HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
And Miami just went GOP. So it must be all the people fleeing the anti-woke policies of DeSanctimonius.

If you read the business news, you would think that every single U.S. business and HNWI moved to Miami in the last few years. If you actually look at the data, South Florida is the slowest growing part of Florida. You'd think there are tumbleweeds in Silicon Valley and Hollywood and Wall Street and the Beltway.
The Miami hype machine is relentless. The massive campaign between Miami chamber of commerce, Miami realtors/brokers/developers and the media has no signs of letting up. Have seen "move to Miami" billboards in LA and SF and I just saw a national site report something like "Miami is the 5th most important city to high net worth individuals" because South Florida ranked #5 in prime property sales. Let's ignore and leapfrog over the top 4 to congratulate something for ranking #5. LOL. I have had multiple people randomly me pitch and try to convince me to invest in Miami luxury real estate. Haven't received solicitation like that from NYC/CA brokerages.

Last edited by YSL; Mar 3, 2023 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:37 PM

Quote:
So if Florida swings Dem in the coming years, which is definitely possible given the weird politics of the Latin community (Trumpy but pro-abortion, pro-Obamacare, pro-immigration, pro-higher taxes, etc.), you're telling me all the angry anti-woke, no-tax, F everyone else boomers are gonna move to Alabama? Highly unlikely.

Miami-Dade just went GOP four months ago. It was apparently a libtard enclave until last Nov. Orlando is getting bluer and is even faster growing than South Florida. So Orlando should now start declining? Too woke?
I think the noise about Florida becoming more conservative is a bit overblown. The Republicans did perform better in 2022 than they did in 2018, but the even bigger story is a collapse in Democratic participation:

2018 total votes for Florida governor: 8,220,561
2022 total votes for Florida governor: 7,720,523

DeSantis did receive more votes in 2022 than 2018, but there were at least 500,000 eligible voters that didn't bother to choose a governor. DeSantis would've still easily won if all those voters broke for Crist, but this looks like the first time in a while that Florida has had a smaller turnout between election cycles. And Crist got nearly 1 million fewer votes in 2022 than Andrew Gillum got in 2018.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YSL View Post
The Miami hype machine is relentless. The massive campaign between Miami chamber of commerce, Miami realtors/brokers/developers and the media has no signs of letting up. Have seen "move to Miami" billboards in LA and SF and I just saw a national site report something like "Miami is the 5th most important city to high net worth individuals" because South Florida ranked #5 in prime property sales. Let's ignore and leapfrog over the top 4 to congratulate something for ranking #5. LOL. I have had multiple people randomly me pitch and try to convince me to invest in Miami luxury real estate. Haven't received solicitation like that from NYC/CA brokerages.
It's mainly due to the fact that Miami just doesn't have that many established industries. Since day one, the economy has mainly been about tourism/leisure and the associated real estate development... and the construction associated with that.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:37 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
So if Florida swings Dem in the coming years, which is definitely possible given the weird politics of the Latin community (Trumpy but pro-abortion, pro-Obamacare, pro-immigration, pro-higher taxes, etc.), you're telling me all the angry anti-woke, no-tax, F everyone else boomers are gonna move to Alabama? Highly unlikely.

Miami-Dade just went GOP four months ago. It was apparently a libtard enclave until last Nov. Orlando is getting bluer and is even faster growing than South Florida. So Orlando should now start declining? Too woke?
Politics are becoming a bigger part of the decision making process on where one chooses to live when they are relocating, as it's mattered now more than ever. Is it THE reason for the majority of people relocating? No. But is it coming into play more and more? Yes.

And more bad news for all of the FL haters

'No longer God's waiting room': Florida has more jobs than New York for the first time ever — here's why the trend of Americans fleeing south isn't slowing anytime soon
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/no-lo...140000239.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2023, 9:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

FL having more jobs than NYS isn't saying much though and I suspect a bulk of the jobs in FL are still service/ hospitality rather than white collar jobs with upward mobility. My niece and her bf are having a hell of a time finding decent jobs in South Florida and they are well educated in lucrative career tracts.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 1:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

the pay in florida for jobs across the board is pathetic. probably the only way to make decent money is real estate related.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Funny because people are actually "fleeing" Miami according to the Census... it's shrinking, the population dropped 1.4% as of the latest American community survey, but you have to dig deep to find that.

https://www.thenextmiami.com/census-...k-1-last-year/

Almost no outlet reported that, a stark contrast to the breathless reporting of everyone "FLEEING" [insert liberal city]. One of few sources I could dig up spun it as people mocking the Census inaccurate because it couldn't possibly be right. It goes against the media narrative and shilling from the Miami real estate industry that "everyone" is moving there, just like you almost never hear of Miami crime in national media while being inundated with constant news about "anarchy" in much safer cities than Miami like Seattle and Portland (and also much safer NYC, LA, SF).
Miami crime is talked about quite a bit on tik tok
The locals don't hold back and say what's really happening.

Reddit does too, but tik tok is probably the most honest.

But yea, the " everyone is moving there" stuff is probably from desperate real estate agents.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 4:58 AM

Quote:
It's relentless, but a lot of it is based on b.s too...

Most of the companies "moving there" don't physically end up moving there, they just do it on a legal basis to save taxes.

All those expansion plans and promises? Usually not fulfilled because there's a lack of talent there. They either tell people to relocate there or deal with teleworking.

All those people moving there? A lot move back... they don't last 3 years there. I've seen it often ever since I moved to L.A, so many people fell for the crypto/tech hub hype.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:15 AM

Crypto died, and they had thousands of layoffs there too.
I bet most of those people already left.

It's gonna be interesting to see Florida's numbers later this summer or fall and with the home insurance crisis and people fleeing from desantis.
Just like people leaving blue states to Florida, the same is happening in reverse. The desantis backlash is accelerating like crazy.

It is everywhere on social media.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Crypto died, and they had thousands of layoffs there too.
I bet most of those people already left.

It's gonna be interesting to see Florida's numbers later this summer or fall and with the home insurance crisis and people fleeing from desantis.
Just like people leaving blue states to Florida, the same is happening in reverse. The desantis backlash is accelerating like crazy.

It is everywhere on social media.
Let’s not get hyperbolic. People who move solely due to politics are in the extreme minority.

And I did leave Florida when I was younger followed by most of my family several years later. My grandfather lived in Miami during the Great Depression.

Florida has very real flaws for people who are younger. Poor schools in general, low wages, limited career options, overly expensive housing and insurance.

For retirees, most of the negatives don’t apply. They are more likely to pay for a home in cash, live off of pensions and retirement accounts, don’t care about schools, and will die before most climate change.

If Miami-Dade shows a real population loss, it’s going to be because of retirees pricing out larger immigrant families and falling fertility rates.

I expect exactly what the article depicts. A rising population with younger people leaving except for immigrants who live in overcrowded housing to work in service industries.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 5:43 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

One way politics might have a relatively strong effect is in the reputation of Florida's public universities. UF especially has a pretty strong academic reputation but Desantis is perfectly capable of tarnishing that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2023, 9:36 PM

Self-sorting is real--some number of people are definitely choosing to move to places that align with their socio-political values. That said, socio-political values are not likely the primary reason people move, either generally or in the case of Florida specifically. Florida is growing primarily because retirees continue to flock there from other parts of the country.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2023, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Self-sorting is real--some number of people are definitely choosing to move to places that align with their socio-political values. That said, socio-political values are not likely the primary reason people move, either generally or in the case of Florida specifically. Florida is growing primarily because retirees continue to flock there from other parts of the country.
I don't know how it happened, but my post of a few minutes ago disappeared.

What I was saying was that I'm within a few months of moving from Austin to Cypress, which is a very large suburb (population about 200,000) of Houston. While Austin is a vast majority Democratic and liberal, Cypress is majority GOP. However, there's a large minority of Democrats in Cypress, mostly in the newer areas. One of the master planned communities in Cypress (Bridgeland) had a GOP/Dem tie in the 2020 presidential election. In any case, I would move there regardless because the city is well maintained, exceptionally clean, low crime, and excellent medical facilities. And it appears to be (finally) getting more diverse. As much as I'll miss Austin, where I've lived for 50 years, things are different for me as a retiree.

I would probably feel differently about The Villages, FL. It's just way, way over the top politically. I simply wouldn't be able to tolerate living in that place.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions