HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:58 PM

Cool CHICAGO | Optima Phase II | 588 FT | 57 FLOORS

57 Floors
200 Room Hotel
400 Apartments
60,000 SF Retail

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Apr 26, 2016 at 2:01 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:05 PM

I accidentally hit shift+enter or something while editing this new thread and it submitted before I was done editing the title. Should say ~600' | 57 Floors. Can a mod add that please?

Anyhow, this is under construction:

Unloading a cassion rig. Was pretty impressive seeing this thing drive off the trailer.

Rebar cages and crane. It looked like one rig was already on site and drilling while they were unloading a second. Michaels is the contractor which is interesting since they are also the contractor over on McClurg. Going from no jobs in Chicago to two jobs over night. I guess there is enough demand in the market for another contractor to jump in.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:06 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the info we have on this one in the boom rundown thread says it's ~560' and 55 floors, so i edited the title with that.

but if you (or anyone else) have better, more reliable height info, let us know.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Oct 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:09 PM

I heard 57 floors, but that could be confusion due to the multi level streets. I hadn't heard an exact height figure before.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:21 PM
The City

We still don't have a hotel operator yet?

Also, 60k sf of retail is quite impressive. I'm guessing it's mostly going to be on the north side of the building, no?

Can somebody post the floor schematics (if they are available)?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:16 PM

Emporis has it at 57fl and ~659.79 ft.

Emporis Optima II

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:24 PM

Penthouse Roof = 600.83', but the ground floor (on Grand Ave.) is +13.42', so using maths, I get 587.42' total height. Also, there are 57 levels and no hotel. There will be a bunch of "office suites" up to level 2.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:25 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ thanks for the height info, chris.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:44 PM

Nice, so this will be a hair taller than 435 N Park, yet significantly skinnier. That will make for a nice, slender, tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
We still don't have a hotel operator yet?

Also, 60k sf of retail is quite impressive. I'm guessing it's mostly going to be on the north side of the building, no?

Can somebody post the floor schematics (if they are available)?
I bet a big chunk of the retail is going to be along the plaza like I was predicting months ago. I see another opportunity for a Howell's and Hood quality restaurant with outdoor space here. Maybe we'll get a restaurant on one side and a cafe on the other. Streeterville is going to need more retail space with the density they are adding right now. All of these towers are going up within a 3 block radius:

- NW Outpaitent Center
- RIC Tower
- 435 N Park
- Optima II
- 545 N McClurg

Then there is the heinous RAMS proposal on top of all of that. I think that Streeterville will eventually hit a critical mass where it will go from sleepy to bustling overnight and I think these 5 towers already under construction might be enough to do that. I mean we are talking about what? 1500 residential units, a few hundred hotel rooms, and two huge employment centers. It's amazing how quickly Streeterville and LSE have changed from an industrial wasteland to one of the densest highrise neighborhoods in the world:

http://www.okrentassociates.com/imag...r/slide1a.html

The first was taken in 1989, the second was taken in 2007. I have a feeling Cabrini and River North is about to have the same thing happen to it.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:15 PM
The City

^ Agreed on all points (don't forget the rehab of the River East building into a few hundred apts), it's amazing looking at those pics: Streeterville was just a complete wasteland back in 1989.

Wait, so just to clarify: the hotel is out of the picture? So the entire space of the hotel is being replaced by office? Chris, can you clarify? Thanks

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:44 PM
BANNED

This one is gonna look great next to its chubby sister. I'm withholding complaints about height because I think that's coming down the pike with condos. [prayer]

More: I can't wait to see these all these towers coming out of the ground next summer. It's gonna be spectacular to watch.

Last edited by Notyrview; Oct 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM. Reason: excitement

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Agreed on all points, it's amazing looking at those pics: Streeterville was just a complete wasteland back in 1989.

Wait, so just to clarify: the hotel is out of the picture? So the entire space of the hotel is being replaced by office? Chris, can you clarify? Thanks

Sure! The hotel is gone from the project 100%, being replaced with residential units. There will be retail on the Grand and Illinois sides, with outdoor space on Illinois. The office suites will be on levels B1, 1, 1 mezz and 7. Parking is 2 to 6, and residential/amenity above that.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:35 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
Sure! The hotel is gone from the project 100%, being replaced with residential units. There will be retail on the Grand and Illinois sides, with outdoor space on Illinois. The office suites will be on levels B1, 1, 1 mezz and 7. Parking is 2 to 6, and residential/amenity above that.
Any idea what the total # of apts will be? Also, I have a funny hunch that they are going to have some condos in this building. Could this be correct?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 7:22 PM
TL;DR

Doesn't seem like a lot of office. Seems more like Optima wants to move some or all of their own offices to Chicago from downtown Glencoe. Like any other employer, I'm sure they are having trouble recruiting in their current location - especially for the financial and architectural sides of the business. Plus, downtown has better airport access and they do work in other cities.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Doesn't seem like a lot of office. Seems more like Optima wants to move some or all of their own offices to Chicago from downtown Glencoe. Like any other employer, I'm sure they are having trouble recruiting in their current location - especially for the financial and architectural sides of the business. Plus, downtown has better airport access and they do work in other cities.
Correction: They are labeled "Business Suites." There are about 70 units, most under 500 sqft.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:52 AM

Optima 2

Walked by Optima 2. The good news is that I saw a support crane (lifting crane), two or three fully tied caisson cages ready to go, a bunch of straight bar on a tieing table (tomorrow's work!), and a slew of drill bits in one corner. They also have caisson liners staged on the roof of the parking structure that is closer to Illinois street. I didn't see a Drill Rig just yet, so I don't know if there are any caissons in the ground (maybe there are and the drill rig is being kept off site over night?).

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:00 AM

^^^ They only have the big yellow ones on crawlers, not the crane mounted ones. Look at my post above that shows them delivering the second of two rigs to the site.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ They only have the big yellow ones on crawlers, not the crane mounted ones. Look at my post above that shows them delivering the second of two rigs to the site.
Hmm...dunno. I see your pic from 545 North McClurg...but I don't see one from Optima 2 site. Maybe I am looking at the wrong threads? About an hour ago I only saw a support crane and some caisson cages. Still a good sign!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:18 AM

^^^ From the Optima thread:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ From the Optima thread:
There's an Optima Thready?!? I usally just pull up the Chicago P&C page and i don't see the thread there. Is there someplace else I can get to it before it maybe be moved to P&C?

I ran down a snapped a pic...it is pretty bad, since it is so dark, but you can see a white crane that is not a drill rig. The tied cages are in the lower right hand corner. A bunch of drill bits are piled towards the bottom int he center, infront of the "yet to be demolished or built over" ramp for the dominicks/whole foods parking.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive