HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #141  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 4:57 PM
left of center's Avatar
left of center left of center is online now
1st Ward
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: The Big Onion
Posts: 2,338
What's the deal with the 2 story building across Clark from 203 N LaSalle? I believe the address is 201 N Clark. If any property in the immediate area needs to be redeveloped, its definitely that one!
__________________
"Eventually, I think Chicago will be the most beautiful great city left in the world." -Frank Lloyd Wright
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #142  
Old Posted Feb 3, 2022, 9:23 PM
BruceP BruceP is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Loop Transportation Center (aka 203 N LaSalle)? LOL. It's not a great looking building from the outside, but I do like the sequence of spaces going up to the Clark/Lake platforms. The 2-level retail arcade is a nice space, but it has challenges keeping tenants except for rental car agencies.
Ooops! Commented on the wrong building. Please ignore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #143  
Old Posted Feb 4, 2022, 4:14 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
What's the deal with the 2 story building across Clark from 203 N LaSalle? I believe the address is 201 N Clark. If any property in the immediate area needs to be redeveloped, its definitely that one!
The ultimate plan is replacement. I do not know the status of this

http://www.th-partners.com/201nclark
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #144  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 8:52 PM
le_brew le_brew is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 108
I anxiously check for updates on this; wasn’t it supposed to start this year? I’ve checked Jahn/ for new renderings, details, etc. Nothing to date.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #145  
Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:07 PM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 873
According to this thread a newsletter I read linked to the state just moved their offices out less than a month ago, so would probably hang tight for a bit:

https://twitter.com/anacaprana/statu...98808873488386

I'm guessing Jahn won't release any more renderings for a project this high-profile and meaningful to them until the time is right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #146  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 5:46 AM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 609
Ummm… what is this? I know Google has been buying real estate, but I was not exactly expecting the Thompson Center to be part of their portfolio.

Google in Talks To Buy Chicago’s Thompson Center
https://www.costar.com/article/56463...hompson-center



https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...h=6b6a4ffcd866

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/13/...22-mapped.html

Quote:
The plans, which also include expanding Google’s footprint in Chicago, Atlanta, New York, and Washington, D.C., will add at least 10,000 new full-time jobs, he indicated.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...realestate/amp
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #147  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:16 AM
SIGSEGV's Avatar
SIGSEGV SIGSEGV is online now
He/his/him. >~<, QED!
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Loop, Chicago
Posts: 5,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Ummm… what is this? I know Google has been buying real estate, but I was not exactly expecting the Thompson Center to be part of their portfolio.

Google in Talks To Buy Chicago’s Thompson Center
https://www.costar.com/article/56463...hompson-center



https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...h=6b6a4ffcd866

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/13/...22-mapped.html


https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...realestate/amp
Knowing some Googlers, if this happens, I bet some would move into a pedway-connected building so they never have to go outside.
__________________
And here the air that I breathe isn't dead.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #148  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 6:25 AM
Randomguy34's Avatar
Randomguy34 Randomguy34 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago & Philly
Posts: 1,715
Well, the Thompson Center certainly has plenty of open floor plates
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #149  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 12:59 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,169
It would be a pretty sweet building for a tech company, especially since google has the $$ to do some wildly expensive renovations.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #150  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:16 PM
BuildThemTaller BuildThemTaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Long Island City, NY
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
Ummm… what is this? I know Google has been buying real estate, but I was not exactly expecting the Thompson Center to be part of their portfolio.

Google in Talks To Buy Chicago’s Thompson Center
https://www.costar.com/article/56463...hompson-center



https://www.forbes.com/sites/jackkel...h=6b6a4ffcd866

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/04/13/...22-mapped.html


https://www.architecturaldigest.com/...realestate/amp
ChiCAgo IS iN a doWnWarD SpIRal
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #151  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 1:24 PM
Chi-Sky21 Chi-Sky21 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,191
The reports of its death have been GREATLY exaggerated!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #152  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:17 PM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,084
I couldn't get past the pay wall, but is there any indication Google would keep a part of the building open to the public? Or would they just occupy the entire building outright?

I would hope for the former. This building does kinda seem like a "Google" like building... With the open floor plans, overall looks, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #153  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:23 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
I couldn't get past the pay wall, but is there any indication Google would keep a part of the building open to the public? Or would they just occupy the entire building outright?

I would hope for the former. This building does kinda seem like a "Google" like building... With the open floor plans, overall looks, etc.
Very possible that they keep part of it as public if the sale goes through. They own Chelsea Market in Manhattan and have some offices in it, but also the market portion is completely public and very busy.

Of course, this is a different animal with a super wide open atrium in the middle. I'm sure it would take more time than when they just bought Chelsea Market. This probably needs some sort of work id that's the case.


A bit confusing overall as I thought there were previous, solid plans for this. But if it means putting hundreds of Google employees there then, no problem. Might even spur someone to try converting some nearby office to residential, who knows.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #154  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:54 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,672
Is this actually gonna be a Google office, or is Google just gonna own the building and be a landlord? Fulton Market fits their image as a company with a youthful, trendy workforce... Thompson Center is a cool building, but in a deeply uncool area.

Also, how does Reschke fit into this? Is he just taking the building from the state, doing a build-to-suit and then selling to Google? Big companies usually prefer to work with local developers who can navigate the complicated process of entitlements and construction. Or is Reschke out completely? I have lots of questions!
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #155  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:56 PM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

A bit confusing overall as I thought there were previous, solid plans for this. But if it means putting hundreds of Google employees there then, no problem. Might even spur someone to try converting some nearby office to residential, who knows.
It’s certainly out of left field, isn’t it?

But here are the State of Illinois and The Prime Group signing this buyback deal, and then along comes Google shopping for offices a few weeks later. Doh!

Bet that state deal got jettisoned out the airlock faster than light speed.

Quote:
The state of Illinois on Thursday finalized a deal to sell the James R. Thompson Center for $70 million and then buy back about one-third of the building for more than double that amount.

The state entered into negotiations with Rechke’s JRTC Holdings in December, and the deal was signed just ahead of a Tuesday deadline set in state law.

The $70 million upfront payment to the state is dwarfed by the roughly $146 million the state will pay to buy back office space once the notoriously rundown building is renovated, a net cost of $76 million.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...oam-story.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #156  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:59 PM
Handro Handro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Is this actually gonna be a Google office, or is Google just gonna own the building and be a landlord? Fulton Market fits their image as a company with a youthful, trendy workforce... Thompson Center is a cool building, but in a deeply uncool area.
Deeply uncool--until Google moves in and all the vacant office space (that costs a tiny fraction of comparable spaces in similar neighborhoods in SF and NY) downtown suddenly becomes very attractive to smaller tech companies... Pretty much the same thing happened in Fulton Market, right? There's been lots of talk of Google adding lots of new jobs in Chicago, maybe their Fulton Market office will be for engineers and tech workers and the new space would be for the front facing roles?

Unless I'm misreading this totally. Does Google have a RE arm now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #157  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:13 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 15,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Unless I'm misreading this totally. Does Google have a RE arm now?
That's what I'm wondering, maybe Google is just looking to park cash in urban real estate at a time when other kinds of investments are not looking good.

Last I heard, they were fully committed to expanding in Fulton Market, either with Sterling Bay or another developer. If they're anything like Amazon in Seattle, they don't need their buildings to be connected or directly adjacent, but they need to be within walking distance of each other, not a mile apart.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #158  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:21 PM
Via Chicago Via Chicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,534
is there a non-paywalled version beyond the headline? any details beyond the headline?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #159  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:29 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Deeply uncool--until Google moves in and all the vacant office space (that costs a tiny fraction of comparable spaces in similar neighborhoods in SF and NY) downtown suddenly becomes very attractive to smaller tech companies... Pretty much the same thing happened in Fulton Market, right? There's been lots of talk of Google adding lots of new jobs in Chicago, maybe their Fulton Market office will be for engineers and tech workers and the new space would be for the front facing roles?

Unless I'm misreading this totally. Does Google have a RE arm now?
Exactly. Google could go into the uncoolest area and magically make it cool. Not many people actually thinks meatpacking itself is cool but Google showed up to it in Chicago and voila.

Google is investing in real estate but I think everytime they do it, they put some offices in there. Just like McDonald's at least. They own the real estate but also have their business on/in it. I'm not aware of any specific real estate investing arm that Google or its parent Alphabet has. They have typically invested via venture capital but buying real estate and purely being a landlord without them having offices there would be a first
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...B0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #160  
Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:49 PM
galleyfox galleyfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Google is investing in real estate but I think everytime they do it, they put some offices in there. Just like McDonald's at least. They own the real estate but also have their business on/in it. I'm not aware of any specific real estate investing arm that Google or its parent Alphabet has. They have typically invested via venture capital but buying real estate and purely being a landlord without them having offices there would be a first
If Google were just looking to park money in real estate, would the Thompson Center really be the first choice? That’s not minor upkeep and some repairs. The building needs hundreds of millions of renovations just to start. The original Reschke plan is about the most cost effective plan for the building itself.

And then The Prime Group last month started negotiating for other LaSalle properties. That’s an awful lot of confidence.

Quote:
Reschke, who earned the moniker “Harry Houdini” from Crain’s in 1999 for his ability to survive precarious financial situations in the city’s commercial real estate market, is trying to pull off another amazing escape. He’s eyeing more distressed Loop property after paying the state $70 million for the Thompson Center, the outlet reported. Reschke is leading what is likely to be an expensive makeover of the property.

His company Prime Group’s next purchase looks like it will be the loan attached to office buildings at 115 South LaSalle and 111 West Monroe Street, Crain’s reported, citing unidentified people familiar with the discussions. The buildings were longtime Chicago offices for BMO Harris Bank and law firm Chapman & Cutler, which lease about 900,000 square feet in the towers but are moving to the newly completed BMO Tower by Union Station.
https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2022...le-street/amp/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:14 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.