HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:39 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Well that certainly is... something.

It's hard to understand how a design firm could feel good about doing that... actually making that become an actual thing in that actual place.
My issue is actually less with the design (though there's clearly room for improvement) than the scale. These should definitely be at least 3 floors, preferably 4. At 2, I think they appear a little silly.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:41 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i cant imagine paying $260,000 actual US dollars for that
It's like there's some sort of captive audience for these. It's deliberate junk, and there are takers.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 10:50 PM

aesthetics/build quality aside, youre also wedged in directly next to the expressway (horrific air quality) and nothing within walking distance. just cant understand who it would appeal to at that price point

heres a timber loft duplex in bridgeport, more than double the size, right off the booming halsted strip, for less than 20k more. and a hell of a nicer place to come home to.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/35.../home/12639812

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
These are incredibly awful. Out of curiosity, why does that awfulness make sense to you? There's really no reason for it, it's practically gratuitous. Could do something at a pretty similar price point that sucks 75% less.
Out of curiosity - did you miss the "LOL" that clearly shows I think these units are a joke? Did you miss when I said the price per square footage (if accurate) is high for the area? Or are you just assuming things based on nothing that I even said. Maybe you should stop assuming.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 7:36 PM

Quote:
aesthetics/build quality aside, youre also wedged in directly next to the expressway (horrific air quality) and nothing within walking distance. just cant understand who it would appeal to at that price point

heres a timber loft duplex in bridgeport, more than double the size, right off the booming halsted strip, for less than 20k more. and a hell of a nicer place to come home to.

https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/35.../home/12639812
Not to get into a big thing about this, but the Archer development's clientele are those who came here from China and to some, this type of location isn't even a big deal to them. Location does suck, but you'd be surprised - my guess is that they will try and build up the ground floor space with more Chinese businesses (like what they did a little with the smaller Halsted & 26th). I just wouldn't count out the ability to attract business within their community if they have ~200 units that end up being mostly occupied. There's even a Chinese bakery that opened up recently on Ashland decently closeby to this that relocated from Chinatown. These units (and location) obviously suck but it'll be interesting to see, given that they're apparently selling out, if it brings some new business to the general are.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 9:38 PM

i guess im just not sure what difference that makes. whether youre from a different country or not, presumably if youre considering dropping good money on a unit youre still capable of making A/B comparisons on similar priced units within a 1/4-1/2 mile radius. im just not clear what the advantage is of buying this over anything else considering the premium. but as you said, clearly some people have decided its what they want. who knows.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
i guess im just not sure what difference that makes. whether youre from a different country or not, presumably if youre considering dropping good money on a unit youre still capable of making A/B comparisons on similar priced units within a 1/4-1/2 mile radius. im just not clear what the advantage is of buying this over anything else considering the premium. but as you said, clearly some people have decided its what they want. who knows.
If you have spent time in China, away from the tourist areas, and where people live you'll know there's a lot of people willing to buy there in areas that are very much in progress like this area of Archer. As long as there's a few things to walk to, which im sure they will work on, many won't have an issue with it. I also think you are underestimating a lot of Americans' ability to live in "whatever" areas.

I have also seen this play out in Queens when I lived there. Many times. There's a bunch of buildings built in auto sewer areas next to auto body shops and a quarter mile walk to Burger King. Nothing of note for everyday life nearbh. For $500K 1 bedrooms. People still bought them up.

Last edited by marothisu; Dec 9, 2022 at 10:38 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 10:34 PM

Yeah I mean if people will move to the exurbs where they have to drive 15 min to anything, I don't see why a similar concept would apply in the city (where you have to walk 15 min to get to anything lol). It seems like most Americans will sacrifice location and pay a premium for nice new housing (that's still more affordable than equivalent housing in a better location).

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Yeah I mean if people will move to the exurbs where they have to drive 15 min to anything, I don't see why a similar concept would apply in the city (where you have to walk 15 min to get to anything lol). It seems like most Americans will sacrifice location and pay a premium for nice new housing (that's still more affordable than equivalent housing in a better location).
Being in or near a certain community has its perks, however

Old Posted Dec 9, 2022, 11:29 PM

Marothisu, what's the name of the bakery? Would like to try.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
Marothisu, what's the name of the bakery? Would like to try.
Captain Bakery - 33rd and Ashland. There's another in Bridgeport that opened a few months back that's pretty good too called Nia.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Captain Bakery - 33rd and Ashland. There's another in Bridgeport that opened a few months back that's pretty good too called Nia.
Thank you!
And also to chime in , those condos for sure are kinda ugly but despite archer being a autosewer theres plenty of things to walk to in the area.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 4:10 AM

4 recent new construction building permit issuances. Someone already wrote about the new 6 story, 70 unit building permitted on Wednesday at a vacant lot at Roosevelt and Throop too so I'll skip that. In total, 250 new units permitted in the last week (tho 64 of them were originally permitted for basic permits in late Oct) across 2 new 5 story buildings, a 6 story building, a 4 story building, and 9 story building. 4 of those 5 buildings are going on vacant lots and another is going in place of a 1 story strip mall with small surface lot.

1) New 5 story, 56 unit building at 2924 W Medill in Logan Square. This is currently a vacant lot a few blocks from the California Blue Line stop and a block parallel to Milwaukee Ave. New construction permit was issued last Friday 12/2.

From: https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/03...site-in-april/

2) New 5 story, 42 unit building with ground floor retail at Farragut & Lincoln just north of Foster. Issued a permit last Friday 12/2. This was recently a 1 story strip mall with small surface lot, which was torn down earlier this year for this project. The developer, Regency Developer Group, is based in Northbrook and has some projects in the city, and has recently been branching out to develop a few in South Florida. This site is a block from another one of their projects (I think) at the intersection of Foster & Lincoln - also a 5 story, 42 unit building that was issued a permit in early October 2022. Both projects have architect as John Hanna.

More cookie cutter stuff, but I guess between these 2 buildings it's decent density for the area (84 new units on 2 new 5 story buildings, and a 1 story strip mall with small surface lot bites the dust for one of them.

From https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/zon...ln-square.html

3) Panoptic is building a new 4 story, 18 unit building with ground floor retail on Western & Farragut just north of Foster. The building permit for it was issued last Friday 12/2. This is currently a surface parking lot and a 1 story former bank building - 5235 N Western Ave. This is a big 18 units as apparently all of them are 4 bedrooms each. This is a block or so due west of the building in #2 above.

More recently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6891234

From http://www.panopticgroup.com/current-projects

Quote:
A premier contemporary industrial chic 18 unit building with an elevator and indoor heated garage parking. The building features single family like units with 4 bedroom each and attached heated 2 car parking garage for all units. Units will have private balconies and deck spaces. All Penthouse units will have great Chicago Skyline Views especially from the Roof Decks. Delivery is estimated Winter 2023.
4) Not sure if anyone wrote about it, but 1203 N California (California & Division) on a vacant lot across from Humboldt Park was issued new construction permits in late October as well as Tuesday 12/6. This will be a new 9 story, 95 foot tall affordable housing development from the Hispanic Housing Development Corporation and will have 64 apartments and ground floor commercial space.

From https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/12/pla...opment-at.html

Last edited by marothisu; Dec 10, 2022 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 8:55 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
4 recent new construction building permit issuances. Someone already wrote about the new 6 story, 70 unit building permitted on Wednesday at a vacant lot at Roosevelt and Throop too so I'll skip that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
1257 W Roosevelt got construction permits yesterday
FINALLY. Feels like it's been forever since I attended a public meeting for this, in the depths of the pandemic. We've got to get faster at building these mixed-income projects if we're ever gonna make a dent in the housing crisis. The community is fed up, this is why there's such anger at the Chicago Fire training facility.

Hopefully the other permit for the matching 2nd building on Roosevelt, and the mixed-use building at Taylor/Racine will come very soon as well.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 9:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:

3) Panoptic is building a new 4 story, 18 unit building with ground floor retail on Western & Farragut just north of Foster. The building permit for it was issued last Friday 12/2. This is currently a surface parking lot and a 1 story former bank building - 5235 N Western Ave. This is a big 18 units as apparently all of them are 4 bedrooms each. This is a block or so due west of the building in #2 above.

More recently: https://www.google.com/maps/place/52...!4d-87.6891234

From http://www.panopticgroup.com/current-projects

wow!

18 4-bedroom units?

you don't see that everyday.

and it eats up a stupid old suburban-style branch bank with parking lot and drive-thru!

too bad the parking ratio is super-sized to match.

oh well, can't win 'em all.

and with the two nearby projects over on lincoln, that's a total of 102 new units for north lincoln sqaure!

we need more of this stuff to keep offsetting the 2-flat decons around here. i'd love to see the trend migrate over to the western/foster intersection. it's currently a trainwreck shitshow development-wise: a gas station, a 7-11 with parking lot, an autorepair shop with parking lot, and a small gyros joint with parking lot.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9758...7i16384!8i8192

get rid of all that shit!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 10, 2022 at 10:10 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 5:01 AM
devout Pizzatarian

While we're on the topic of Lincoln square, here's a rendering of the other midrise development from Regency at the SE corner of Lincoln/Foster. It received it's permit back in October and demolition on the old Jimmy's pizza building is currently underway (a shame because unlike that craptacular strip mall just up the street that got demo'ed for their other project, the Jimmy's pizza building was a handsome 2 story red brick and terra cotta classic Chicago corner building).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
While we're on the topic of Lincoln square, here's a rendering of the other midrise development from Regency at the SE corner of Lincoln/Foster. It received it's permit back in October and demolition on the old Jimmy's pizza building is currently underway (a shame because unlike that craptacular strip mall just up the street that got demo'ed for their other project, the Jimmy's pizza building was a handsome 2 story red brick and terra cotta classic Chicago corner building).
Just a tiny bit south at 5113 N Lincoln as well, the site of this 2 story building has a zoning app to replace it with a new 4 story (46' tall) building with 9 units and ground floor commercial.

This 4 story building was also built in 2019 at 5137 N Lincoln, which was a vacant lot for 4 or 5 years before that.

Would be awesome if that area turned into a lot of 5+ story buildings on Lincoln at least.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2022, 5:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just a tiny bit south at 5113 N Lincoln as well, the site of this 2 story building has a zoning app to replace it with a new 4 story (46' tall) building with 9 units and ground floor commercial.

This 4 story building was also built in 2019 at 5137 N Lincoln, which was a vacant lot for 4 or 5 years before that.

Would be awesome if that area turned into a lot of 5+ story buildings on Lincoln at least.
5137 is very handsome. great infill.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 5:22 PM
urbanpln

Quote:
If you have spent time in China, away from the tourist areas, and where people live you'll know there's a lot of people willing to buy there in areas that are very much in progress like this area of Archer. As long as there's a few things to walk to, which im sure they will work on, many won't have an issue with it. I also think you are underestimating a lot of Americans' ability to live in "whatever" areas.

I have also seen this play out in Queens when I lived there. Many times. There's a bunch of buildings built in auto sewer areas next to auto body shops and a quarter mile walk to Burger King. Nothing of note for everyday life nearbh. For $500K 1 bedrooms. People still bought them up.
The explanation above is why I don't have a big problem with this new development. Yes, they are not very attractive and seem cheap, but they offer a product that could potentially help the city to grow. Inexpensive housing that will attract a growing immigrant population so that it doesn't have to go to the burbs. I drive down this stretch of Archer once a week. It has a lot of character in some areas but will never be a prime location due to its stroad like nature and close proximity to the expressway. A new population of immigrants could give this corridor a boast. It might not meet the expectations of many on this forum but it could be interesting.

There is also potential for parts of Archer to be built up with more density, and for BRT to be considered. It runs north and south between the airport and downtown cutting through Chinatown and many Latin neighborhoods. This could be one piece of the puzzle that helps the city grow in population.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:32 PM

New zoning app up to build a new 5 story, almost 70 foot tall, building with 136 apartments and only 34 parking spots at Fremont just south of Weed St. It is currently a surface parking lot and is next to SoNu Digs, near SoNo East, and a block from the new Big Deahl development under construction. It is a block or 2 at most from the North & Clybourn Red Line stop.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development