HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 4:58 PM

Here are a few more photos I took yesterday evening:

The Revival, demolition has clearly started at this site.

95 State, I apologize for not taking more photos of this project.

Liberty Sky

Last edited by RC14; Nov 19, 2020 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Added name of The Revival project.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berger4 View Post
The gateway has a grocery store already, it’s actually pretty nice!
http://shopthegateway.com/directory/...-foods-market/
Also Lee's Market is open in the 4th West Apartments

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 6:33 PM
Space Magi

Looks like Liberty Sky is on the 12th floor. That means there are still at least 8 more normal floors and the taller, slanty roof deck floor still to go.

95 State's core is at floor 25 by my count so it must be close to maxed out.

EDIT: I just found some incredible recent drone pictures of downtown SLC from a chap on Facebook named Scott Taylor. He also took the photos I shared a few days ago. Take a look at these:

Remove the "h" before ".jpg" in each link if you want to see larger versions of these images.

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 19, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 8:58 PM

I'm of course happy with how 95 State will fill in the skyline a bit, but seeing it in person yesterday nearly topped out with it's core and the steel catching up, it just looked shorter and squattier than I had hoped.

Maybe with glass and as it comes closer to completion it will feel better. I honestly think I'm more excited for Liberty Sky. To have that much density added right in the heart of downtown is going to be so awesome.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC PopPunk View Post
I'm of course happy with how 95 State will fill in the skyline a bit, but seeing it in person yesterday nearly topped out with it's core and the steel catching up, it just looked shorter and squattier than I had hoped.

Maybe with glass and as it comes closer to completion it will feel better. I honestly think I'm more excited for Liberty Sky. To have that much density added right in the heart of downtown is going to be so awesome.
It's been time for a 500 footer.
Oh well, Kensington will look good across the street from Liberty. Sky that is.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:

agreed but i also think the roof (which looks like a good 2/3 stories by itself) will add some good height in the end. remember it's just a tad bit taller than the neighboring Key Bank building

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 12:23 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
It's because its height is pretty equal to the height of surrounding buildings. It's not going to stand out at all. It'll be nice infill but this is the problem Salt Lake's skyline is running into - all the buildings are capped out at a specific level and none of them are going to stand out anymore.

95 State is 390 feet. That puts it at only 10 feet taller than 111 South Main, 40 feet taller than KeyBank and 70 feet taller than the WTC (EagleGate).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 1:00 AM

The biggest issue with the SLC skyline is actually the fact that the ground isn't level.

As Comrade stated:
Quote:
95 State is 390 feet. That puts it at only 10 feet taller than 111 South Main, 40 feet taller than KeyBank and 70 feet taller than the WTC (EagleGate).
Yet, if you look at the below image, they are nearly all the same height:

This is why most people don't believe that the Wells Fargo building is actually taller than the COB, it looks so much shorter when looking at the skyline.

This is also why in most of the renderings that we see for Kensington Tower and the Hines, Utah Theater tower, the heights aren't as obvious. They blend into the 375'+ heights of those buildings on higher elevations to the north.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:49 AM
One Thing At A Time

^^^ which is why 95 state is such a missed opportunity. It’s about as far north as you can get without being on church property. Could have looked real mighty if they built a 450 footer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 2:08 PM

I don't have time to read the updated proposal Hatman, but I loved reading your initial report and am looking forward to reading a more sharpened version of that!

Also, to the comment about grocery stores in west Downtown, there is now a small urban corner grocery store at Gateway, and a slightly larger urban Lee's in the 4th West Apartments. These opened all within the last 2 years I believe. Pair that with the Harmons which is only a little bit further, and a Rancho Market down North Temple, and that area is actually pretty well-served with grocery now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 4:29 PM
Space Magi

According to this tool, the elevations of SLC's towers are:
  • Kensington: 4291.3 ft (448 ft tall)
  • Wells Fargo: 4281.5 ft (422 ft tall)
  • LDS COB: 4347.1 ft (420 ft tall)
  • 95 State: 4311.0 ft (393 ft tall)
  • 111 Main: 4304.5 ft (385 ft tall)

Adjusted for elevation, the ranking (height above geoid) would therefore be:
  1. LDS COB: 4767.1 ft
  2. Kensington: 4739.3 ft
  3. 95 State: 4704.0 ft
  4. Wells Fargo: 4703.25 ft
  5. 111 Main: 4689.5 ft

So the COB may still look taller than Kensington. SLC just has a "tabletop" skyline right now like Boston or San Diego but on a smaller scale. I don't think it looks bad and it will only take a 500+ footer or two to disrupt that flow, and in the meantime it is nice to get the extra density of 300-450 footers. Edmonton is good example of a formerly "tabletop" skyline that was totally transformed by the recent addition of a couple taller towers.

Last edited by Atlas; Nov 20, 2020 at 4:45 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 5:35 PM

Maybe it's just the designer in me that leads me to this opinion. I've noticed lately that a few of the cities that we have often followed over the past ten to fifteen years now have skylines that have evolved into a hot mess. Not necessarily only from a street perspective, but especially as you look at the view of the skyline from a short distance. Amongst some of the city skyline views the as of late development over the past ten years has left a messy, even ugly clutter of repetitive, mediocre high-rise residential. Large islands of high rise residential that have a monotonous overkill of repetitive protruding balconies. Beautiful high rises that once stood out in their skylines are now hidden by ugly residential 40 story crap. I'm for taller towers, commercial or residential. Hopefully, Salt Lake's residential high rises will fall more into the design category of 99 West or the upcoming Kensington and not what I'm seeing on several of the forum skylines. I would much rather have a more human scale of mid-rise residential in Salt Lake, with a scattering of attractive commercial & mixed-use new tallest like the Kensingston or taller, than proliferate to ad nauseam a lot of ugly monotonous 400-plus foot high rises, infested with the same floor after floor of protruding identical balcony setups. These designs when all too often developed in island hoards seem to mock the notion of quality of life.

Imagine Liberty Sky twice as tall with a couple dozen neighbors all up and down a few neighboring blocks of State Street or say West Temple. Liberty Sky by itself is a reasonably attractive tower. But you wouldn't want it replicated 20 or thirty times over, especially at heights of around 400-plus feet. I wouldn't want that any more than I would want a skyline with large islands full of the Key Bank Tower or the COB.

Last edited by delts145; Nov 20, 2020 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:16 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Maybe it's just the designer in me that leads me to this opinion. I've noticed lately that a few of the cities that we have often followed over the past ten to fifteen years now have skylines that have evolved into a hot mess. Not necessarily only from a street perspective, but especially as you look at the view of the skyline from a short distance. All of the as of late development over the past ten years has left a messy, even ugly clutter of repetitive, mediocre high-rise residential that have a monotonous overkill of ugly balconies. Beautiful high rises that once stood out in their skylines are now hidden by ugly residential 40 story crap. I'm for taller towers, commercial or residential. Hopefully, Salt Lake's residential high rises will fall more into the design category of 99 West or the upcoming Kensington and not what I'm seeing on several of the forum skylines. I would much rather have a more human scale of mid-rise residential in Salt Lake, with a scattering of attractive commercial & mixed-use new tallest like the Kensingston or taller, than proliferate to ad nauseam a lot of ugly monotonous 400-plus foot high rises, infested with the same floor after floor of protruding identical balcony setups. These designs when all too often developed in island hoards seem to mock the notion of quality of life.

Imagine Liberty Sky twice as tall with a couple dozen neighbors all up and down a few neighboring blocks of State Street or say West Temple. Liberty Sky by itself is a reasonably attractive tower. But you wouldn't want it replicated 20 or thirty times over, especially at heights of around 400-plus feet. I wouldn't want that any more than I would want a skyline with large islands full of the Key Bank Tower or the COB.
I agree with this comment. I'm fine with a bunch of 400 foot infill of varying styles. I'd like a few 500 footers with aggressive design mixed in and be DONE with it. I don't want to live in Singapore or Miami. Have you walked around downtown Miami? IT SUCKS. Huge swaths of Denver's downtown are dead sterile hallways. These current towers do the really important job of filling in our funky tooth gaps. I love the soft corners on 95. I hate Liberty sky but hey its there. I'd like a nice, not-too-spikey skyline terminating at the Grand America with a variety of shapes, sizes and finishes.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 8:58 PM

I don't think Salt Lake is in danger of becoming Singapore or Miami (though I do wonder what's wrong with Singapore - never been there, but it seems really nice).

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:01 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Maybe it's just the designer in me that leads me to this opinion. I've noticed lately that a few of the cities that we have often followed over the past ten to fifteen years now have skylines that have evolved into a hot mess. Not necessarily only from a street perspective, but especially as you look at the view of the skyline from a short distance. Amongst some of the city skyline views the as of late development over the past ten years has left a messy, even ugly clutter of repetitive, mediocre high-rise residential. Large islands of high rise residential that have a monotonous overkill of repetitive protruding balconies. Beautiful high rises that once stood out in their skylines are now hidden by ugly residential 40 story crap. I'm for taller towers, commercial or residential. Hopefully, Salt Lake's residential high rises will fall more into the design category of 99 West or the upcoming Kensington and not what I'm seeing on several of the forum skylines. I would much rather have a more human scale of mid-rise residential in Salt Lake, with a scattering of attractive commercial & mixed-use new tallest like the Kensingston or taller, than proliferate to ad nauseam a lot of ugly monotonous 400-plus foot high rises, infested with the same floor after floor of protruding identical balcony setups. These designs when all too often developed in island hoards seem to mock the notion of quality of life.

Yeah but it's not like Salt Lake has beautiful high-rises right now. A significant portion of the skyline is dominated by 1970s and 80s era high rises that are not, overall, aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

I'd much rather have Liberty Sky at the height of the KeyBank Tower than the actual KeyBank Tower, which is a boring, bland box.

That's the problem is that almost all of Salt Lake's high rises are essentially average versions of what the trend is/was for the decade. Certainly, there isn't anything god-awful (though, the COB comes close, unfortunately), but nothing that is dynamic, anyway, so, I don't really see the problem with any of what you're saying happening here in Salt Lake - unless you're talking about cities outside the US, which then I plead ignorance.

But this goes to the overall core of the point: even Salt Lake's more attractive towers are limited by height.

I actually think 99 West would absolutely work as a signature tower. But it's not tall enough.

Conversely, I never felt the Wells Fargo Center worked as a signature tower because of how dang stubby it looks from specific angels.

111 South could absolutely stand out - except, again, it's stuck at the height of a bunch of other towers.

But I think the problem is that we're eventually going to hit your example because this city has an aversion to anything close to 500 feet tall. Inevitably, that's what will happen unless there's a breakthrough and more buildings push upward.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 11:10 PM

we need an architectural company that has a futuristic, but reliable vision for a development, willing to invest in SLC. A modern building can last generations

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 12:13 AM
Space Magi

I like our skyline. I like that it has a smattering of good quality (albeit rather short) towers from various eras that, even though they are mostly boxy, really contrast each other in terms of color and texture. And it looks good in front of our incredible mountains.

I don't think a few more condo/apartment towers would look bad at all since we have so few at the moment. The residential towers that are proposed right now (Kensington, Theater, 370 S West Temple) seem to be really good-looking, if you ask me. We don't really have a signature tower yet, other than the COB perhaps, but that could change. Wasatch Wasteland mentioned that the prospective tower at 450 Main has "incredible geometry." Hopefully the building that breaks the 500 ft glass ceiling will be a distinctive one.

That said, too many distinctive, weird towers makes for an ugly skyline too. London's skyline comes to mind. Bleh.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:19 AM

London’s density is odd too. Density almost always looks great but London somehow got it wrong.

With the elevation information just listed it confirms Kensington won’t have the out right distinction of tallest building visually. I’m not complaining but a 500 ft tower wouldn’t be as pronounced as you would think due to elevation unless it was up by the COB.

Excited for Covid to go away and really see how things can get going

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
This is excellent feedback. Thanks

Okay, okay, I can't help myself. I have to point out my favorite thing about the rendering I shared. Historically, the Rio Grande sign was joined by another sign that said "Western Pacific," which was a partner railroad to the Rio Grande:

Well, look at what cj.blakely did to the sign in his rendering!

Hatman, I don't think you're getting my messages. I spoke with CJ Blakely, turns out we've worked together and know each other well haha. I would love to help get this off the ground. I excel in the graphic design and presentation department and I believe I can help create a very compelling proposal that's beautifully presented with clear diagrams and visual explanations. Explaining these ideas visually and diagrammatically with simple graphics and stunning renderings will be much more effective than excessive text filled pages. Message me if you can!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:52 AM

Oops. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ignore you! It looks like you have private messages disabled. An error keeps coming up. I'll see if I can get your email address or something from cj.blakely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West