HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
I’m guessing part of the issue with moving the Delta Center is there are stakeholders invested in the area who really really don’t want that to happen. There are some hotels. Perhaps the owners of the Gateway. Ritchie Group’s development on Block 67 is explicitly meant to be tied to the arena. So despite any desire to put the arena somewhere else, the rhetoric from officials involved is to keep it in the area. It makes sense.

Although I think the same thing with the convention center. They just got a CCH built. After 30 years of trying. So it really surprises me to hear they are considering demolishing portions of the convention center to make room for any entertainment district. The only way that could be feasible while preserving contiguous exhibit space is a complete rebuild on the main two blocks or somewhere else entirely—unless there is a good expansion opportunity in another direction, which…I’m having a hard time figuring out where that would realistically be.
I posted this in the other SLC thread, but tripling the size of the CC on less ground is doable, here is the Walter Washington CC in DC, with over 3x the total space of Salt Palace, overlaid on the Salt Palace site. With 4 levels (including one below ground) and 2 full exhibit hall levels.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
It is confusing. Good thing I'm the patient type.

At best, this shows that funding can come quickly and unexpectedly when the right groups give their support. Hopefully with the Olympics returning and public support for the RGP growing, we will see a similar rush for the train box in a couple years.
The rumor is the 2030 and 2034 Winter Olympics will be announced in Paris this summer, so hopefully that kick starts discussions with the federal govt about funding infrastructure projects.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 8:42 PM

From what I have heard so far, there are not any current plans to modify, reduce, or expand the convention center itself.

It sounds like the Radisson and the Fidelity building will be coming down along South Temple. 1st South would have updates regarding the Japanese church and the old commercial building on the corner provided that the Japanese community agrees with the updates. The temple at the corner of 1st south and 2nd west would stay based on what I was told.

There are supposedly talks between the City and the LDS Church to acquire the full parking lot east of the Triad center and possibly a portion of the southern side of the block directly west of Temple Square.

There is an expectation that areas along 2nd south would also be included within the district, West Quarter Phase 2 build out among the top.

The main idea is to encourage more people to walk/travel between West Temple and 3rd/4th west.

Everyone I talked to about the district is excited and hopeful it can progress quickly.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 9:30 PM
Space Magi

This is all good to hear. I'd especially love to see Japantown make a bit of a comeback as part of this.

Maybe we see a new tallest proposed at the West Quarter? Seems like anything is possible now.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
This is all good to hear. I'd especially love to see Japantown make a bit of a comeback as part of this.

Maybe we see a new tallest proposed at the West Quarter? Seems like anything is possible now.
It is possible that we will see taller buildings. I don't think we will see a tallest within the West Quarter due to the current zoning.

I do know that the Fidelity building was originally just supposed to be a place holder. The site was rumored to be a location for a 40 story W hotel. The plans died fully around 2009 I think.

I do think that things are fluid and are changing rapidly. The next few months will be fun to watch as the plans progress.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 12:53 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I think this is very much a possibility.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 2:21 AM

I love the smoke stacks that are at the Gadsby Plant and am happy that they are in the latest renderings of the stadium. What I'd really love to see is to have them topped with the letters S, L, and C and have those illuminate at night. I think it would be an iconic art piece that would be great for the city.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.farnes View Post
I love the smoke stacks that are at the Gadsby Plant and am happy that they are in the latest renderings of the stadium. What I'd really love to see is to have them topped with the letters S, L, and C and have those illuminate at night. I think it would be an iconic art piece that would be great for the city.

Just do SLC on the mountains, like the U. But IDK about the smoke stacks they look hideous to me in this picture. Anyone know of examples where they’ve been integrated into a new modern entertainment district or stadium? I know of old buildings like Camden Yards and PETCO park have but can’t think of where smoke stacks have been integrated in a cool way. Would this block the view of the mountains from the stadium? If so, I’d get rid of them personally. If not id figure out a way to make them cool somehow.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 4:49 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Just do SLC on the mountains, like the U. But IDK about the smoke stacks they look hideous to me in this picture. Anyone know of examples where they’ve been integrated into a new modern entertainment district or stadium? I know of old buildings like Camden Yards and PETCO park have but can’t think of where smoke stacks have been integrated in a cool way. Would this block the view of the mountains from the stadium? If so, I’d get rid of them personally. If not id figure out a way to make them cool somehow.
Initially the pitch was to have the smokestacks in view from the stadium right in the middle with the mountains in the background. While some loved it, generally people hated the idea. In the newest iteration it's become an unobstructed view of the mountains from most parts of the stadium, with the smokestacks off to the side:

Obviously if this actually happens a lot will change about the design but I'm sure this change from the initial renderings is indicative that the smokestacks will not be a part of the view from the stadium, but will be part of the neighborhood.

Personally I want the smokestacks to stay and I like Chad's idea, but doing something "creative" with the smokestacks might come off as kitschy. Whatever happens I hope it is more timeless. In my opinion, that would require maintaining the grittiness of the industrial aspect of the neighborhood. It would be helpful to see some quality ideas put together. I don't mind what they've done in the rendering. Just clean them and light them up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 6:50 PM

How is the view of the mountains from Power District? I feel like they are kinda far away to make a huge impression from the stands. Am I wrong?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
How is the view of the mountains from Power District? I feel like they are kinda far away to make a huge impression from the stands. Am I wrong?
Need to see a vantage point like this but angled more Southeast facing.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 12:27 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It would kinda look like this but a bit more north:

To give you perspective of where this location is:

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 3:34 AM

So yeah, the mountains are there, but pretty far distant. Still a good view

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 4:23 AM
They all float down here

I don't think it'll be that dissimilar to Smith's tbh. Just a bit different view.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2024, 2:35 PM

You can still get a pretty good view of the mountains from the airport which is even further west.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 8:42 PM

My vote is to remove two of the three smoke stacks. The three together are a blight on the skyline.

I could tolerate the southern most stack remaining as symbol of the Power District.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex View Post
My vote is to remove two of the three smoke stacks. The three together are a blight on the skyline.

I could tolerate the southern most stack remaining as symbol of the Power District.
I wonder how much cost is involved in preparing this site for the new uses. I'd imagine some cleanup is in order and possible decommissioning of these smoke stacks and other power equipment. Is the utility covering all that?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 10:13 PM
They all float down here

All you have to do is paint the stacks and they'll look fine.

Ideally, the color of the new team.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 3:22 PM

/\/\/\ That's what we had planned on doing, except that it was not anything specific to an MLB team. It had the Power District label on them also. I'll get an image clip of just that from one of our renderings.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2024, 2:35 PM

Sounds like the A's coming to SLC for a few years may not happen given the TV dollar impact mentioned in the article.

"The A's have been in negotiations with Sacramento and Salt Lake City in addition to Oakland, and the idea of a three-year stint in Sacramento -- allowing the team to keep a larger percentage of its reported $67 million in yearly local television revenue than it would in Salt Lake City -- has gained traction in recent weeks."

https://abc7news.com/oakland-to-pres...irms/14596305/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West