HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1000M in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 1:30 AM

About time. Someone finally needed a safe space to park some money that’s not crypto garbage.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:06 AM
The City

This is a big deal, guys. >800 ft and in the south loop

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:18 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
About time. Someone finally needed a safe space to park some money that’s not crypto garbage.
Since when did pyramid schemes get such a bad rap?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:36 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Since when did pyramid schemes get such a bad rap?
Now if they were only building pyramids, some mummies would get a good wrap.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 2:07 PM
The City

My question is: Does this project, at this height and scale, and if successful, put some mojo back into the south loop being that the West Loop has sort of stolen the limelight of late?

South Loop be like “We got an 800 footer under construction, bitches!” West Loop doesn’t yet have an answer to that

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My question is: Does this project, at this height and scale, and if successful, put some mojo back into the south loop being that the West Loop has sort of stolen the limelight of late?

South Loop be like “We got an 800 footer under construction, bitches!” West Loop doesn’t yet have an answer to that
Only really a competition on these pages - the South Loop lacks the public spaces that West-Loop-FultonMkt has. Randolph and Fulton market have both been very successfully transformed from markets where food was distributed to outdoor plazas where food ( and alcohol ) are consumed.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:24 PM
The City

^ There is a TON of potential in South Michigan and Wabash as well as a few of the East-west running streets for a similar type of scene to emerge

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ There is a TON of potential in South Michigan and Wabash as well as a few of the East-west running streets for a similar type of scene to emerge
yes potential - but most people don't choose a neighborhood, for residence or business - on potential.

The South loop seems focused on keeping the public spaces closed off to outsiders.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:58 PM
1st Ward

Its interesting that the South Loop hasn't yet created the same vibrancy and street/night life that Fulton Market has, considering how much denser and how many more residents live in the South Loop.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 5:01 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Its interesting that the South Loop hasn't yet created the same vibrancy and street/night life that Fulton Market has, considering how much denser and how many more residents live in the South Loop.
Dearborn Park kind of ruins any cohesiveness. IMO the most vibrant part of South Loop is Printer's Row.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
The high residential population (and thus, NIMBYs) is probably what is keeping the South Loop from becoming more of a destination like Fulton Market. I live in Printer's Row and there was a proposal earlier this year to build a tower on the surface parking lot at 601 S Dearborn and my building HOA sent a letter to the alderman disapproving of the plan for the usual NIMBY reasons. I never got to see a rendering or anything (I moved in later, and only know of this from the HOA docs I reviewed when buying the place) but I believe it was a relative low-rise, shorter than the neighboring 600 S Dearborn. Getting rid of that surface lot and adding more retail and restaurants would further enhance the scene here a Printer's Row, which I agree is the 'best' of the South Loop although quite small.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 10:24 PM
Urbane observer

It wasn't NIMBYs sending a letter to the alderman. Through odd historic circumstances, the Transportation Building essentially has veto power over anything getting built on that parking lot.

More details here.

At some point, however, money will speak louder than that old guy on the second floor who whined that his view of the sunrise would be blocked.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 10:58 PM
BANNED

At some point, however, money will speak louder than that old guy on the second floor who whined that his view of the sunrise would be blocked.[/QUOTE]

Agree. The real estate is gonna become too valuable for some 2 story townhomes. Just a matter of time.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 8:48 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Conventional wisdom is that "retail follows rooftops" but the West Loop grew a vibrant restaurant/club scene when it was still fully industrial, before it had any residents at all. Arguably if the residents came first, they never would have allowed the nightlife scene to get established. There also wouldn't be the same cool factor to the restaurants in the early years if they were surrounded by luxury condos.

I also think it's interesting that the largest concentration of restaurants is north of Washington and most of the residents are south of Washington.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I also think it's interesting that the largest concentration of restaurants is north of Washington and most of the residents are south of Washington.
I noticed this as well spending the Summer down in the West Loop. The area south of Randolph is quite pleasant actually. Fairly quiet considering how much is going on in the West Loop. In the case of 1000M, maybe the best course is to have focused areas of new entertainment in adjacent areas West (78 site, etc).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Dearborn Park kind of ruins any cohesiveness. IMO the most vibrant part of South Loop is Printer's Row.
Not sure about Dearborn Park being an obstacle, but I live elsewhere in the Loop and agree that Printers' Row is a very nice part of South Loop. As a relative newcomer, though, I have to say I'm surprised that the big student population in this area north of Roosevelt hasn't seemed to generate any kind of "college-town" vibe with more hip restaurants, cool bars with live music, etc. Where do the students hang out

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Either Parcel I or Tribune East in early 2022.
I don't think we can expect to hear much on Parcel I until the developers repivot the programming from for-sale to rental product.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
I don't think we can expect to hear much on Parcel I until the developers repivot the programming from for-sale to rental product.
Is this for certain? Some cursory googling shows I that I think Cirrus ended up as condos and Cascade rentals.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivernorthlurker View Post
Is this for certain? Some cursory googling shows I that I think Cirrus ended up as condos and Cascade rentals.
That is correct. If the developers can make Cirrus work as condos, why not also parcel I? Especially if it can deliver in the sweet spot between St. Regis/Tribune phase 1 and Tribune East.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2021, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpacaObsessor View Post
Where are you getting this information from??? I'm not aware of any plans for this to be changed to rental. . .

. . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction