HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 3:22 PM
BANNED

New York has no peer!

AtlantaTimeLapse

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 4:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
New York has no peer!
That’s arguable, but we’re not here to debate or discuss that. The issue is One Vanderbilt, and it’s place on the skyline.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:43 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 7, 2020 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:42 AM
New Yorker for life

AUGUST 7, 2020

View from above, 270 Park demolition, with a little Vanderbilt thrown in...

Video Link

They've given the observatory elevator tracks the same treatment as the mechanical floors....

Looking up at the Observatory ledges....

17. The 3-level observatory

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:12 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Skyscraper overload???

Fun fact, 270 Park will be up to 1 Vandy's spire with respect to roof. We can see it on the left (demo).

Credit: the dronalist

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:31 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken tonight.

West NY - 08-08-2020 - 5 (higher res) by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 7:01 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDo89CppiCY/

Quote:
We’re trilled to share that one Vanderbilt has topped out the 8,399th panel! Designed by @kohnpedersenfox, developed by @slgreen_realty and main contractor Tishman Construction.

Ph.: © Touhey Photography, Max Touhey

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 9, 2020 at 7:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 4:33 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Why not just go for 8,400?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 1:41 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yeah why does it really bug me they could not fit in one more panel lol?

but it took so long at the crown -- so that is just great news!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Maybe they skipped a few, lol. Don't know.

But how about this? I'm loving my spire back.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDtW8WvpAjt/

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...?adppopup=true

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 10, 2020 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:17 PM
Ω

The tracks for the exterior elevators are kind of annoying, how they interrupt the facade. Hopefully the elevators themselves look nice.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:07 PM
I love NY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The tracks for the exterior elevators are kind of annoying, how they interrupt the facade. Hopefully the elevators themselves look nice.
Yeah, the numerous different facades on this building is getting ridiculous.

You now have regular office, observation, mechanical and now the external elevator.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:03 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The elevators will be intresting. But as far as the tracks, doesn't really bother me, especially knowing what they are for. There'll be constant movement on those things. But besides that, it adds another level of detail now that it's clad to reflect the rest of the building. Much better than a plain, glass facade. But either way, it won't be visible on the 3 other sides of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Yeah, the numerous different facades on this building is getting ridiculous.

You now have regular office, observation, mechanical and now the external elevator.
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 1:26 AM
I love NY!

Lol not sarcasm. You can see the uninformed pattern when you get to the observation deck and continue up the building.

The external elevator is pretty overkill if you ask me. Yeah, it’s something new but I just don’t like how it clashes with the signature top of the building.

I can’t wait to see spire lit up again, not to mention the crown.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:31 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiConTr0v3rSYx View Post
Lol not sarcasm. You can see the uninformed pattern when you get to the observation deck and continue up the building.

The external elevator is pretty overkill if you ask me. Yeah, it’s something new but I just don’t like how it clashes with the signature top of the building.

I actually like that you can see it, and know exactly what it is. It will be a draw for people who don't actually work in the building, you can see it, and the movement from the street. The glass ledges are visible, but just barely because they are so high up and are relatively small (unlike the ledge at 30 Hudson). But yeah, Vanderbilt will be more than just another building over the canyons. It will be a destination visible to pedestrians south of the tower, and its something the city doesn't currently have.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:28 AM

the proportions still seem a little clumsy to me IMHO, the tower looks pretty bottom heavy, and all the different types of glass add to the overall disjointedness of the crown... from some angles it looks ok, others.... not so much... fits into the skyline overall ok tho I guess...

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:04 AM
Sydney

I find it strange how the northern face of each 'volume' of the building's massing, including the spire itself, is vertical or close to vertical. From the east/west views of the building it seems to skew north similar to how 30 Hudson Yards skews west. Not uncommon for a modernist skyscraper but here I feel like it clashes with the Art Deco homages the building otherwise aims for. Art Deco's all about symmetrical forms!

Hopefully when the cranes and hoist come down though, it will be easier to look past that. I think the facade is an absolute beauty, the way it plays with light!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
the proportions still seem a little clumsy to me IMHO, the tower looks pretty bottom heavy, and all the different types of glass add to the overall disjointedness of the crown... from some angles it looks ok, others.... not so much... fits into the skyline overall ok tho I guess...
That's the way the classic skyscrapers on the skyline are. That's why it fits so well in the NY skyline. There's no doubt that this building will eventually become an official landmark (years down the line).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing Lin View Post
I find it strange how the northern face of each 'volume' of the building's massing, including the spire itself, is vertical or close to vertical. From the east/west views of the building it seems to skew north similar to how 30 Hudson Yards skews west. Not uncommon for a modernist skyscraper but here I feel like it clashes with the Art Deco homages the building otherwise aims for. Art Deco's all about symmetrical forms!

Hopefully when the cranes and hoist come down though, it will be easier to look past that. I think the facade is an absolute beauty, the way it plays with light!
I think you're overthinking it too much.

Cam shot from today...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive