HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
That makes sense. Whats the 12 commandments of SSP?
1) Thou shalt not mention the ACC...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 8:33 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
1) Thou shalt not mention the ACC...

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 8:39 PM

Throwing this here! I started a project like a year ago, trying to map development in Philly, since I am a visual learner and like maps. This is purely for fun, but am happy to share if anyone gets any use out of it!

I worked on it a bunch this week, but still have a ton to go - there is a metric **** ton of stuff going on in Philadelphia lol.

I plan to keep this updated as new things are proposed in the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...jv&usp=sharing

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 9:08 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Throwing this here! I started a project like a year ago, trying to map development in Philly, since I am a visual learner and like maps. This is purely for fun, but am happy to share if anyone gets any use out of it!

I worked on it a bunch this week, but still have a ton to go - there is a metric **** ton of stuff going on in Philadelphia lol.

I plan to keep this updated as new things are proposed in the city.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...jv&usp=sharing
We got some talented folks here.

Could I give some feedback?

Can you add developments Post 2010 till now to show the amount of projects that have been in action since, that would give an even bigger picture of how much the city has grown since.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2022, 9:43 PM

Quote:
We got some talented folks here.

Could I give some feedback?

Can you add developments Post 2010 till now to show the amount of projects that have been in action since, that would give an even bigger picture of how much the city has grown since.
Absolutely down for feedback! I think that's a great idea. Once I get caught up with current construction/proposals, I can work on that. I have all high-rises done, but believe it or not, I'm only back to like April 2022 for low-rises. The development going on is insane.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Rules are rules. Nothing below 12 stories.
Someone make a Philly architecture, urbanism, and development forum without stupid rules, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Absolutely down for feedback!
This is good stuff. Would be cool if the architect and developer names were links, but it looks like you already have your hands full.

(Oh, and 3151 Market is Gensler, not SHoP. SHoP just did the SY master plan.)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, The change in brick color is a fine compromise, but I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...

Site in question for those unsure, third building from the corner... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i16384!8i8192

10-story condo building proposed amid townhouses on Walnut Street

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220727.html

As residential real estate interest in Center City Philadelphia continues unabated, developers are looking for ways to add density in the midst of streets lined with historic townhouses.

Despite a crown of skyscrapers and a smattering of high-rise apartment buildings, most of Center City’s housing stock is still rowhouses. They may be taller and wider than their counterparts in Kensington or South Philadelphia, but they are consistent with the design/look/architecture in the rest of the city.

Now developers are trying to add density to this historic streetscape, within the confines of narrow rowhouse lots.

“Center City has become very popular, very desirable, and we are getting a lot of people coming in from New York and other places,” said Sergio Coscia, principal with the CosciaMoos architecture firm in Philadelphia. “There’s a market for a product that’s not typically Philadelphia, that’s more sophisticated.”

Coscia’s firm is trying to convince the Philadelphia Historical Commission to allow the construction of his firm’s design for a 10-story, 29-condo building at 2204 Walnut St. The adjacent buildings are slightly less than half the size, although there are other tall multifamily buildings on immediate blocks around the site.
The development, from Cal Leslie’s Flamingo Bay Investments, fits the zoning for the parcel and will not need a variance. But it lies within the Rittenhouse-Fitler Historic District, so plans must be approved by the city’s historical commission.

At a May meeting, the commission approved the demolition of the vacant four-story building on the site but voted against CosciaMoos’ design proposal. Members argued that it was too tall and that the white facade did not fit with the “muted earth tones” that dominate the neighborhood’s historic buildings.
Coscia and his team have since made some tweaks, principally to the color of the bricks, without compromising on the size or density of the proposal. They will appear before the historical commission again next month but first suffered criticism from the commission’s advisory architectural committee for not reducing the structure’s size.

“You are more than doubling the height of this existing block,” committee member Amy Stein said at a July 26 meeting. “I think the height overwhelms the other buildings in this district. … it seems too tall, and it’s not sympathetic to the historic context.”

Coscia contends that the relevant comparison should not be the broader historic district but the 2200 block of Walnut itself. The nine-story Roosevelt Apartments building sits at the west end of the block and the 11-story Walnut Plaza condominiums are kitty-corner to the site. Facing the proposed condo tower is a suburban-scale Sunoco gas station.

“I don’t think it’s out of scale,” Coscia said. “Look across the street at the gas station, why don’t you do something about that? That’s what’s killing the pedestrian experience. We’re trying to improve it.”
Coscia argues that more density needs to be added to this part of Center City, especially if retail offerings are to be sustainable. The proposed building at 2204 Walnut includes 1,175 square feet of retail, which Coscia hopes will end up as an art gallery.

While leasing on the core commercial corridors of Walnut and Chestnut is strengthening, Coscia notes that on the margins of downtown, the COVID-19 era retail rebound is struggling.

“If you don’t allow more density, retail is not going to work,” Coscia said. “Buildings further into Center City are having a hard time leasing spaces because there’s not enough people to support small businesses.”

Much of the new residential supply coming online in Center City will be contained in major new developments such as the 253-unit Laurel on Rittenhouse Square. But there has also been a trend toward smaller projects arising in the midst of historic residential rows. Other recent examples include the six-story multifamily building at 262 N. 16th St., next to Monk’s Cafe, or the 10-unit condo building at 2110 Walnut.

The Historical Commission will consider the revised 2204 Walnut St. proposal at 9 a.m. Aug. 12.
This is a superb project. The Historical Commission's complaint that it's "too tall" is absolute asinine. There's numerous buildings around this at the same or similar heights and it's WALNUT STREET for crying out loud. I bet you the neighbors behind this on Saint James Place are kicking and whining and screaming.

I mean... look at this... does this seem out of place?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2022, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you, ill have some more heat this week!

I meant to do that last night. Ill update these & do it for future posts as well.

I really think for projects of a certain size that dont hit the height limit requirement for a thread should still get one due to it the project being large in width & size compared to height.

@Mcgrath @Summers what do you guys think?
I'm working on a Philadelphia sub-forum where we can create whatever threads we want for whatever projects.

There's some issues though that I need to talk about with McGrath first. Hopefully more to come

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:03 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I'm working on a Philadelphia sub-forum where we can create whatever threads we want for whatever projects.

There's some issues though that I need to talk about with McGrath first. Hopefully more to come
Yes! We really need it because there's no reason why projects that are 10 floors or 8 and wide shouldn't get a thread, the only projects I think that don't need their own separate thread is a single row home or small warehouse projects.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:05 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Yes, Its taller then the Sunoco across the street which is a No No.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Yes, Its taller then the Sunoco across the street which is a No No.
Oh, well... shame on me then haha

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:08 AM

BG Capital and FreezPak Logistics to develop $85M cold storage facility in Philadelphia

Quote:
BG Capital in partnership with FreezPak Logistics plans to develop a new $85 million cold storage facility in the Port Richmond neighborhood of Philadelphia as part of a broader, $1 billion effort to build a network of cold storage distribution centers across the country.

Construction of the Port Richmond building is expected to get underway next month on a 7-acre site at 2201 E. Allegheny Ave. It will total 170,117 square feet and have a building height of 75 feet. Once completed, FreezPak will lease the building on a long-term basis.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-freezpak.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:10 AM

Impact Museums, partner in the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit, leases space in Center City

Quote:
A joint venture that brings the popular Immersive Van Gogh exhibit to cities across the country has signed a lease on 32,000 square feet in a Center City office building to provide a rotation of similar programming on permanent basis.

Lighthouse Immersive and Impact Museums signed a long-term lease on the space at the Washington at 510-530 Walnut St. The space, which has a bank vault in it, had been vacant for nearly 10 years after what had been Beneficial Bank relocated out of the building. While it has been a difficult space to lease to traditional office tenants, it worked for Impact Museums.

“The challenge was identifying a building that had blocks of space that could accommodate the gallery and had 25-foot ceiling heights,” said Greg Soffian, a broker with Savills who represented the Impact Museums.

Impact Museums wanted to stay within city limits, and, in addition to expansive ceiling heights, needed between 25,000 and 35,000 square feet. The search for a location took it to explore buildings in Fishtown, Broad Street, Walnut Street and the Art Museum area. The space at the Washington ended up working best.

“While the Washington doesn’t have it today, there is a mezzanine that is coming out and will allow for 26-foot ceilings,” Soffian said. The vault is being incorporated into the design. L2P is the architect designing the space.

Impact Museums, which is headquartered in Los Angeles, and Toronto-based Lighthouse Immersive have been expanding into cities across the country.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-van-gogh.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 12:38 PM
Chris

Popular makeup store opening on Walnut Street.

Glossier is opening a retail location in Philly
https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20220728.html

The makeup brand’s Philly store will open at 1716 Walnut St., nestled between other millennial favorite brands Madewell and Lululemon. Philadelphia Magazine first reported the store’s location.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 2:01 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworld View Post

545 n broad. tan stone going in on the ground level
Nope. Unfortunately, it's brick and it's yellower than it looks in the photo. The material colors in the renderings worked better. Not loving the actual result, but I'm trying to hold off on being disappointed until it's finished.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 2:15 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
I haven't been in town for a while... ah... quite a while. What's going on here?

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:

Also, isn't that short building in the middle now a 6 story unfinished building? There's some project on that block that seems to have stalled.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:02 PM

Quote:

RonPaul.gif

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I haven't been in town for a while... ah... quite a while. What's going on here?
Massive mixed-use development:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/12/perm...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Jul 30, 2022, 6:37 PM

Industry Lofts to Bring 178 Hilltop Apartments to Roxborough

Current view of the site:

Site plans:

Quote:
We’ve mentioned this perhaps a few times before, but the Roxborough neighborhood has recently found itself to be quite the development hotbed. Let’s add 5001 Umbria St. to the list of properties that are undergoing big transformations. For many years, Mel’s Kitchen and Catering made their home here in a low-rise building that sits across Umbria from several industrial properties. As we’ve seen so often recently, a demolition permit was filed and the building that used to stand here is no more.

Developers Baker Street Partners recently combined lots and are proposing quite the change to this industrial zoned lot. This property wraps around the existing commercial buildings on the west side of the property on Paoli Ave. as it climbs a very steep grade. After a zoning variance was granted, developers cleared the site. Expect to see 178 units across two buildings – the five-story Umbria building and the six-story Paoli building. These two structures will almost sit on top of one another due to the hilly topography, but a staircase will be included to help with pedestrian access to and from the upper building. 114 car spaces will be included across the two buildings...
Read/view more here:
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...-to-roxborough

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development