HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:35 PM
Pay it Forward

Top 50 US Metro Areas by Electric Vehicle Registrations

I believe this data is from 2020, since then EV sales have soared all over the country...

Top 50 Metro Areas by Electric Vehicle Registrations:
1 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim 230,940
2 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley 122,404
3 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara 73,810
4 New York-Newark-Jersey City 70,943
5 San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad 51,616

6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria 43,183
7 Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler 42,049
8 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue 41,755
9 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario 40,232
10 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta 36,051

11 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin 32,775
12 Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom 27,937
13 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro 27,525
14 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach 26,943
15 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington 18,769

16 Denver-Aurora-Lakewood 17,648
17 Detroit-Warren-Dearborn 16,910
18 Minneapolis-St Paul-Bloomington 15,736
19 Boston-Cambridge-Newton 15,511
20 Las Vegas-Henderson-Paradise 14,304

21 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura 13,080
22 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington 12,842
23 Baltimore-Columbia-Towson 12,568
24 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk 11,724
25 Honolulu 10,539

26 Tampa-St Petersburg-Clearwater 10,401
27 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford 9,923
28 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land 8,082
29 Salt Lake City 7,822
30 Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown 7,582

31 Tucson 7,353
32 Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown 7,242
33 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia 6,858
34 St Louis 6,661
35 Raleigh-Cary 6,565

36 Nashville-Franklin-Murfreesboro 6,146
37 Columbus(OH) 6,093
38 Stockton 5,918
39 Fresno 5,481
40 Cincinnati 5,368

41 Pittsburgh 4,744
42 New Haven-Milford 4,675
43 Cleveland-Elyria 4,304
44 Ogden-Clearfield 4,289
45 Rochester(NY) 4,151

46 Jacksonville 4,064
47 Kansas City 4,040
48 Provo-Orem 3,876
49 Albany Schenectady-Troy 3,853
50 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson 3,712

report and ranking here:
https://www.storagecafe.com/blog/bes...electric-cars/

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:53 PM
BANNED

What are we going to do with EV batteries in 5-10 years when they deteriorate. I have power tools that batteries deteriorate after “x” amount of time, and m18 batteries are the best available out. If my $500 12ah battery starts failing from the elements, how long til EV cars batteries start piling up in scrap yards, and then we’re back at a environmental hazard.

We should stop pushing cars and push public transportation 10x

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post
What are we going to do with EV batteries in 5-10 years when they deteriorate. I have power tools that batteries deteriorate after “x” amount of time, and m18 batteries are the best available out. If my $500 12ah battery starts failing from the elements, how long til EV cars batteries start piling up in scrap yards, and then we’re back at a environmental hazard.

1. Immediately with the misconception that an EV car battery is comparable to a handheld power tool.

2. We won't do anything. Because any EV from a quality, well known brand won't deteriorate in 5-10 years.

3. Yes the US does need a lot more public transportation, and to upgrade its existing stuff. But you are delusional if you think cars are going away.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 2:59 PM

Yeah, I'm pro EV shift, but worry that people are missing that EV is just a marginal improvement, and all the negative externalities of private autos remain. We still need to massively shift funding/resources to transit, rideshare and alternate forms of mobility.

Not shocking that CA dominates. Even today, EVs just aren't that common in most of the country. Of course you see Teslas everyday in a major metro, but they aren't like Accords and Camrys used to be, except in Coastal CA.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yeah, I'm pro EV shift, but worry that people are missing that EV is just a marginal improvement, and all the negative externalities of private autos remain.

Not shocking that CA dominates. Even today, EVs just aren't that common in most of the country. Of course you see Teslas everyday in a major metro, but they aren't like Accords and Camrys used to be, except in Coastal CA.

Which is interesting, because in my small town in the middle US of roughly 40- 50k I've actually seen quite a few teslas around. Maybe it's just me noticing them because they're more noticeable than other cars? Maybe it's the lack of a grill

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC123 View Post
Which is interesting, because in my small town in the middle US of roughly 40- 50k I've actually seen quite a few teslas around. Maybe it's just me noticing them because they're more noticeable than other cars? Maybe it's the lack of a grill
Yeah, you now see Teslas everywhere except for the boonies, I just mean they aren't so ubiquitous that they blend in, like a Ford Escape in Michigan, or a Subaru Outback in Vermont. It isn't every other soccer mom in the parking lot.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:09 PM
Back on the road again

I supppose Atlanta is well represented at 10. That number seems low, although the data is from 2020. I see tons of EVs in in-town Atlanta. Some of my friends have them now.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:26 PM
你的媽媽

I wonder how this list compares to overall new vehicle registrations (both ICE and EV).

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:30 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I wonder how this list compares to overall new vehicle registrations (both ICE and EV).
Well, here is something I found at sfgate...at least as far as CA is concerned.

Top 5 New Vehicle Registrations in California, Through June 2022:
1 Tesla Model Y 42,030
2 Tesla Model 3 38,993
3 Toyota RAV4 31,599
4 Toyota Camry 28,745
5 Toyota Corolla 22,391

Source: California New Car Dealers Association

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...a-17363180.php

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:31 PM

The Riverside/San Bernardino metro has more electric vehicles than Chicago? Crazy.

I don’t think many Californians are aware of how far ahead the state is compared with the rest of the country.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyguy215 View Post

First off, EV batteries are lasting longer than 5-10 years. They outlast the vehicles, still having over half of their useable charge after 15 years of use. Used batteries are already in use for energy storage at solar and wind farms.

Second, startup LI battery recycling companies are sprouting all over the place to isolate the metals that can be used in new batteries, reducing the costs involved in production to lessen the impacts of mining.

Third, I agree that we should be pushing MUCH greater investment in public transportation.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
The Riverside/San Bernardino metro has more electric vehicles than Chicago? Crazy.

I don’t think many Californians are aware of how far ahead the state is compared with the rest of the country.
Necessity is the mother of invention.

California, as I'm sure you're aware, is unfortunately blessed with all the best ingredients for terrible air quality.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:45 PM

Also, Coastal CA has moderate weather and had deep EV incentives before the rest of the country. A few years ago, Teslas could barely operate in cold weather. Now they appear to be fine, though I'd still probably worry in polar vortex conditions.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Also, Coastal CA has moderate weather and had deep EV incentives before the rest of the country. A few years ago, Teslas could barely operate in cold weather. Now they appear to be fine, though I'd still probably worry in polar vortex conditions.
Local Tesla owners where I live report that winter range is still little more than 1/2 the range of summer, based on actual use. That's a big deal for some people who drive long distances.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention.

California, as I'm sure you're aware, is unfortunately blessed with all the best ingredients for terrible air quality.
Except the air quality is now significantly cleaner than it use to be.

We have an electric vehicle, and we received a state tax rebate for a significant amount. Now we’re going to get another from the federal government.

So the air quality of the past, the wealth of California, and the tax incentives, all contribute to California being far ahead of the rest of the country. Yes, the tax incentives contribute a lot. So we can use that to see how the federal government’s plan will help us see an increase in EV’s.

All I can say is, “thank god.”

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 4:59 PM

Houston and Dallas are the 2 outliers considering the total number of cars that exist overall in those metros.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 5:03 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
Houston and Dallas are the 2 outliers considering the total number of cars that exist overall in those metros.
Agreed. Boston seems to be low too but that's likely more due to the fact it's less auto dependent than some of the other top US metros. For cities as autocentric as Houston and Dallas, EV uptake relative to ICE cars seems quite low. I wonder if that has changed in the last 2 years.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 6:30 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Yeah, you now see Teslas everywhere except for the boonies, I just mean they aren't so ubiquitous that they blend in, like a Ford Escape in Michigan, or a Subaru Outback in Vermont. It isn't every other soccer mom in the parking lot.
People have them up here (boonie certified) too, but it might just be bay area/sac folks visiting Airbnb's.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
Except the air quality is now significantly cleaner than it use to be.

We have an electric vehicle, and we received a state tax rebate for a significant amount. Now we’re going to get another from the federal government.

So the air quality of the past, the wealth of California, and the tax incentives, all contribute to California being far ahead of the rest of the country. Yes, the tax incentives contribute a lot. So we can use that to see how the federal government’s plan will help us see an increase in EV’s.

All I can say is, “thank god.”
Oh yeah, definitely. There is no question that California is the national leader in energy efficiency/energy technology/GHG reduction deployment initiatives. NY is doing really well and a relatively close second, and MA and MD are making big strides, but most of the states are a decade or more (much more in sadly too many cases) behind CA in this area.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Oh yeah, definitely. There is no question that California is the national leader in energy efficiency/energy technology/GHG reduction deployment initiatives. NY is doing really well and a relatively close second, and MA and MD are making big strides, but most of the states are a decade or more (much more in sadly too many cases) behind CA in this area.
I was in Orange County this past spring and swear there were more EV's than gas cars, at least driving around Laguna Beach

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions