HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 7:57 PM

I have a question; we are like skyscrapers on here but has anyone ever noticed that no building near Children's Hospital or the University of Pennsylvania Hospital is over 20 floors. Why don't they ever building anything over 20 floors?

Also, nothing in the University Science Center is over 20 floors it seems except 3600 Market; why is that?

If we can get something built in these locations in the 30 to 45 story range it would really, really expand the skyline and with the right night time lighting scheme it could impact the entire city skyline as dramatic as Saint James Condo or FMC Tower does!

Does anyone know why we haven't had anything really over 20 floors?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2017, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
I have a question; we are like skyscrapers on here but has anyone ever noticed that no building near Children's Hospital or the University of Pennsylvania Hospital is over 20 floors. Why don't they ever building anything over 20 floors?

Also, nothing in the University Science Center is over 20 floors it seems except 3600 Market; why is that?

If we can get something built in these locations in the 30 to 45 story range it would really, really expand the skyline and with the right night time lighting scheme it could impact the entire city skyline as dramatic as Saint James Condo or FMC Tower does!

Does anyone know why we haven't had anything really over 20 floors?
Developers don't build to build tall... they build to meet demand. The Science Center is building to meet demand. We may see another building or two over 20 floors at the Science Center, but I wouldn't expect more than that.

Hospitals DEFINITELY don't build tall to just build tall. They're building to meet their current demands and space needs. CHOP did just build a 23 story building at Schuylkill Ave and South Street.

I would say we can expect buildings over 20 floors at the CHOP/Penn main med campus in the future if they keep building like they are.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 12:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Developers don't build to build tall... they build to meet demand. The Science Center is building to meet demand. We may see another building or two over 20 floors at the Science Center, but I wouldn't expect more than that.

Hospitals DEFINITELY don't build tall to just build tall. They're building to meet their current demands and space needs. CHOP did just build a 23 story building at Schuylkill Ave and South Street.

I would say we can expect buildings over 20 floors at the CHOP/Penn main med campus in the future if they keep building like they are.
hospitals also have to consider emergency evacuation scenarios when they are designed. YOu don't see a ton of 30 story hospitals for a reason. Maybe NYC has some, but that would be the exception, not the rule. If you have a fire or other event getting patients out (without elevators) has to be a consideration.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:38 PM

Oh wow; learn something new every day; so that's why they never built over 20 floors in both locations; well with some exceptions!

Thanks

You know; the Penn Med campus is expanding on the east side of the river but at some point they will run out of space; wonder how far ahead they planned? They may have to built tall at some point because the need may demand it years out.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 1:43 PM

Crane base slab being installed next week

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:16 PM

New tattoo

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:59 PM

[QUOTE=Whu215;7914993]

This has to be one of the strangest 8 story construction types that I've ever seen. For only 8 floors I'm surprised they even have a tower crane, but to go to all the bother and expense of having this cantilevered porch built just to hold the crane is wild. Maybe I'll get my wish and as soon as the first 8 floors are finished they start on the next 12.

Welcome back Whu!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 1:33 AM

TG1900 tower crane on same 8' deep plate girders that supported same crane at FMC tower, but this time it is cantilevered instead of propped.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:40 PM

[QUOTE=City Wide;7915041]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whu215 View Post

This has to be one of the strangest 8 story construction types that I've ever seen. For only 8 floors I'm surprised they even have a tower crane, but to go to all the bother and expense of having this cantilevered porch built just to hold the crane is wild. Maybe I'll get my wish and as soon as the first 8 floors are finished they start on the next 12.

Welcome back Whu!
The core portion is going to 12 for now but Grossi got the contract to go to 22 floors.

I'm moved to a Madison job in Ardmore on Monday.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:54 PM

[QUOTE=Whu215;7916251]
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post

The core portion is going to 12 for now but Grossi got the contract to go to 22 floors.

What does "Grossi's" contract cover?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 6:40 PM

[QUOTE=Whu215;7916251]
Quote:

Damn homie, looks like you made it over from South Silly. I ended up quitting facebook, however as you can see I have been a member here for over 14 years.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 6:46 PM

Looking good. Thanks for the site picks, Whu! Also, stay on the straight and arrow. You have not planned well for an anonymous life on the run....

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStor...nmate-49510048

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Looking good. Thanks for the site picks, Whu! Also, stay on the straight and arrow. You have not planned well for an anonymous life on the run....

http://abcnews.go.com/Weird/wireStor...nmate-49510048
Haha, at 43 my bad boy days are far behind me. And I've had hand tattoos since I was 29. No worries.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:02 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=City Wide;7916358]
Quote:

What does "Grossi's" contract cover?
tower crane contract.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 11:36 PM

[QUOTE=1487;7918280]
Quote:

tower crane contract.

No, they are the structural steel ironworkers.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 1:01 AM

[QUOTE=Whu215;7919031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post

IMHO------this project has a tower crane it doesn't need (for a 8 floor building), seemingly in a strange and expensive location, a contract for the core to build to 12 floors (which might make some sense, it would leave room on top of the 8 floor elevators for mechanicals, and still have a shaft to add onto in the future), but a contract for 22 floors worth of steel (and installing it?)
I'll enjoy watching this go up and see how it turns out, and what it turns into.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 12:20 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Whu215;7919031]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post

oh OK. sort of like Cornell. Got it.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:30 PM

[QUOTE=City Wide;7919120]
Quote:

IMHO------this project has a tower crane it doesn't need (for a 8 floor building), seemingly in a strange and expensive location, a contract for the core to build to 12 floors (which might make some sense, it would leave room on top of the 8 floor elevators for mechanicals, and still have a shaft to add onto in the future), but a contract for 22 floors worth of steel (and installing it?)
I'll enjoy watching this go up and see how it turns out, and what it turns into.
I built the core, there is no room inside the core for a tower crane.
The tower crane is needed to install the steel because real estate on that site is at a minimum. There is nowhere to put a moveable crane that can lift the steel safely around the whole site.

The core isn't actually an elevator core either on this site. It's there to attach the steel beams. The actual elevator shaft is in the corner of the site.

The tower crane is needed even if it was an 8 floor building.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 2:58 AM

[QUOTE=Whu215;7919981]
Quote:

I built the core, there is no room inside the core for a tower crane.
The tower crane is needed to install the steel because real estate on that site is at a minimum. There is nowhere to put a moveable crane that can lift the steel safely around the whole site.

The core isn't actually an elevator core either on this site. It's there to attach the steel beams. The actual elevator shaft is in the corner of the site.

The tower crane is needed even if it was an 8 floor building.
Thanks, that clears up my questions about the crane.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 1:38 AM

9/28/2017

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction