HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:57 PM

That one was in the news when it first came out cause the nieghbours were losing their dog shitting grass.

It's up against the freeway, like the one on Bishop. And people don't like it. The entrance is still off Roblin in a terrible location. Suck it up I says.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
What precedent are we celebrating?

The demolition of a one of a kind house to put up the same rinse and repeat multifamily building that goes up all over the place a few blocks down in Osborne Village?

It's not like this was some underused empty lot festering for years.
1055 Wellington

514 Wellington

This looks like an improvement to what's currently been built within Wellington. It also feels like it does a good job matching up to the existing houses on Kingsway. The fact that it is replacing 1 unit with 8 units is also good for densification of an inner-city area that doesn't have that much density to begin with. Sure the way this specific building was treated should have been handled, but that's what the HCD designation is supposed to do anyway.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:03 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
I should add that the longevity of pre-war houses isn't necessary something to do with higher quality workmanship. It's mostly unintentional.

They are built with solid materials, with a complete lack of insulation or vapour barrier to trap moisture in. This allows the structure to remain dry, or at least retain the ability to actually dry out (and not theoretically dry out like today's houses). Mold, rot and similar issues are not possible in these types of houses under normal circumstances.

This also means that houses (like mine) are energy pigs and uncomfortably dry in the dead of winter - no matter how much water you dump into the air via humidifiers.

You can go and insulate and modernize old houses to add in a vapour barrier and make it more energy efficient - but you always run the risk of unintentional consequences down the road, including accelerating decay of structure especially the main floor rim joist and mortar within the rubblestone foundation walls. There is always a trade off.
very true on modernizing old homes as u get frost in the walls when try to seal them from the inside need to rip the envilope off and modernize that

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 4:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
very true on modernizing old homes as u get frost in the walls when try to seal them from the inside need to rip the envilope off and modernize that
The upper floors are easier to tackle properly as compared to the foundation walls and rim joist area.

If you do have a rubblestone foundation, unless you can afford to insulate it and protect it from exterior moisture properly, you are best just to leave it and pay a bit more on your hydro bills.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 7:28 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
The upper floors are easier to tackle properly as compared to the foundation walls and rim joist area.

If you do have a rubblestone foundation, unless you can afford to insulate it and protect it from exterior moisture properly, you are best just to leave it and pay a bit more on your hydro bills.
true.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:04 PM

4025 Roblin Blvd Renderings

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 8:06 PM
the first stamp is free

Another one of them horizontal skyscrapers.

That building is massive.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
And houses in that stock are still of superior quality to most anything built today, despite all the retro work needed
Dumb question. Why are these houses of superior quality compared to recently constructed houses? How exactly are the materials of 10-20 years ago of better quality ....and what specific materials are we talking about? The wood? Concrete for the foundation of the house? Shingles?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Dumb question. Why are these houses of superior quality compared to recently constructed houses? How exactly are the materials of 10-20 years ago of better quality ....and what specific materials are we talking about? The wood? Concrete for the foundation of the house? Shingles?
I asked the same question a few pages ago and WinCitySparky gave me a very insightful answer below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Core materials from that early 20th century era such as hardwood lumber and well-built limestone foundations were often much tougher/moisture resistant, breathable, and more structurally resilient in certain century old neighbourhoods. This is not completely typical but often very much the case. I’ve worked in many many houses of this age in Wolseley/West End area and it’s very rare that, if relatively undisturbed and somewhat well drained/maintained throughout their lifetimes, the original structures show hardly any sign of breakdown or significant warping of the structure. Old plumbing/drains, old electrical, plaster and lath finishes, those types of things obviously didn’t stand the time test and need replacement. But the bones are strong and the structures very very sturdy. I own two century-old SFHs in the area and would certainly invest in another some day. As long as they’ve been maintained decently, many have a great value-over-time horizon and continued life expectancy if one is able to do the needed systemic restorative work.

They aren’t all gems though, as some are heavily neglected past the point of no return, so one still has to do their due diligence. Slum landlords who bought up a lot of the stock extremely cheap in these areas in the 80’s and 90’s are largely to blame for this. But even some of those were built well enough in their time to be brought back from the dead with confidence and enough investment/elbow grease.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I asked the same question a few pages ago and WinCitySparky gave me a very insightful answer below.
Yeah, just saw that.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 11:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
depends

water is your worst eninmy always specialy modern homes built with allot of osb

Old Posted Jan 28, 2022, 11:41 PM

I like the Charleswood proposal , good to keep people in the area looking for Apartments/ Condos .

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 3:25 PM

Looks like the Polo Park redevelopment proposal is a step closer to being possible. The new Airport Vicinity Protection Area Regulation was adopted by council last week, but I guess they still have to iron out exactly allowed in each area.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewnz View Post
Looks like the Polo Park redevelopment proposal is a step closer to being possible. The new Airport Vicinity Protection Area Regulation was adopted by council last week, but I guess they still have to iron out exactly allowed in each area.

Does anyone know if CF is still in a position (or wants to?) to move this forward now that a pandemic has come through and the city's dated airport plan delayed this whole thing for a couple years?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Does anyone know if CF is still in a position (or wants to?) to move this forward now that a pandemic has come through and the city's dated airport plan delayed this whole thing for a couple years?
Good question. But I'd say that even if the pandemic delays CF's plans, I could see it still happening eventually, especially given that the fundamentals of the housing market haven't really changed over the past few years.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Well Polo Park is still thriving and I’m sure residential units next to Polo Park will sell like hot cakes and generate some good revenue for CF. It would do a lot for the vibrancy in the area as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:33 PM

Maybe the old stadium site could be developed into residential as well. As that plan obviously didn't work out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Well Polo Park is still thriving and I’m sure residential units next to Polo Park will sell like hot cakes and generate some good revenue for CF. It would do a lot for the vibrancy in the area as well.
Yea I can only imagine they would want to diversify their revenue base given the way physical retail has been going these last several years. Huge plus for the area if this goes ahead. I just wasn't sure if anyone would have any inside info. I can also guess that the pandemic wasn't too friendly to CFs bottom line and might have to scale back their ambition ir timelines.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 4:43 PM

Another factor to consider is the stagnate population growth. Without new people moving in, there's only so much the market can handle. Ie: people just moving around. The whole system built around growth and expansion really is shit.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2022, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Another factor to consider is the stagnate population growth. Without new people moving in, there's only so much the market can handle. Ie: people just moving around. The whole system built around growth and expansion really is shit.
1 year of stagnation doesn’t compensate for the lack of housing supply from 20 years of population growth. Our housing prices still increased by 7% despite the lack of population growth.

I’ve noticed there has been just as much construction activity right now as there was last year and we broke our record for number of units built last year. There might even be more activity later this year. We also have to consider that Trudeau is pumping immigration numbers to all-time highs for the next few years and we all know this is where Winnipeg gets it growth from. So unless 15,000 people move out of Winnipeg this year growth is expected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan