HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 2:16 AM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Stale never tasted so damn sweet. Not to brag, but we know what the phuck we're doing over here at SSP.

We're not always 100% on (my tip that this could be taller), but we're diligent and have great sleuths and posters.

Good work all. I appreciate you.
Go ahead and brag, the Chicago coverage on the forum is quite fantastic. This is because despite what that disgruntled arm chair blogger says, many of us do know what we are talking about. This is, in no small part, due to quite a few of us having formal education and/or training involving the built environment and having gone on to work in the industry in some capacity.

There are a number of us forumers who work in the realm of architecture, planning, engineering, construction, property management/real estate and other related businesses. Additionally, there is some serious talent with the photographers who make regular contributions to our threads and a dedication to keep the good photos coming as these projects rise.

I will enjoy watching this tower grow as each stage is photographed and thoroughly discussed. Now pardon me as I need to crawl out of my parent's basement to make a 7-11 run for more Cheetos.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 8:49 PM

^ Kind of building on that comment, Curbed and DNAinfo have also emerged as relatively solid journalism outlets for the type of development updates - down to geek minutiae like writing whole articles just because a construction crane was delivered - that we share on this forum. It almost feels like they're an extension or outgrowth from SSP or the same community of people. I can't remember how they were a couple years back, but it seems like they've been upping their game lately; they're kind of a hyperlocal Crain's now. (So, mix in some brie & crackers with the cheetos..) And the cross-seeding of information with SSP is coming just as this cycle hits a frenzy. It's an interesting phenomenon.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2016, 9:04 PM

^I first started lurking here well over a decade ago while still in high school. Ive learned more about construction here than anywhere else by far. The information is more accurate and reliable than Emporis or SSC if you ask me. Thanks to our profound and mysterious Spyguy we are the first to know when something is stirring, sometimes months before anything is released. Within minutes HarryC will have provided a recent picture of the development site and throughout construction, he and the likes of Solarwind & JMT keep us all current on the progress from multiple angles and perspectives. Even NIMBYs like Mr. Downtown occasionally share sound legal perspectives as they relate to certain proposals.

So yeah...eff that guy.

regarding the new renderings of the east tower I love the base as it speaks to the west tower. The first setback looks to be at about 2/3 the total height of the tower or roughly the height of the roof of WPW. I forget who mentioned it but I also saw subtle similarities with 150 N. Riverside.

One more thing I've learned here is when to get excited and when not to. I'm starting to get excited now.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 2:53 AM

This will be such a beautiful addition when viewed with riverpoint and riverside. It'll add such meat to the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 9:20 PM
BANNED

"Could be" as tall as 950 feet. Where is that 1,100 foot number coming from? Wishful thinking?

Also who is the architect on this second building?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 9:32 PM

^ Hmm, don't know; the 3rd-to-last paragraph of the quote above sure fails to mention the name of the specific architect within the Pelli office who designed this.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 10:25 PM
The City

So the west and the east towers will have a combined 1216 apartments.

Damn. That tiny peninsula known as Wolf Point, once holding a little tavern and inn at the outskirts of the developed world, just got seriously crowded

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 10:28 PM
Biased in a good way?

"It is expected to be completed by December 2019."

Are we to assume this means there will be no movement on WP South whatsoever until 2020? Or could they overlap?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2016, 11:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
^ Hmm, don't know; the 3rd-to-last paragraph of the quote above sure fails to mention the name of the specific architect within the Pelli office who designed this.
Oh hah... Thanks

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post

Are we to assume this means there will be no movement on WP South whatsoever until 2020? Or could they overlap?
I wouldn't expect anything about WPS until 2021 at the earliest.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post

Back when the whole Wolf Point project was unveiled, during the very first public meeting, which I attended, the entire project had a completion date of 2022. Seems to me things are going as scheduled so far. Also, the height of WPS was projected to be 950ft. I believe the ~ 1100~ number started floating around after first seeing the version with the spire which was quickly yanked off of the original Wolf Point website once it was made light of.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 4:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Forever View Post
Back when the whole Wolf Point project was unveiled, during the very first public meeting, which I attended, the entire project had a completion date of 2022. Seems to me things are going as scheduled so far. Also, the height of WPS was projected to be 950ft. I believe the ~ 1100~ number started floating around after first seeing the version with the spire which was quickly yanked off of the original Wolf Point website once it was made light of.
I believe the original plans also had WPS being built before WPE, so we'll see how things are scheduled now.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 9:29 PM

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 9:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ nice find!

the south tower is now giving off a "glassy 30 rock" vibe.

i'm glad to see that they aren't going back to the shampoo bottle massing of the placeholder design.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 9:37 PM
Ascension

Very nice. The WPS is giving me a slight 300 N. Lasalle vibe.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 9:48 PM
Biased in a good way?

Hmmm, the crown of WPE doesn't seem to be cohesive with the other two - it looks like a literal crown in that one. Also, South now appears like a book inside a shorter book inside a shorter book. It now pairs better with West, but I think it's lost some personality.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Very nice.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:03 PM

I like either previous two designs more for the wps. That said anyone take a gander on the height looks alot more than 950' to me

Old Posted Oct 3, 2016, 10:06 PM
MPLSXCHI

I like this design best, it delivers a nice anchor the the split of the river. I'd like a different view though everything we've seen has been from the front.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive