HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:57 PM

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 12:21 AM

Great design and location for Providence. Will contrast nicely with the other downtown buildings

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 3:52 PM

https://twitter.com/BLDUP/status/137...975168521?s=20

"Predevelopment Site Work Begins on Hope Point Tower
Geo-technical exploration and soil sampling is now underway on the Hope Point Tower construction site. Developer Jason Fane and The Fane Organization proposed a 46-story luxury high rise in Downcity Providence in 2016."

-bldup.com

Old Posted Apr 4, 2021, 1:47 AM

I kind of liked the old proposal only because it had three different towers, therefore increasing the density. The newer proposal isn't bad at all, but the only thing about the new proposal is the fact that it only has one tower to the old proposal's three. I'd love to see Providence rebound to it's old 1940 population high of 250k+ people and then some so Providence can be compared as a major city again.

It's my favorite New England city even over Boston. I don't know if the developer has plans to adding a couple more buildings in addition to the newer proposal, but either way, it's a win for Providence and RI.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:32 PM
The RI Webguy

https://turnto10.com/news/local/fane...-in-the-ground

We're still waiting for a supreme court ruling on the zoning waiver. If they rule in favor of the tower, we expect to have shovels in the ground next year.

Old Posted May 25, 2021, 2:42 PM
BANNED

I love Boston's little cousin, the great city of Providence. Hopefully, this will be built.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 2:56 AM

Why not just renovate the Industrial National Bank Building, which is a New England icon, in sore need of help (has been vacant for 8 years), and is absolutely stunning.

This whole project makes no sense.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 2:03 PM

^According to this Wikipedia article, "An estimate in 2016 was that it would take $115 million to rehabilitate the building". With inflation that corresponds to roughly $126 million today. That's half the cost to build this proposed 600-footer.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:08 PM
The RI Webguy

@Manitopiaaa There's nothing about this project that prevents any renovation of the Industrial Trust Tower. If anything, this may spark further development in the downtown area including a project on the Industrial Trust Tower.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:43 PM

I see the future of Industrial Trust being at least partially tied to the success of this project. Providence really needs to get more people with deeper pockets invested in the downtown area. Success here could spur further development, and make it more feasible to recoup the costs of rehabbing Industrial Trust.

I think we can all agree that saving Industrial Trust needs to be a major priority for Providence. It would be an absolute embarrassment at the highest level for them to have to tear down their tallest and most iconic building. Honestly, if that happened, it would go from my 2nd favorite city in New England (narrowly edging out Portland) to off my list altogether. I couldn't bear to see the city without this building on the skyline. That would be an irredeemable mistake.

With all this said, the only way to save this building is with MONEY. The city has not experienced the same level of success as Boston to the North, NYC to the Southwest, and even Portland which is much smaller. Even Rhode Island itself just lost the Pawtucket Red Sox to Worcester. The state/city need wins, need confidence, need people who actually care about the future and can contribute positively. The Hope Point Tower would bring in just those kinds of people. Providence is honestly amazing, but that's really in spite of itself. If more people had a stake in it, and saw what a great place it already is, let alone could become, then it will get the investments it needs for both preservation and expansion.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2021, 6:21 PM
Dryer lint inspector

The PawSox moved?

Yeah. I'd rather see money and resources go to redeveloping the Superman building as well; it's iconic and irreplaceable.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2021, 1:30 PM

Both projects should be feasible, that being the renovation of the Superman, and the new construction of Fane Tower. Both offer different opportunities and are in slightly different parts of the city. Fane offering mostly residential units with views to the river and the bay with 21 century architecture, and located in a new city district. Versus, the superman with its beautiful 20th century Art Deco architecture, in the middle of the financial district, can be more of a mixed-use renovation.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2021, 1:34 PM

Last edited by Rhody; Oct 13, 2021 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2022, 10:14 PM

Old Posted Jun 23, 2022, 7:26 PM

"After many months of litigation. The Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Fane Tower. Finally some big news.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — The Rhode Island Supreme Court has ruled in favor of the Fane Tower in a challenge to the proposed skyscraper’s soaring height brought by neighbors.

The unanimous decision paves the way for the state to complete the sale of the parcel of former 195 land in the Jewelry District to New York developer Jason Fane."..

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news...of-fane-tower/

Old Posted Jul 18, 2022, 1:34 AM
The RI Webguy

Fane moves forward on luxury tower, signs commitment letter

PROVIDENCE – The Fane tower developer has taken another step toward finalizing the long-delayed downtown luxury building. New York developer Jason Fane has signed a commitment letter, giving him seven months to finalize construction documents, select a contractor and secure final financing for the construction for the controversial project, said Jim Malachowski

https://pbn.com/fane-moves-forward-o...itment-letter/

Old Posted Dec 4, 2022, 2:48 PM
The RI Webguy

https://www.golocalprov.com/business...other-redesign

Same height, just with more units, less parking.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:07 PM

This redesign is much cleaner and cohesive throughout. Get the shovels in the ground.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2022, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Providence is a beautiful little city.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2022, 6:07 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals