HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 6:15 AM

Hey McGrath (and others of course) I just happened to look at the commercial permit that was issued back on December 14th, 2022 and I noticed a minor update and/or some movement:

Approved Scope of Work:

Quote:
AMENDMENT APPROVED 2/24/23
AMEND ALTERATIONS PERMIT CP-2022-006479 TO DOCUMENT ADDITIONAL EXISTING SPACE AND CREATION OF NEW OFFICE AND WINDOW OPENING AS PER APPROVED PLANS

AMENDMENT DESCRIPTION

Quote:
To reconfigure an existing utility space that was hidden during the initial site survey in order to create an additional office for unit 3F and an additional window to be added along the courtyard for the new office space
https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=537857108

Last edited by mcgrath618; Feb 25, 2023 at 6:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
Hey McGrath (and others of course) I just happened to look at the commercial permit that was issued back on December 14th, 2022 and I noticed a minor update and/or some movement:

Approved Scope of Work:

AMENDMENT DESCRIPTION

https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=537857108
Alright! Movement!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2023, 8:31 PM

Lights have been on inside over the past month or so when passing by. Not construction light since it's not gutted, but people have definitely been in and out.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 6:43 PM

Demo permits are up for this one.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
That makes me happy to hear since the site started to seem unsecured. The historic structures had started to take damage from graffiti and broken windows

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 2:40 AM
Midrise

Quote:
By up, I assume you mean the demo permit notices are posted at the site? The extent of demolition was shown in a zoning permit attachment previously, but I see the actual demo permit was issued in October: https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=621061794

Demolition Permit DP-2023-000905 (Issued)
Application Date: Jul 13, 2023
Issue Date: Oct 13, 2023
Completed Date:
Expiration Date: Apr 13, 2024

We’ve known since late 2022 of the apparent pivot by Pearl Properties from the original façadist or overbuild plan to the complete demolition of 3 non-designated buildings, but this is a very disappointing outcome just the same.

Last edited by Jayfar; Jan 13, 2024 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 4:54 AM

Yes, I meant the demo notices are posted on the actual buildings now. They weren’t before. Are they demolishing the entire structures or just parts of the rears as originally planned?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
By up, I assume you mean the demo permit notices are posted at the site? The extent of demolition was shown in a zoning permit attachment previously, but I see the actual demo permit was issued in October: https://eclipse.phila.gov/phillylmsp...ctId=621061794

Demolition Permit DP-2023-000905 (Issued)
Application Date: Jul 13, 2023
Issue Date: Oct 13, 2023
Completed Date:
Expiration Date: Apr 13, 2024

We’ve known since late 2022 of the apparent pivot by Pearl Properties from the original façadist or overbuild plan to the complete demolition of 3 non-designated buildings, but this is a very disappointing outcome just the same.
So, it looks like they are going to knock down everything but the house on the corner? And apparently, they plan to clear the site of buildings without even having released renditions of what the building that takes their place might look like on the lower levels. If that's the case, it should not be permitted.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 5:26 AM

EDIT: Nevermind, you're right, only the corner building is in the rittenhouse/filter historic district. I'm surprised they aren't all in it.

I guess we'll have to see. I feel like I've seen projects pull complete demo permits even if they're leaving part of the structure

Last edited by PurpleWhiteOut; Jan 13, 2024 at 8:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 1:14 PM

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 2:42 PM
Chris

Another piece of Philly character bites the dust for a tower that may never be...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 3:14 PM

While I’d very much like see to the facades remain, they’re not particularly architecturally compelling like the townhouse that is to be restored on the corner. In my opinion, the fire/demolition of the 1700 block of Walnut was a much bigger blow to the aesthetics of the area. The good thing about preservation in Philly is that there aren’t many recent significant architectural losses like you see in NYC (Hotel Pennsylvania, most of Midtown etc). I watched so many cool buildings come down along 5th Ave in the mid 2010’s

The only thing I’ll miss of the possible demo of the 19th St buildings is the roof line/mansard roof of the former flower shop. The rest of the facade seems heavily altered and I don’t think the brickwork is even original.

Last edited by skyhigh07; Jan 13, 2024 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
While I’d very much like see to the facades remain, they’re not particularly architecturally compelling like the townhouse that is to be restored on the corner. In my opinion, the fire/demolition of the 1700 block of Walnut was a much bigger blow to the aesthetics of the area. The good thing about preservation in Philly is that there aren’t many recent significant architectural losses like you see in NYC (Hotel Pennsylvania, most of Midtown etc). I watched so many cool buildings come down along 5th Ave in the mid 2010’s

The only thing I’ll miss of the possible demo of the 19th St buildings is the roof line/mansard roof of the former flower shop. The rest of the facade seems heavily altered and I don’t think the brickwork is even original.
I’d rather keep them but I don’t disagree. The corner house is really the o Lu one worth keeping.

I hope they don’t demo and then sit on the hole for years. That would be a loss.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayormccheese View Post
I’d rather keep them but I don’t disagree. The corner house is really the o Lu one worth keeping.

I hope they don’t demo and then sit on the hole for years. That would be a loss.
Yeah this seems to be a trend in the city lately. A long-standing vacant lot can really set a block a few steps back. The city should require that all preparations are ready for construction prior to demolition.

The 1700 Walnut beer garden seems to have been a dud. I’ve really never seen it particularly busy and it’s seemed to be pretty much shuttered for the last few months even with the holiday decor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 2:55 AM

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 5:08 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Another piece of Philly character bites the dust for a tower that may never be...
What makes you say that?

They're nice looking buildings but not that special. I'll take a 600+ footer over those.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 2:59 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
What makes you say that?

They're nice looking buildings but not that special. I'll take a 600+ footer over those.
See Jeweler's Row and 11th & Walnut... 3 perfectly fine buildings that will be razed for a hypothetical tower.

For the record, I am not against the tower if it was ready for shovels in the ground, but I am not a fan of prematurely razing nice little buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post

Doesn't look heavily altered to me, besides the yucky color paint.
If you study the pictures, the facades and brickwork appear largely original. The only obvious alteration is the 4th floor flush with the sidewalk on the Northernmost building.

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Jan 14, 2024 at 3:19 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 3:12 PM
Chris

Delete, dup.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 3:31 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Yes, I meant the demo notices are posted on the actual buildings now. They weren’t before. Are they demolishing the entire structures or just parts of the rears as originally planned?
Are the notices posted on the 19th St side or elsewhere at the site? A friend who went there just now to photo the notice(s) did not find any on 19th St.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2024, 3:31 PM

Interesting context on the history of the middle building. I'm surprised Pearl isn't more interested in preserving that facade. https://hiddencityphila.org/2014/12/...nhouse-square/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals