HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 2:32 AM

LIRR connection to GCT would be attractive to business travelers but that would require a massive overhaul to the airtrain system and purchase of new equipment. The second best scenario is to transfer at Jamaica.

NYC should target one subway expansion per decade. The outer boroughs lack new subway lines for many years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmartman View Post
NYC should target one subway expansion per decade. The outer boroughs lack new subway lines for many years.
LOL, fuck that. NYC used to be able to build 10 stations a year and now you think we should be happy with a few stations every 10 years? Why is construction 1/100th the speed now despite 100 years of technological improvement? It's a complete fucking joke. NYC should complete a new subway extension every year until the system is built out to all the areas dense enough to benefit from subways. We should be expecting 100 stations in the next decade, not 2-3.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
LOL, fuck that. NYC used to be able to build 10 stations a year and now you think we should be happy with a few stations every 10 years? Why is construction 1/100th the speed now despite 100 years of technological improvement? It's a complete fucking joke. NYC should complete a new subway extension every year until the system is built out to all the areas dense enough to benefit from subways. We should be expecting 100 stations in the next decade, not 2-3.
European cities like London and Paris are expanding their networks at this pace.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 3:32 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
They are going to have to increase the speed to keep up with the population.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Amen. A city with the 7th largest state budget in the country should not be struggling to finance stuff like this. As great as the opening of the SAS was, it should have been a wake up call. The fact the city/governor had a giant back patting day was an embarrassment.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Amen. A city with the 7th largest state budget in the country should not be struggling to finance stuff like this. As great as the opening of the SAS was, it should have been a wake up call. The fact the city/governor had a giant back patting day was an embarrassment.
I was just in LA and without even trying to find them went past a total of 5 stations under construction (the 3 regional connector stations, the expo/crenshaw station and the new station at LAX. In total LA has 14 stations under construction right now I believe and 9 of them are subway stations with the rest either being at-grade or elevated. Now admittedly most of these stations are in lower density areas than NYC, but the 3 regional connector stations are downtown surrounded by density and the other stations aren't really any less dense than the proposed Utica Ave. Subway extension for instance. I see no logical reason why NYC couldn't be building multiple lines at once especially in the less dense corridors (hell SAS Phase 2 definitely isn't surrounded by skyscrapers either).

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I was just in LA and without even trying to find them went past a total of 5 stations under construction (the 3 regional connector stations, the expo/crenshaw station and the new station at LAX. In total LA has 14 stations under construction right now I believe and 9 of them are subway stations with the rest either being at-grade or elevated. Now admittedly most of these stations are in lower density areas than NYC, but the 3 regional connector stations are downtown surrounded by density and the other stations aren't really any less dense than the proposed Utica Ave. Subway extension for instance. I see no logical reason why NYC couldn't be building multiple lines at once especially in the less dense corridors (hell SAS Phase 2 definitely isn't surrounded by skyscrapers either).
LA has basically one subway line. They aren't building jack compared to the NYC area.

There are much bigger transit investments in the NYC are, and you can't compare something like the Second Avenue subway to random light rail or commuter rail stations (which are being added all over the NYC metro too). There are like a dozen new commuter rail stations opening in CT alone. There's a new light rail line in Bergen County. There's a new commuter line in the East Bronx. There's extended electrification and new track capacity on Long Island.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 7:06 PM
BANNED

LA has 3 lines under construction: purple line extension (HRT), the Regional Connector (LRT, but below grade), and the Crenshaw line (partially below grade).

The purple line is being constructed at about $500m/km I believe, which is significantly cheaper than comparable NYC projects, probably because we aren't getting screwed over by crappy legacy union work rules.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
LA has 3 lines under construction: purple line extension (HRT), the Regional Connector (LRT, but below grade), and the Crenshaw line (partially below grade).

The purple line is being constructed at about $500m/km I believe, which is significantly cheaper than comparable NYC projects, probably because we aren't getting screwed over by crappy legacy union work rules.
I agree that LA construction (all types, not just transit) is far more affordable and efficient than NYC construction. I also agree that unions and regulations have made NYC-area construction costs beyond absurd and almost criminal.

I was responding to the implication that the LA-area has more transit expansion projects. There's not much being built in the LA area overall compared to the NYC area. There are a ton of active transit expansion projects in the region beyond the Second Avenue Subway.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Yeah I wasn't disputing what you were saying, just throwing it out there for people to compare.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

what's new to compare? the work is less expensive in one metro and the other has more projects going on. umm, ok. glad we cleared that up for the millionth time.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
what's new to compare? the work is less expensive in one metro and the other has more projects going on. umm, ok. glad we cleared that up for the millionth time.
You seem bitter.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
You seem bitter.
well then why don't you try to play more than one note in your posts? i mean how many times do you need to be amazed at how expensive it is out here? every post it seems. yeah, every one knows that, but thanks for youngmansplainin' it yet again.

other news:

MTA gets federal funding to reduce bus blind spots, enhance worker safety
By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com January 19, 2017

http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-gets...ety-1.12984658

MTA debuts new garbage vacuums for subway tracks
By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com January 19, 2017

http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-debu...cks-1.12979180

MTA, TWU workers reach contract agreement, union president says
By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com January 16, 2017

http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-twu-...ays-1.12958728

MTA subway ridership dropped in 2016; first decline since 2009
By Vincent Barone vin.barone@amny.com February 21, 2017

http://www.amny.com/transit/mta-subw...009-1.13157843

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:31 PM
BANNED

hahahahahaha I was right

Thankfully the rest of the forum has seen the light as well. No more gross,blind cheer leading for absurd NYC projects.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
hahahahahaha I was right

Thankfully the rest of the forum has seen the light as well. No more gross,blind cheer leading for absurd NYC projects.

hahaha what? you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble by just posting 'too expensive' everytime someone mentions a project here. that would succinctly inform us all in case we didn't know.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
hahaha what? you could save yourself a lot of time and trouble by just posting 'too expensive' everytime someone mentions a project here. that would succinctly inform us all in case we didn't know.
You were completely oblivious to the problem before I pointed it out:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...6&postcount=22

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 10:24 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
You were completely oblivious to the problem before I pointed it out:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...6&postcount=22
lol, wat? that clearly shows design and environmental costs are large and nyc has a lot of utilities to move around on second ave, but not that the majority of costs are union driven. so back to you, let's move on and see if next time you can try hard to make just one post that is not about how expensive it is out east and gee whiz how freakin amazed you are by that, k?

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 10:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
lol, wat? that clearly shows design and environmental costs are large and nyc has a lot of utilities to move around on second ave, but not that the majority of costs are union driven. so back to you, let's move on and see if next time you can try hard to make just one post that is not about how expensive it is out east and gee whiz how freakin amazed you are by that, k?
Translation: "I am extremely bitter that you brought up NYC bloated construction costs and disrupted my blind cheer leading."

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 10:28 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Translation: "I am extremely bitter that you brought up NYC bloated construction costs and disrupted my blind cheer leading."
did you just say costs? again?? fail.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 10:29 PM
BANNED

And I take offense to your remark that I only post about cost. I've also posted about your corrupt Governor's love of crappy transit projects.

But now that I know it bothers you I'm going to post about it twice as hard.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation