HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 12:01 AM
BANNED

Have to love the double standard in this city when it comes to anything Wellington Cres. and area, split a 150 foot lot into two 75' lots no way say residents and backed by our clueless council but split 48' lots in St. Vital or elsewhere into 24.5' lots no problem says city council!

A condo on Wellington Cresc. on a large lot near other condos, no way says council but condo's okay in residential areas of single family homes elsewhere in Winnipeg even if out of scale for the area, why not says council!

and of course the parking issue only comes up if it affects residents of Wellington Cresc. anywhere else it's, ''parking isn't an issue" even when it is!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 2:20 AM

The developer should leave the lot empty and unfenced for as long as it takes for an encampment to take firm hold and grow to cover the entire lot.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:23 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
A lot of the complaints had to do with the precedent it set by allowing that house to rot for condos. As well as the city still hasn't voted on the Crestwood Historic preservation district (which is being voted on in a few months?). So I think this project will be revisited again.

I will add that there were lots of traffic complaints which is typical for NIMBY's. However, I went to Kelvin High School and I will tell you that parking is always insane there.

I watched the meeting while I was working and I actually began to agree with some of the arguments - especially the precedent it sets. I think this particular development's circumstances were just really misfortunate on all sides.
The precedent of million dollar condo’s? The horror.

It should set a precedent. There is no reason that neighbourhood is sacred. Why would any neighbourhood not be allowed to evolve and diversify?

I just watched the meeting. Pretty clear the residents and Orlikow believe the heritage designation will prevent multi family from happening in their millionaire enclave. They were unwavering. Really big. Really expensive. Single family homes only. Not sure why crescentwood deserves to be shrink wrapped in time any more than Wolseley or the West Emd.

There was no reason at all this should have been rejected. It should be allowed to be three times larger.

Was hilarious to hear some mythical future bike path that is in the 25 year plan be used by Orlikow as a way to stop it. A second curb cut was to be added to Wellington because residents wouldnt allow it on Kingsway but apparently two curb cuts is bad for the bike lane if it ever happens.

Every argument was bogus. Skene was a number. Direct Quote. If current zoning can be changed on a whim we have no chance to protect our little oasis. Zoning is a sacred covenant between the city and a homeowner. When you buy a property you expect what you buy to be maintained, not changed with everybody’s new idea.

My blood was boiling after listening to her. Why can’t the people of Glenwood make that same argument? Because their houses aren’t big enough? We only protect rich people housing? Rich people can’t live near multi-family buildings? I don’t get it.

The kicker is. It’s a rich person development. Imagine if someone wanted to build an apartment that actually allowed people who can’t afford a million dollar home to have access to their community.

The irony is the presentation right before was five times bigger on a smaller street in an older neighbourhood and they approved it happily. Wasn’t a rich person street I guess.

Last edited by trueviking; Jan 12, 2022 at 3:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:29 AM
BANNED

^ Bang on!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:43 AM

Quote:
If current zoning can be changed on a whim we have no chance to protect our little oasis. Zoning is a sacred covenant between the city and a homeowner. When you buy a property you expect what you buy to be maintained, not changed with everybody’s new idea.
"When I buy a house, I have also purchased an eternal veto on all the all the properties around me."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
The kicker is. It’s a rich person development. Imagine if someone wanted to build an apartment that actually allowed people who can’t afford a million dollar home to have access to their community.

The irony is the presentation right before was five times bigger on a smaller street in an older neighbourhood and they approved it happily. Wasn’t a rich person street I guess.
I think it's pretty clear that there is different treatment of wealthy neighbourhoods. Remember this? If you have enough local heavy hitters on the 'opposed' list, you can easily spook the councillors into rejecting any application.

To echo what some others have said here, I do have a hard time embracing the project given that it is only happening because someone used the demolition by neglect ploy. I hate to see it get rewarded. But the horse is out of the barn on that one.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:28 AM
surely you agree with me

I’m a huge critic of demolition by neglect but that wasn’t really the case here. It wasn’t a protected building. Anyone can demolish their private home if they want. That’s what they want to change with their heritage district. No demolition will be allowed.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I’m a huge critic of demolition by neglect but that wasn’t really the case here. It wasn’t a protected building. Anyone can demolish their private home if they want. That’s what they want to change with their heritage district. No demolition will be allowed.
It wasn't protected? OK, I was under the impression that it was. In that case, I have no issue with it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 9:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

pemida from the perimiter wow this things huge

(i was not the person driving)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:46 PM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It wasn't protected? OK, I was under the impression that it was. In that case, I have no issue with it.
I was also under the impression that this house was protected or in the process of being protected - there are some references to this in older articles.

To be clear, I am in favour of this being built, and I 100% agree that we need to density our neighbourhoods.

However, I still take issue with the loss of this specific house - I would even if it was being torn down for another mansion. If it had been just down Kingsway, or hell even if it was on peanut park idc. I would care less, but this house was prominent and a landmark that many outside of the area knew.

I just think it is a missed opportunity to reuse or convert or expand the house to multifamily. There are so many creative ways that the existing house could have added density.

Every area has prominent historic buildings. This was one of this area's most prominent so I can understand the anger and desire to preserve it.

That being said, what's done is done - the house is gone. And I want to see this built.

Last edited by peg; Jan 12, 2022 at 5:26 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 4:58 PM

I just did a quick take-off and the proposed development at 514 Wellington was to be 11.4 units per acre. 8 units is surprisingly small. I live in 1940s River Heights, and my SF block is 10.9 units per acre. This is an all-private land measurement and can't be compared to large scale developments, ie no public land included. The N side of Kingsway between Stafford and Wellington is 4.9 units per acre.

The rejected development is the same density as SFHs on 40'x95' lots. It is hardly multi-family. I find this shocking.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 5:09 PM

Unbelievable... 514 Wellington is directly across from Munson Park and close to transit on Academy/Sherbrook (I suppose rich people in Winnipeg don't exactly take transit, but still). It seems like an ideal place for density in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 6:21 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
I was also under the impression that this house was protected or in the process of being protected - there are some references to this in older articles.

To be clear, I am in favour of this being built, and I 100% agree that we need to density our neighbourhoods.

However, I still take issue with the loss of this specific house - I would even if it was being torn down for another mansion. If it had been just down Kingsway, or hell even if it was on peanut park idc. I would care less, but this house was prominent and a landmark that many outside of the area knew.

I just think it is a missed opportunity to reuse or convert or expand the house to multifamily. There are so many creative ways that the existing house could have added density.

Every area has prominent historic buildings. This was one of this area's most prominent so I can understand the anger and desire to preserve it.

That being said, what's done is done - the house is gone. And I want to see this built.
yeah, I totally agree. It broke my heart to see it demolished. The heritage protection you hear is a neighbourhood character district designation that they are trying to get. It would mean nothing will ever be allowed to be torn down within the defined area....the ultimate rich person NIMBY tool.

I wonder if the NIMBY's would have been ok with the old house being turned into 8 suites. if they are opposed to 8 millionaire homes I doubt they would have been good with 8 homes for normal people, which is what that would have been.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:50 AM

Paragon has some little tidbits in their Instagram account stories about future projects. One looks like a building slated for that empty lot on Portage Ave. along the Assiniboine River across from Deer Lodge Centre as it says "overlooking Assiniboine Park" and that is the only lot I can think of that would fit this description.

Last edited by Jeff; Jan 13, 2022 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 4:33 AM
keep the good times going

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 1:48 PM

The best possible scenario for 514 Wellington Cres. is:
- let NIMBYs win this time so the developer goes broke or at least lose as much money as possible to punish him for the demolition of that beauty
- then approve a 3-4 storey L-shaped multi family block, which can be built to the property line with CRUs on ground floor to improve the neighbourhood and punish those NYMBYs

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:15 PM

Hello everybody,

I was wondering if you could help me out and head me in the right direction.

My wife and I were planning to buy a house in the River Heights/Tuxedo/Linden Woods are, but with prices being some what unreasonable and inventory low we decided to build.

What should I look for in a home builder? Without favouritism do you know of any honest and transparent home builders that do good work? We have contacted Alaire, Meric and Paragon already.

Also, I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but how much should I be looking at spending on a 2,000 SQF house in Winnipeg. 500-650K? We already own the land.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:16 PM

I believe the NIMBY attitude we are seeing in regards to the Wellington development is less about their heritage designation and more about the increase in cars using the site. They would be saying that whether there was a heritage issue or not. Just like they did with the multi unit construction along Academy all those years back.

I actually think that the heritage designation is a great idea. To me its not about NIMBYism because it is something the whole city stands to benefit from.

Armstrong Point successfully got the designation and I think the area around Enderton Park is a great candidate.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby604 View Post
Hello everybody,

I was wondering if you could help me out and head me in the right direction.

My wife and I were planning to buy a house in the River Heights/Tuxedo/Linden Woods are, but with prices being some what unreasonable and inventory low we decided to build.

What should I look for in a home builder? Without favouritism do you know of any honest and transparent home builders that do good work? We have contacted Alaire, Meric and Paragon already.

Also, I know this is like asking how long a piece of string is, but how much should I be looking at spending on a 2,000 SQF house in Winnipeg. 500-650K? We already own the land.

Any help would be great and much appreciated.
If you already own the land, that helps. We've been looking at moving or building too.

2000 sq. ft for $500k. It'll depend on your the quality of the build and finishes. You could build a house for that price I'm sure especially if you have the land. Material prices are coming down slowly.

Maric probably won't get it done for that price. Did they give you any feedback yet? From my dealing with Maric, as of now, "it's $1 mil plus" and yes in quotes that is statement from them. But again is you have the land, that might be just about right.

I always love Maric homes. They do a great job.

Beyond that I don't really know. It's always a crap shoot and every builder is there to make money of course.

Edit: in my browsing's this morning. $620k +. Land on that is probably $200k in the City in the new development. The house is 1900 sq. ft and will be mostly basic finishes. They mention quartz and stuff but I find even then still not high end. Not sure what you're looking for exactly.
https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...evonshire-park

Last edited by bomberjet; Jan 13, 2022 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2022, 3:12 PM

Good luck, Bobby604. It is interesting to see how low the inventory of homes on the market is right now. I took a peek on realtor.ca the other day just to get a look at what's happening and there is next to nothing out there. I realize this is the quietest time of the year, but still, there is not a single home in my entire neighbourhood on the MLS which is quite something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan