HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Church at Lanark and Academy is for sale.. sign out front says "zoned for medium density."
Lindsay and Academy. That one has been for sale for what must be at least a year now. Could be a great redevelopment given its location, but unfortunately it doesn't seem like buyers are queuing up for it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Does anyone know what ever happened to this proposal for the St. Mary's cathedral?

I'm guessing Covid probably killed it because I haven't heard anything since 2017, but it would be good to know if someone has more info on the matter.
heh who ever had that render seems to of deleted since yesterday hmm

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:30 PM

^^^ thanks for the correction. A building like the one just built at Grant and Oxford would look amazing there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
heh who ever had that render seems to of deleted since yesterday hmm
Dunno I can still see it fine

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 8:23 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i see the windows on the watkins (90 annabella) are getting replaced or rebuilt? the few they have installed so far look nice

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Yea the development got approved on the January 4 meeting to be a 4 storey 32 unit building with 49 parking stalls (9 to be shared with the church)

Oh nice. I havent been by since probably before Christmas now and didnt notice anything at that time. I think theres been a sign up for a while but I guess assumed it was just old.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 10:16 PM

Its going to look different after having that empty lot there for the last 60 years or so.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
i see the windows on the watkins (90 annabella) are getting replaced or rebuilt? the few they have installed so far look nice
Another labor of love project. Hopefully they extend waterfront drive. Not putting IGF down there was s huge mistake imo.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Its going to look different after having that empty lot there for the last 60 years or so.
The fire station was also slated for reno/expansion. But I'm not sure where that is at. They had planned for an expansion to the north side towards the Hydro corridor.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:46 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The fire station was also slated for reno/expansion. But I'm not sure where that is at. They had planned for an expansion to the north side towards the Hydro corridor.
I think the City has changed plans and intend to build a new station in the area of Lagimodiere Blvd and Grassie Blvd. I am not sure where but...

I believe the problem is the traffic and capacity of Kimberly that is an issue.

IMO they should build in the east loop of the Concordia overpass.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jan 24, 2022 at 7:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 4:58 PM

Interesting. Not sure what area they serve. But Kimberly seems decent for being central to the area. Next closest I can think of is Archibald at Nairn. So maybe location could be optimized.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Yeah the example that comes to my mind foremost is the church at Broadway and Osborne that built that big slick building recently. Not sure how that was all structured. I probably just assume that churches with prominent buildings like this one have access to loans or other funds through the church at large. I don’t really know anything about it though.
I sat on the steering committee for that project. University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation (UWCRC 2.0) was our partner and developer, and they helped structure the deal, which was quite complex. Tons of moving pieces and funding from a variety of different sources. It was a very interesting project to be a part of.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soewnz View Post
I sat on the steering committee for that project. University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation (UWCRC 2.0) was our partner and developer, and they helped structure the deal, which was quite complex. Tons of moving pieces and funding from a variety of different sources. It was a very interesting project to be a part of.
Thanks for that info!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:45 PM

Looks like there's another step towards phase 2 of The Arc student housing at Pembina and Bison Drive on the council agenda tomorrow. Just rezoning the parcel of land that the old Subaru dealership is on, so I'm sure it's still years away. I'd be interested to know how the first phase is filling up given the remote learning situation.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:35 PM

Unhappy

Alaire homes came in at $700,000 to $850,000 for a 2000 SQF home. Rough estimate.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
Alaire homes came in at $700,000 to $850,000 for a 2000 SQF home. Rough estimate.
The good news is that you'll be able to get a pretty nice 2,000 sf home on the market for less than that. Even better, you can probably get one in a much more convenient neighbourhood than West St. Paul.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 10:13 PM

Depends. New 1600 sq ft home going for 800k right now.

Could probably find a couple year old 2000 sq footer if you wait. Or an older one that still needs reno.

Here's a 2300 sq ft in Sage Creek. 900k.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...peg-sage-creek

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 12:55 AM
the first stamp is free

Good heavens. My 2000 square foot house in Wolseley was a crazy bargain 8 years ago if this is where house prices are at.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Good heavens. My 2000 square foot house in Wolseley was a crazy bargain 8 years ago if this is where house prices are at.
And houses in that stock are still of superior quality to most anything built today, despite all the retro work needed

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
And houses in that stock are still of superior quality to most anything built today, despite all the retro work needed
I'm not a construction guy but I've heard this enough times from people who are to believe it. Which is why I was getting at the idea that buying a home built more than 15-20 years ago might be a blessing in disguise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan