HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:24 PM

I’m so glad she’s my councillor she better not be going anywhere for atleast the next decade.

Unless she runs for mayor of course.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
It certainly does. The issue is that it will be made for more than two people to live in it, so the whole neighbourhood is up in arms.
Heaven forbid there will be 10-20 people driving their BMW's into the parkade.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:32 PM

There does seem to be a pattern of community committees voting to appease the local NIMBYs who could affect the re-election chances of their members, and then having the decision reversed by whoever hears the matter next. Someone like Janice Lukes isn't worried about the Crescentwood NIMBY crew so she can actually do what's right for the city... but what is her track record on matters in front of her own community committee?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:38 PM

Personally I never liked Janice Lukes. Much better than the Bronuts over here.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There does seem to be a pattern of community committees voting to appease the local NIMBYs who could affect the re-election chances of their members, and then having the decision reversed by whoever hears the matter next. Someone like Janice Lukes isn't worried about the Crescentwood NIMBY crew so she can actually do what's right for the city... but what is her track record on matters in front of her own community committee?
Since most of the development is new there isn’t a lot of opposition to development in the area. I’m sure once the area matures a bit and rezonings will take shape then things will be different.

Although there was that 1 development next to the Rapid Transit station that NIMBYs in Waverley Heights went crazy about it was still approved at the community committee level with just a downsize of the 10 storey building to an 8 storey one.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 4:24 PM

I knew Skene and her ilk were going to eat shit in the end. The city needs infill and they damn well know we’re broke in the long run without it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I feel like they're just shoddy LED's in the cold.
They were doing it before it got cold. Hydro has already said they'll be fixing them.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 2:24 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
this is bang on....its the absolute stupidity of the community committee system. It was of course Orkilow's plan all along...he has to go door to door and ask people for their votes in 10 months. How could he do what's right for the city if it makes the people he needs to vote for him angry in the process. Local councilors should not be put in that position.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2022, 4:57 AM
I am the law!

Bad marketing.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:19 PM

Does anyone know what ever happened to this proposal for the St. Mary's cathedral?

I'm guessing Covid probably killed it because I haven't heard anything since 2017, but it would be good to know if someone has more info on the matter.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:30 PM

I think they were just dreaming.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 10:58 PM

At this point they should just pivot and do what all the other churches are doing, and use their spare land to develop mixed-use apartment buildings for an income stream. Church membership has fallen off a cliff, and so has donation numbers. It would make no sense for the church to build anything that wasn’t revenue-generating these days. If I recall this original proposal was simply an office building to amalgamate all their local headquarter operations.

They could probably afford to build a really nice 20-storey or more mixed use on that spot.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:39 PM

There's a church on Kimberley at Golspie. I drive by regularly. They tried to develop their large lot into condos and I don't think anything came of it after numerous years.

The synagogue my wife briefly worked at sold their land for development.

My former church is still hanging on to their land, and underwent a church expansion in the recent past. They're actually doing not bad member wise.

The key is trying to get the money to finance such a large development. Maybe the arch-diocese has the capability to do so. But most church's are run shoe string by members and don't have the capabilities to figure that out unless they have a savvy member.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2022, 11:47 PM

Yeah the example that comes to my mind foremost is the church at Broadway and Osborne that built that big slick building recently. Not sure how that was all structured. I probably just assume that churches with prominent buildings like this one have access to loans or other funds through the church at large. I don’t really know anything about it though.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
There's a church on Kimberley at Golspie. I drive by regularly. They tried to develop their large lot into condos and I don't think anything came of it after numerous years.
That church is Immanuel United and the company they sold their land to has just put up construction fencing and was clearing the land.

You are right that the first attempt to develop that land failed. This is a new development that apparently is one apartment building instead of 3 townhouses

The land that is being developed is land that the actual church was suppose to be build on. The building on Golspie is actually the church hall. From what I remember my parents telling me when they went there, there was not enough money for the church so the decision was made to bulid the all and the church would follow later.
There was never enough money raised to build so the decision was made to sell the land to maintain the existing building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 1:54 AM

I recall there was some discussion about that Archdiocese of Winnipeg proposal when it was first floated, but it doesn't seem that there has been any movement on it at all. I liked it, it's too bad it hasn't happened yet. But that would be quite an ambitious project.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
That church is Immanuel United and the company they sold their land to has just put up construction fencing and was clearing the land.

You are right that the first attempt to develop that land failed. This is a new development that apparently is one apartment building instead of 3 townhouses

The land that is being developed is land that the actual church was suppose to be build on. The building on Golspie is actually the church hall. From what I remember my parents telling me when they went there, there was not enough money for the church so the decision was made to bulid the all and the church would follow later.
There was never enough money raised to build so the decision was made to sell the land to maintain the existing building.

Neat, thanks for sharing that info

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Yea the development got approved on the January 4 meeting to be a 4 storey 32 unit building with 49 parking stalls (9 to be shared with the church)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 3:18 PM

Speaking of church-related projects, I noticed that the old St. Peter's Church on Keewatin is on the market, it's priced at $3,750,000 IIRC mainly for the land value as it's a reasonably substantial parcel. I don't think anyone will want the building, it's a pretty tired and uninspired looking 70s era structure (the church moved out to a new site on Inkster).

They're pitching it as a multifamily site which is interesting as I don't think there has been any new multifamily in that area since probably the early 80s, although there has been a fair bit lately north of Inkster. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:01 PM

Church at Lanark and Academy is for sale.. sign out front says "zoned for medium density." Could be a good addition to the street wall if redeveloped right for that stretch. Also, there's a church for sale at Tache and Eugenie.. that could be transformative for that street but probably not cause it's St. Boniface.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan