the August 2, 1891, parachute jump in Santa Monica . . . it was sort of a dud:

August 3, 1891, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Jul 2, 2018 at 8:34 PM. Reason: little tweak

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 8:37 PM

Wow, Flyingwedge, Wow!

Wonderful pictures and information about the Old Courthouse. I didn't realize there was a courthouse before the old one next to the magnificent old Hall of Records.

Did you notice that there are no hands on the clock face in the first two photos showing the clock tower?

In my opinion, the clock tower looks like an earthquake hazard waiting to happen!

Last edited by LA Kitty Kat; Jul 2, 2018 at 8:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kitty Kat View Post
Wow, Flyingwedge, Wow!

Wonderful pictures and information about the Old Courthouse. I didn't realize there was a courthouse before the old one next to the magnificent old Hall of Records.

Did you notice that there are no hands on the clock face in the first two photos showing the clock tower?

In my opinion, the clock tower looks like an earthquake hazard waiting to happen!
Likely the clock was intentionally put out of commission by the removal of its hands. Newmark states that the Temple market building/court house was “ . . . not very well constructed. At last, the heavy rains of the early sixties played havoc with the tower, and toward the end of 1861 the clock had set such a pace for itself regardless of the rest of the universe that the newspapers were full of facetious jibes concerning the once serviceable timepiece . . . The clock, however, remained uncovered until Bullard demolished the building to make room for the present structure"--"uncovered," but likely also un-handed because the hands were misleading.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 9:47 PM

Thank you FW for the wonderful post. Incredible that the complete volume of space that the old courthouse occupied is now within City Hall.

I did think though that Temple built the structure as a market (with an assembly room above), maybe based on Faneuil Hall back in his hometown, hence "Market Street", although I don't know if it ever got used for that (Faneuil Hall was, in turn, in imitation of market buildings in English country market towns). The original French doors, seen in the oldest photo, could have made the ground floor pretty much open air when the market was in operation.

wiki

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I asked one time if anyone ever contacted eBay sellers with info when a pic location, or other info, was discovered and could identify the photos, but I don't recall anyone answering.
Yes, on rare occasions I have tactfully contacted eBay sellers to inform them of a photo location (i.e., an important/unique location ID is missing from their listing description -or- a photo location is incorrectly identified in the seller's description). I've even contacted a seller just to comment on the rarity or uniqueness of a photo and thank them for offering it for sale on eBay.

Most eBay sellers really appreciate receiving verifiable accurate information about a photo they have for sale. It ultimately benefits the buyer too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos