HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Hudson Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 8:27 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ if built to a height of 912', it would be the 13th tallest building in the nation of those built or currently U/C (excluding NYC and chicago).

including NYC and chicago, it would be the 48th tallest building in the nation.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 4:14 PM

Kayne West was in Detroit recently (for whatever reason) and took a tour with Dan Gilbert. One of the clips from his Twitter is of Bedrock's model of Detroit including the current planned proposals.

The model of the Hudson project looks like it's still scaled with the 800 FT height judging by eyeballing it relative to the Ren Cen. I still kinda wish it had a more interesting top since it's the tallest building around by a mile and looks kinda blocky for being so prominent.

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status...72084454309888

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
800+ footers built in 21st century (including U/C)
NYC: = 13 + 19 = 32
chicago: 4 + 4 = 8

for reference, here's how US cities stack up for 800+ footers built in the 20th century:
NYC: = 12 (includes the destroyed WTC twins)
chicago: 9
I love these statistics LOL! It's remarkable that in the 20th century Chicago was almost neck and neck with NYC. In fact, the two cities matched exactly in the first decade of the 21st century, each completing four 800+ footers between 2000 and 2010, and of course the tallest of these was in Chicago (Trump Hotel). NYC didn't begin to really leave Chicago in the dust until several years ago, starting with One57 and the WTC complex. Chicago hasn't built a single 800+ footer since 2010 when Legacy at Millennium Park opened. Thankfully this will change very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
One of the clips from his Twitter is of Bedrock's model of Detroit including the current planned proposals.
This really helps us visualize how this building will affect the skyline of Detroit. Detroit's skyline hasn't changed much for 25 years! IMO the Greektown hotel that opened in 2009 didn't have much of an impact.

Quote:
I still kinda wish it had a more interesting top since it's the tallest building around by a mile and looks kinda blocky for being so prominent.
The top looks a bit weird, at least in this model. But Boston's Prudential Tower, which has a somewhat similar top, looks fairly okay, so perhaps this future Detroit skyscraper won't look weird in real life.

Last edited by pianowizard; Oct 7, 2018 at 1:26 PM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
This really helps us visualize how this building will affect the skyline of Detroit. Detroit's skyline hasn't changed much for 25 years! IMO the Greektown hotel that opened in 2009 didn't have much of an impact.
Yea, it's also kind of removed from the core. Most of Detroit's highrises are clumped towards the northwest and west of Woodward. Greektown hotel is relatively out in left field since it's towards the northeast. Even if it was taller, it'd look kinda of singular. It only really 'fits in' when you're looking from directly east or from the southwest of the city.

Quote:

The top looks a bit weird, at least in this model. But Boston's Prudential Tower, which has a somewhat similar top, looks fairly okay, so perhaps this future Detroit skyscraper won't look weird in real life.
Yea, I guess. That also just made me think there's probably going to be an antenna on top as what usually happens with taller flat-top buildings so it won't look as weird.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I still kinda wish it had a more interesting top since it's the tallest building around by a mile and looks kinda blocky for being so prominent.
I agree with you 100% on this point. Really hoping the crown is redesigned to be more architecturally interesting!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 1:35 AM

What is the anticipated start date on this one? I know their site prep is basically done, which would tell me that unless they've already redesigned this building, it's likely to be under 900 feet.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
What is the anticipated start date on this one? I know their site prep is basically done, which would tell me that unless they've already redesigned this building, it's likely to be under 900 feet.
Demolition work is mostly complete and I think they might be getting ready to do foundation work if not already. So unless there's a major change or a redesign for the height, construction is expected to start before the end of 2018.

Edit: Actually, according to poster 48307 over at DetroitYes, this is what's left of the debris pile. The picture is from last week. Once this is cleared out then it's high time for foundation work to start. So a few weeks maybe? Certainly before it starts snowing.

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...truction/page8

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 1:27 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

I thought I posted it over here, but the more recent Free Press article (Friday, maybe) says that they will be filing for a foundation permit next months, so construction is likely to start next month. It's also already been confirmed by the representative that this will be over 800 feet; the only remaining question is just how much. I suspect they aren't going to redesign the core, so it will "only" be up to 912 feet if they are planning to start construction next month. As for the top, I suspect that's why it's never been fully designed. To be honest, I'm not going to complain about anything until they have the design nailed down.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
That also just made me think there's probably going to be an antenna on top as what usually happens with taller flat-top buildings so it won't look as weird.
Hopefully it will be a spire, not an antenna, because a spire would add to the official structural height while an antenna wouldn't. The best scenario would be a roof height of 912 ft, and a spire that reaches 984.3 ft (300 m) so this building is just tall enough to be a supertall. Dan Gilbert seems like an ambitious person who cares about bragging rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
According to https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...12-feet-height, "The maximum height of 912 feet was arrived at because that's the height the elevator cores as they are currently designed can support". Does this mean the foundation won't need to be redesigned to allow the height increase to 912 ft?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
According to https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...12-feet-height, "The maximum height of 912 feet was arrived at because that's the height the elevator cores as they are currently designed can support". Does this mean the foundation won't need to be redesigned to allow the height increase to 912 ft?
Seems like it. That means if the tower was any shorter than that, then they basically overbuilt the foundation to handle excess weight. Obviously if the foundation can handle the extra height, then why not go for it?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:26 PM
Registered Ugly

This project is Dan’s mid-life crisis Miata. He’ll get it to 1,000 ft.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
He'll need to keep it taller than any other developer who may want to join the Motown party.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 8:19 PM

Looking forward to new renders of the design changes.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 11:22 PM

Found better quality images of the 3D model.

The orange highlight all the properties owned by Bedrock.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2018/5/10...ne-near-future

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
It's also already been confirmed by the representative that this will be over 800 feet; the only remaining question is just how much.
I hope you are right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
He may also want to build tall to compensate for his modest height of 5 feet 6!

Quote:
Found better quality images of the 3D model. The orange highlight all the properties owned by Bedrock.
Excellent photos of the excellent model! What do you folks think of the location of this 800-to-912 footer? I kind of wish it were closer to the Detroit River so it's more visible from the river or Windsor, but its current location is not too bad either.

Last edited by pianowizard; Oct 9, 2018 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:31 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Hudson's site tower details revealed in city documents
Oct 9, 2018 at 1:56 PM by Kirk Pinho

Detroit's tallest building — and the state's — is expected to feature a stepping design in the heart of downtown as fresh details of Dan Gilbert's signature downtown development project are revealed in a new site plan obtained by Crain's.
Source: https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...city-documents

Last edited by subterranean; Oct 10, 2018 at 1:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:40 AM

It seems they've scrapped the box design.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...city-documents

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:44 AM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
"We look forward to announcing more details about the Hudson's site in the coming months," said Whitney Eichinger, vice president of communications for Bedrock, Tuesday evening.

The tower would feature elevations, from east to west, of 168 feet; 378 feet, 8 inches; 536 feet; 805 feet, 4 inches; 912 feet; 848 feet; and 706 feet, according to the site plan.

"The taller tower volume is placed on the south side of the site, along Gratiot, closer to the CBD (central business district)," the site plan says. "The tower massing steps down in scale from Woodward in deference to Library Square and the historical fabric to the east. The northern portion of the site is defined by the block volume, which transitions the site in scale toward Merchant's Row and the historical fabric north of East Grand River."

Work is expected to take four or five years; demolition on the underground parking garage previously on the site began in December and is largely complete. Foundation preparation work is underway.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...city-documents

The podium is also up to 14 floors now.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:08 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Wow!

This new massing looks very promising.

First impression: vaguely similar to NEMA tower currently U/C in chicago.

Great to see the 912' height figure more confirmed.

Can't wait to see more!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Wow!

This new massing looks very promising.

First impression: vaguely similar to NEMA tower currently U/C in chicago.

Great to see the 912' height figure more confirmed.

Can't wait to see more!
I was thinking it was like the weird love child of NEMA and OCS

I'm a sucker for these types of buildings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction