HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrachenFire View Post
The DAC hasn't been expanded, it's been a bunch of lipstick on a pig renovations. The Armory was supposed to be converted to a new arena/convocation center, but is now being given away (operationally, the National Guard/PA still owns it) by Drexel's president, and former Chair of the Board of Directors of US Squash, so it can be transformed into the US Squash National Center.
The DAC has certainly been expanded considerably in the past decade plus and the renovations were considerable, all told I'd estimate $50 million+. We're talking a lot more than lip stick on a pig.

It still doesn't preclude Drexel moving to another arena sometime soon though because the bulk of the expansion and money hasn't gone into the actual arena but rather to the student athletic center on the same site. The arena itself added more capacity though and a higher end section where bleachers were replaced with modern area seats. I believe they also upgraded things like scoreboard, locker rooms, etc.

The DAC used to be a problem, the renovations have turned it into a respectable college basketball arena as far as I can tell. It's just small.

I'm sure they're looking to expand down the road, but the renovations allows them to not rush into something. Partnering with the Sixers males sense to an extent, though Drexel 's ideal arena probably seats around 5-6 thousand. If the Sixers built a new arena it would have a capacity of at least 10 thousand more than that which could make Drexel feel like they're playing in an empty arena which is less than ideal.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I'm sure they're looking to expand down the road, but the renovations allows them to not rush into something. Partnering with the Sixers males sense to an extent, though Drexel 's ideal arena probably seats around 5-6 thousand. If the Sixers built a new arena it would have a capacity of at least 10 thousand more than that which could make Drexel feel like they're playing in an empty arena which is less than ideal.
Agreed, the DAC is not the Palestra (though nothing really is) or Liacouras Center, but it's a respectable college venue. I don't think they need to push for something nicer at this point (let's get the team back to the tourney and build some momentum first). As for the Sixers, they're selling out every game with the over 22,000 seat Wells Fargo Center, so I'd be shocked to see them build anything less than 25,000 in a new arena.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:00 PM

Comcast announced a few weeks ago making some $250 mil upgrades to the Wells Fargo Center over the next 2 years -- needless to say, the Flyers aren't going anywhere. As for the Sixers, who are renters, we shall see, but I've got to imagine this huge investment was planned with the Flyers AND Sixers/college bball in mind.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Agreed, the DAC is not the Palestra (though nothing really is) or Liacouras Center, but it's a respectable college venue. I don't think they need to push for something nicer at this point (let's get the team back to the tourney and build some momentum first). As for the Sixers, they're selling out every game with the over 22,000 seat Wells Fargo Center, so I'd be shocked to see them build anything less than 25,000 in a new arena.
It's actually around 20,500, which already makes it one of the 3 or 4 largest venues in the NBA - so 25,000 is probably a stretch. To quote someone smarter than me, size matters not. I'd rather have an awesome, super high-end, sleek, intimate Arena in Center City that holds 17,500 that's hopping every night than a cavernous sometimes full, sometimes not building on the edge of town.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
The DAC has certainly been expanded considerably in the past decade plus and the renovations were considerable, all told I'd estimate $50 million+. We're talking a lot more than lip stick on a pig.

It still doesn't preclude Drexel moving to another arena sometime soon though because the bulk of the expansion and money hasn't gone into the actual arena but rather to the student athletic center on the same site. The arena itself added more capacity though and a higher end section where bleachers were replaced with modern area seats. I believe they also upgraded things like scoreboard, locker rooms, etc.

The DAC used to be a problem, the renovations have turned it into a respectable college basketball arena as far as I can tell. It's just small.

You're confusing the Rec Center with the DAC, they're attached but considered separate buildings (you could buy naming rights to the Rec Center). The Rec Center was new construction and cost $41.6 million. In the DAC, where the hoops and wrestling teams compete upstairs and swimming and diving is in the basement, they've replaced the seating from bench to chairbacks along the sidelines and added more bleacher seating along the baselines. They've also constructed an actual concession stand instead of having a hot dog cart in the corner, and added a visiting locker room and restrooms on court level instead of needing to go downstairs for them. The home locker rooms were also renovated. Capacity actually went down from 2532 to 2509. It's like a structurally deficient bridge, not necessarily in danger of falling down, but not up to modern standards.

I say lipstick on a pig because I assumed they were meant to hold the fort before another run was made at renovating The Armory. There really isn't any other land available on campus that has not been spoken for either for uCity Square or Schuylkill Yards. Looking at the Wiki page for the DAC, they've probably spent $15-20 million on the renovations. The original estimate I remember for The Armory renovation was around $80 million, that $15-20 million would have been a good jumping off point for a new, modern, creative reuse of a historical building in the heart of campus that would have benefited the whole student body. Instead the university is giving The Armory, which is used extensively for rec sports and as practice space for some of Drexel's other programs, to an outside organization.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's actually around 20,500, which already makes it one of the 3 or 4 largest venues in the NBA - so 25,000 is probably a stretch. To quote someone smarter than me, size matters not. I'd rather have an awesome, super high-end, sleek, intimate Arena in Center City that holds 17,500 that's hopping every night than a cavernous sometimes full, sometimes not building on the edge of town.
the seating capacity may increase with this renovation because they will be doing away with some of the corporate boxes and opening it up more.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
add a velodrome to the stadium
they proposed a velodrome a few years ago fpr FDR Park but it was rejected.
https://www.philaparks.org/fdr-park-proposal/
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/phi...h-philadelphia

Old Posted Apr 3, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrachenFire View Post
You're confusing the Rec Center with the DAC, they're attached but considered separate buildings (you could buy naming rights to the Rec Center). The Rec Center was new construction and cost $41.6 million. In the DAC, where the hoops and wrestling teams compete upstairs and swimming and diving is in the basement, they've replaced the seating from bench to chairbacks along the sidelines and added more bleacher seating along the baselines. They've also constructed an actual concession stand instead of having a hot dog cart in the corner, and added a visiting locker room and restrooms on court level instead of needing to go downstairs for them. The home locker rooms were also renovated. Capacity actually went down from 2532 to 2509. It's like a structurally deficient bridge, not necessarily in danger of falling down, but not up to modern standards.

I say lipstick on a pig because I assumed they were meant to hold the fort before another run was made at renovating The Armory. There really isn't any other land available on campus that has not been spoken for either for uCity Square or Schuylkill Yards. Looking at the Wiki page for the DAC, they've probably spent $15-20 million on the renovations. The original estimate I remember for The Armory renovation was around $80 million, that $15-20 million would have been a good jumping off point for a new, modern, creative reuse of a historical building in the heart of campus that would have benefited the whole student body. Instead the university is giving The Armory, which is used extensively for rec sports and as practice space for some of Drexel's other programs, to an outside organization.
Eh, they can call them different buildings if they want too, it's clearly one in the same. But I agree the money primarily went to the athletic center as i wrote. I was there last maybe three years ago, I thought it was a perfectly acceptable place to watch college basketball. I thought rehabbing the armory was a good idea but I imagine feasibility studies demonstrated that ground up construction would be much cheaper.

Drexel is definitely not at a loss for land, Ucity Square and Schuylkill Yards are decades away from compete fruition, still plenty of time to incorporate an Arena for Drexel into the plans for either site. For now, I see no major issue with the Dac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Totally agree. Not to mention, every whisper of a new sixers arena portrays it as a downtown arena, which further conflicts a larger capacity building.

I'd be shocked if it had more than 18000 seats. By virtue of being primarily a basketball arena they'll be able to do things like incorporate more court level seating that will more than offset the loss of a few thousand of the cheapest seats in the WFC.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:22 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
they proposed a velodrome a few years ago fpr FDR Park but it was rejected.
https://www.philaparks.org/fdr-park-proposal/
https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/phi...h-philadelphia
And the one in (well just outside of the city) Pittsburgh that began construction several years ago was never completed. There seems to be a small cult-like group of people who think that velodromes are viable propositions.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2018, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Eh, they can call them different buildings if they want too, it's clearly one in the same.
Not really. It's a standalone being built adjacent to the arena with added connections.

But I do agree that it's a perfectly suitable basketball arena for a middling, mid-major conference team. That's not a shot at Drexel - I'm a grad and was there for the glory years of basketball in the mid-90's.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 2:34 PM

A new shake shack to be opened at the Southeast corner of 12th and Chestnut per the Inquirer. There was a cupcake store in the corner space before although the shake shack will be taking up more space than that. I assume Brickstone owns this building because they did the Target building on the same block. This really has to be seen as a good sign for east Chestnut/Market East area.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 10:50 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by eixample View Post
A new shake shack to be opened at the Southeast corner of 12th and Chestnut per the Inquirer. There was a cupcake store in the corner space before although the shake shack will be taking up more space than that. I assume Brickstone owns this building because they did the Target building on the same block. This really has to be seen as a good sign for east Chestnut/Market East area.
Not Brickstone. The White Building is a renovation by the late Tony Goldman's company; they later sold part of it to an affiliate of SSH Real Estate, the other big player in that neck of the woods, according to PBJ.

Quote:
By Natalie Kostelni – Reporter, Philadelphia Business Journal
Apr 28, 2014, 1:36pm
An affiliate of SSH Real Estate bought a portion of the White building at 12th and Chestnut streets in Center City for $5.55 million.

The seller was Goldman Properties.

The transaction included a retail component totaling 12,500 square feet and five residential condominiums in the building at 105 S. 12th St. The retail and residential combined total 20,000 square feet and that is what traded.

The entire five-story structure totals 55,000 square feet and was converted into 24 residential condominiums in 2005 by Goldman Properties. The developer was only able to sell 19 of them when the bottom fell out of the condo market and decided to rent out the five unsold units.

[snip]

The White building was constructed in 1867 and had been the headquarters of S.S. White Manufacturing Co., which made dental instruments. It was the first project Goldman Properties redeveloped as part of its master plan to create what has now been dubbed Midtown Village.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-12th-and.html

Last edited by Jayfar; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Not really. It's a standalone being built adjacent to the arena with added connections.

But I do agree that it's a perfectly suitable basketball arena for a middling, mid-major conference team. That's not a shot at Drexel - I'm a grad and was there for the glory years of basketball in the mid-90's.
I'll stand corrected on that two building distinction. Thought the student gym was all in the same building and then they just expanded the building. Were they always separate adjacent buildings? Or is this something that came about more recently when the expansion took place?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 7:07 PM

Shake Shack supposed to be coming to 12th and Chestnut. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...05.html#loaded

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-75.1603576

Big for the Midtown Village/Gayborhood/East Market area.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Shake Shack supposed to be coming to 12th and Chestnut. http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...05.html#loaded

https://www.google.com/maps/place/12...!4d-75.1603576

Big for the Midtown Village/Gayborhood/East Market area.
Aren't they worried about market saturation? I hear it's already very easy to get shakes in the Gayborhood.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
Aren't they worried about market saturation? I hear it's already very easy to get shakes in the Gayborhood.
That was funny.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicPhilly View Post
I guess if they can make it work buts its only a 5 minute walk from their other one in the city

would rather see something else, new to market but isn't a bad thing, nor to exciting

and funny

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:22 PM
Fishtown & Country

From Friday, 4/6, in Old City-

3rd St between Market & Arch-

The National, Arch St side-

Arch between 2nd & 3rd-

Old Posted Apr 7, 2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I guess if they can make it work buts its only a 5 minute walk from their other one in the city

would rather see something else, new to market but isn't a bad thing, nor to exciting

and funny
It's more like 10 minutes to 20th and Sansom from this area. Maybe a bit more. But I think the point is to capture the population otherwise living, working, and/or or playing in each location. I'd think there is enough demand.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2018, 12:21 AM
Midrise

Quote:
If you can walk 9 blocks in 5 minutes, sure. The other Shake Shack is at 20th & Sansom. Comparably, Capogiro is at 13th & Sansom and also at 20th & Sansom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development