HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwwolfe View Post
They remodeled it a couple of years and added LED lighting strips to the outside of it.
Thanks for info...looks pretty good actually

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 4:47 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
Thanks for info...looks pretty good actually
Looks nice at night with the LED accents.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 5:14 PM

Phoenix apartment pipeline heats up as demand outpaces supply

Quote:
Even with nearly 14,000 apartment units under construction in metro Phoenix, builders still can't keep up with demand.

According to research conducted by Kasten Long Commercial Group exclusively for the Phoenix Business Journal, metro Phoenix has 13,631 units within 54 projects under construction. Of those, 23 totaling 5,054 unites are within the city of Phoenix.

Jim Kasten, founder of Kasten Long Commercial Group, is forecasting 47 projects totaling 10,811 units completed during 2019, an increase of 32% from 2018.

Fueling that demand is the Valley's job and population growth, he said.

"With the overall population boom, the number of good-paying jobs and corporate expansions or relocations into the Valley, absorbing the new units will be easy," Kasten said.

Housing demand nationwide far exceeds supply, said Doug Ressler, manager of business intelligence at Santa Barbara, California-based Yardi Matrix.

"We see that in all 130 markets nationwide we deal with," he said. "Phoenix obviously needs more. The growing population for renters far exceeds the current capabilities right now."

A low market supply of single-family homes and a demographic shift toward more people seeking a "lock-and-leave" lifestyle is causing more demand for apartment rentals, Ressler said.

"We see Phoenix as being one of the most robust markets," Ressler said. "We see that continuing for a number of months. It is a very strong market right now."

More...
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:35 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
They are on the agenda for tomorrow night's Encanto VPC meeting. No new information in the packet, same staff report as for the previous meetings. Their plans did not include a high rise, just stick and stucco apartments surrounding surface parking.

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...PZ/Z-18-19.pdf
They did present last night. They showed some changes. The side facing Central will have architectural nods to the Phoenix Financial Center's punch card and rotunda buildings. A bodega (they referred to Luci's as an example) and 10 live/work spaces will face Central as well. In my opinion, while interesting, these were more or less cosmetic changes. They did not increase density or height, nor did they do anything about the surface parking. I voted against it. The committee voted 8-4 to recommend approval.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:39 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
They did present last night. They showed some changes. The side facing Central will have architectural nods to the Phoenix Financial Center's punch card and rotunda buildings. A bodega (they referred to Luci's as an example) and 10 live/work spaces will face Central as well. In my opinion, while interesting, these were more or less cosmetic changes. They did not increase density or height, nor did they do anything about the surface parking. I voted against it. The committee voted 8-4 to recommend approval.
This proposal is terrible and such a waste of a prime location. Maybe the Phoenix City Council will say otherwise.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:19 PM

Forum Site Shutting Down

From wikpedia: SkyscraperPage was an internet forum for skyscraper hobbyists and enthusiasts[3][4] that tracked existing and proposed skyscrapers around the world.[5] The site was shuttered September 2019 after over 20 years in operation. The site was owned by Skyscraper Source Media, a supplier of skyscraper diagrams for the publication, marketing, and display industries, and is a publisher of illustrated skyscraper diagram poster products.[6] SkyscraperPage.com drawings have appeared in National Geographic's website, Wired, Condé Nast, The Globe and Mail Report on Business Magazine.[4] They are based in Victoria, British Columbia.[7]

Is there any truth to this? I tried logging on this morning and the page was down then I read this. I hope our days on this forum aren't numbered...

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I'm totally unsure how a "bar and nightlife" venue differs from a club, but to lament a 12,000 square foot space--even if it was Scottsdale douchey (does that city even matter to anyone anymore?) that's poised to be way more successful than the poorly designed mishmash DeSoto Market it's replacing seems off. Downtown Phoenix attracting people beyond latin nights or a First Friday was a fantasy not too long ago.
So Track Club (old Desoto) looks like it will open in October with it's grand opening being on Nov. 9th. when they host Kaskade.

Track Club opens in old DeSoto building this October with shows from Kaskade, Malaa

Quote:
Track Club, the highly-anticipated nightclub taking over the former DeSoto Central Market building, will open in October. The music venue's owners announced on Monday a lineup of shows leading up to the grand opening of the 80's-themed club.

Located inside the historic DeSoto building at 915 N. Central Avenue, Track Club will host its first show on Friday, Oct. 4 in advance of its grand opening in early November.

Track Club, a collaboration between Phoenix developer Charles "Chuckie" Duff; Relentless Beats music promoter Thomas Tuner; and local cocktail company Rattle and Rum is currently under construction at the old DeSoto Central Market location.

With the first official show scheduled for early October, Track Club will be open throughout October leading up to its grand opening Nov. 9 and 10.

Along with the ticketed shows, Track Club's lounge and patio will be open from 4 p.m.-2 a.m. Tuesdays through Sundays with free local DJ sets each night.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...ws/2266217001/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
From wikpedia: SkyscraperPage was an internet forum for skyscraper hobbyists and enthusiasts[3][4] that tracked existing and proposed skyscrapers around the world.[5] The site was shuttered September 2019 after over 20 years in operation. The site was owned by Skyscraper Source Media, a supplier of skyscraper diagrams for the publication, marketing, and display industries, and is a publisher of illustrated skyscraper diagram poster products.[6] SkyscraperPage.com drawings have appeared in National Geographic's website, Wired, Condé Nast, The Globe and Mail Report on Business Magazine.[4] They are based in Victoria, British Columbia.[7]

Is there any truth to this? I tried logging on this morning and the page was down then I read this. I hope our days on this forum aren't numbered...
No, no truth to this. The Wiki was actually changed from "is" to "was" this morning at about the time of the outage. Probably someone got bored and tried to take the site down intentionally and then updated Wikipedia to say it was defunct.

Edit: I restored the Wiki back to before it was modified. Someone must be pretty bored with their life to try and and make a skyscraper site look like it was taken down.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Sep 10, 2019 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:09 PM

We all know who did it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
No, no truth to this. The Wiki was actually changed from "is" to "was" this morning at about the time of the outage. Probably someone got bored and tried to take the site down intentionally and then updated Wikipedia to say it was defunct.

Edit: I restored the Wiki back to before it was modified. Someone must be pretty bored with their life to try and and make a skyscraper site look like it was taken down.
We all know it was the remaining Koch Brother.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:20 PM

We have all noticed the Wexford building seems huge and based on this rendering I have rolled across it really is, it will be significantly taller than Roosevelt Point.

Last edited by Obadno; Sep 11, 2019 at 12:08 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 7:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
We have all noticed the Wexford building seems huge and based on this rendering I have rolled across it really is, it will be significantly taller than Roosevelt Point.

[IMG]https://media.bizj.us/view/img/11239670/hks-wexford-aerial*750xx5756-3238-122-0.jpg[/IMG]
Yes, I believe it has 15' floor plates. That plus the parapet puts this somewhere around 120' give or take. Not bad for a 7 floor building.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:02 PM

I had forgotten about this project! Cool rendering! Good to see progress being made. Hopefully with the hotel and X, the restored church/ restaurant/ event hall that area will be revitalized!

https://azbigmedia.com/real-estate/c...-first-tenant/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I had forgotten about this project! Cool rendering! Good to see progress being made. Hopefully with the hotel and X, the restored church/ restaurant/ event hall that area will be revitalized!

Nice! Posted about this weeks ago but first time seeing the mention of a speak easy in the basement. Very cool

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post

Wow I didn’t realize it was getting such a huge facelift, what an improvement!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:12 AM

This is great to hear. We need more of our historic buildings to get facelifts. Looks amazing compared to the existing. Even if the exterior can't be completely brought back to near original, hopefully the interior can be renovated to highlight the historic structure. The basement speakeasy and what looks like a very open interior is very encouraging.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
This is great to hear. We need more of our historic buildings to get facelifts. Looks amazing compared to the existing. Even if the exterior can't be completely brought back to near original, hopefully the interior can be renovated to highlight the historic structure. The basement speakeasy and what looks like a very open interior is very encouraging.
Can you imagine the 1960's when everyone went around tearing down all these great Art Deco buildings and covering up classic design with mid century garbage.

I still believe that everyone lost their minds from the mid 60's to the mid 80's its the only explanation for all the ugly shit from that time.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:07 PM
Modulator

The lot directly East adjacent to the Toll Brothers lot on Thomas was fenced up yesterday and today, Willmeng banners were put on the fence and stakes were put into the ground. I am unaware of what's going here. Checked Willmeng's site, but didn't find anything. Anyone have any info?

Edit: Ugh, never mind. I think I found it, permit CGD #19026302 for a stupid overflow parking lot...as if there's not enough parking in Midtown already.

Last edited by CrestedSaguaro; Sep 11, 2019 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:36 PM

It could be for the construction workers parking for Toll Brothers.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 8:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
It could be for the construction workers parking for Toll Brothers.
I wish it were. The permit is for overflow parking for the current office building next door. Not sure why that little office needs so much parking. The current lot they have is never even half full.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:16 PM
Skyriser

A dirt lot turning into a parking lot is sometimes the first step of a large development replacing the parking lot.

For example, the lot where Aspire is going was paved for ASU students after being used as a construction staging yard for light rail. When it was graded, they finally removed the concrete debris from the homes that were on that lot--was kinda sad when that happened.

Toll on Thomas replaced lots of parking--makes sense they'd pave a dirt lot nearby. Wait for the next cycle and you'll see a highrise.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest