HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:50 PM
Registered Ugly

Totally speculation here since an official rendering hasn't been released, but it sort of looks like each setback as well as the roof has an architectural crown of at least 10 feet at the top. It's clearest at the lowest setback. Would these count toward height? Could we be looking at something more like 922'? This would bring it to the 11th tallest in the US outside of New York or Chicago.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 4:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i think it's way too early to try to pin any exact figures on this one.

once it's properly designed, maybe it ends up with a structural height of only 876', or possibly as high as 943'.

the intent to build a really tall building here is clear, but until we get more detailed info, that 912' figure is only a rough target.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
BTW, it just needs to be clarified that the 60-foot width is only in the case that a building uses it's entire lot. What I'm still not clear on is if these two structurally seperate buildings are considered one building for this requirement due to the skybridge that was added, or because they are both on a single lot? That is to say whether the width requirement is attached to the buildings or the lot. If the latter, short of the variance, they could also simply do a lot split, leave the passageway between the two buildings on either of the lots, and then simply build as tall as they would want.
If the whole lot isn't used then whatever is unused in the horizontal cubical volume can be applied toward the height. A building can be whatever which shape and size so as long as it doesn't exceed the cubical volume limit of the lot it's built on. Whatever is above that cubical limit has to adhere to the 60-foot width rule.

This pretty much allows for fat and short buildings or tall and skinny ones on lots of the same square footage. But you can't have a fat tall building unless it's built on a sufficiently large enough lot.

They would only be able to build as tall as they want if they got rid of the podium block altogether without splitting the lot. However, in that situation, instead of leaving it as inefficient open space, it would likely be replaced with a big parking garage which aren't counted toward the volume of a building or buildings. Which I'm sure everyone would just love.

Also the buildings share a basement and are on the same lot but they are considered multiple structures. However, it's much more important on how much volume of space those structures occupy in relation to the cubical limit.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 9:51 PM

So Bedrock and Mindfield developed an app to view the Hudson's Tower and the Monroe Blocks to give an AR view of the projects. The app has been out since May but this is the first time a demo of it has been shown ASFAIK.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:04 PM
Registered Ugly

I saw that just today. It's really strange how much resources are going into the presentation of this proposal yet we lack so much factual information.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:52 PM

Well, it's an iconic site for the city and I think most people are just happy to see something getting rebuilt there. It really is seen as a new chapter in the city's history. Speaking of which, today marks the 20th anniversary of the demolition of the original Hudson's building. If Gilbert wanted to release any new info, today would have been a pretty good day to mark the occasion.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...39bPzyBHUoJt9g

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:39 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
They would only be able to build as tall as they want if they got rid of the podium block altogether without splitting the lot.
Yes, that's what I was getting at. You could get around this cubical requirement - which I still don't get why 60 feet is chosen for the dimensions of towers; it seems way too small - with lot splits. You could, say, split the Hudson site into three lots, and build three different towers if a developer would want to by simply leaving small parts of the lot open for plazas/extended sidewalks and then build as tall as you'd like. Yeah, I see now that the cubical content is applied to the lot, which is why the Hudson Tower despite being a seperate building is out of conformity.

The reasoning behind cubical limits confounds me, though. It's not really for shadows, because the streets are so wide that the heights allowed already basically cover these streets during most of the day. It really discourages offices towers of a certain height, because the length and width restrictions would only really favor non-office floorplates, I'd guess.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Yes, that's what I was getting at. You could get around this cubical requirement - which I still don't get why 60 feet is chosen for the dimensions of towers; it seems way too small - with lot splits. You could, say, split the Hudson site into three lots, and build three different towers if a developer would want to by simply leaving small parts of the lot open for plazas/extended sidewalks and then build as tall as you'd like. Yeah, I see now that the cubical content is applied to the lot, which is why the Hudson Tower despite being a seperate building is out of conformity.

The reasoning behind cubical limits confounds me, though. It's not really for shadows, because the streets are so wide that the heights allowed already basically cover these streets during most of the day. It really discourages offices towers of a certain height, because the length and width restrictions would only really favor non-office floorplates, I'd guess.
There's a number of Detroit's older high rises are actually pretty wide. Some wider than they are tall. Buildings like First National and even the original Hudson's was pretty massive. I assume the was a concern that Detroit would become overrun with obnoxiously large buildings instead of elegantly thin skyscrapers. 60 feet is really too small, but it might be meant to influence design more than practicality.

The lot splitting still seems overly complex. It seems way easier to just merge lots so you can have a bigger cubical volume to work with.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 8:50 PM

DetroitYes is reporting steel being lowered into the pit? Certainly doesn't look like a new piece of steel. Or is it coming out of the pit?

From yesterday: https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...464#post558464

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 1:02 PM

New official renderings from SHoP:

Last edited by LMich; Oct 28, 2018 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 2:38 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ hot diggity dog!

Looks fantastic, what a spectacular development for the motor city!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 3:19 PM
Registered Ugly

So good:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 4:31 PM

The wording in the Crain's article that posted along with the new renderings make it sound as if this isn't the final height or design, but getting pretty close towards it. Though everything should be finalized by January.

But man, this is looking pretty clean and classy. Any adjustments at this point might be pretty minor and probably won't affect the construction timeline (I would assume).

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 5:36 PM
DENNAB

Awesome!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The wording in the Crain's article that posted along with the new renderings make it sound as if this isn't the final height or design, but getting pretty close towards it. Though everything should be finalized by January.

But man, this is looking pretty clean and classy. Any adjustments at this point might be pretty minor and probably won't affect the construction timeline (I would assume).
Agreed, Bedrocks official Facebook page lists the height as 912’ . I can’t imagine it going down otherwise they would never have mentioned the 912’ to begin with. Other than the upper observation levels and color of the building’s terra cotta what are some possible final design changes an architect could make?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 8:22 PM

Terra cotta can be seen on the base of the tower portion in these renderings, though it's rather hard to spot. I'm also pretty sure that that is terra cotta in the two solid bands around the mid-rise building. It might also be coating the mullions for all we know.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 9:17 PM

It looks welcoming at street level. I can even see a French tricolor flag on the screens of their renderings. That's nice.

I wish we had more of the same in high-rise districts over here, where the feet of towers look like stupid impregnable fortresses.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 9:32 PM

Amazing.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 10:16 PM
The Believer

Website has been updated as well.

https://www.hudsonssitedetroit.com/

Last edited by M. Brown; Oct 28, 2018 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Brown View Post
Website has been updated as well.

https://www.hudsonssitedetroit.com/

Looks like the observation level is no more unless it’s part of the hotel plan.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction