HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quick update on Greenwood Brewery and resulting changes to Eye Lounge and MADE on Roosevelt

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arts...t-row-11352365

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 6:43 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
Oh, I wasn't insulting you. I have no idea if you were or are drinking (nor did you say you were). Nobody is taking away your right to have an opinion. I have shopped at everything from Harrods in London (you can purchase a whole shark there!) to a store that takes no money in South Sudan. I was just talking as someone who grew up in Phoenix, and shops pretty much everywhere (from the Whole Foods in Scottsdale, to Sprouts in Arcadia, to Food City on Thomas). Safeway is in the middle of the pack of what's available. It doesn't have to be your cup of tea--or whatever beverage you partake of--and I certainly don't think you should create an image of someone who is judging you for thinking the way you think. We disagree, but my response, which was responding to "lipstick on a pig" with "beer goggles" was making light of ME. I'm the guy sticking with his lipstick pig. I mentioned a nice alcohol section.

I can shop pretty much anywhere, and I know people prefer what they prefer, and that they have different perceptions. We all get to disagree, and I hope you don't read my own responses as personal insults. They are not meant that way.
Thanks for explaining. Maybe just misread on my part. All is forgiven. Here's a toast!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Thanks for explaining. Maybe just misread on my part. All is forgiven. Here's a toast!
Cheers!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
I thought maybe you owned a pig that really wears lipstick, I could see how feels could be hurt!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:37 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
I was you until I discovered Sprouts about a year ago. I will never go back to Safeway. You won't either if you give it a chance.
I will grant you that Sprouts is a much nicer store, but frankly I have need to buy more things than kale and granola. I actually do my weekly shopping at the Fry's at 20th St and Highland, but I need things during the week, as will the people in all of those new midtown apartments, and need to go some place more local buy a few things. Sprouts is first choice if it's something they are going to have, like produce, but more often than not they don't, and I end up in the Safeway across the corner. They also just did a lipstick on a pig remodel and one significant positive change is the reintroduction of self service checkout.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:45 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
I thought maybe you owned a pig that really wears lipstick, I could see how feels could be hurt!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 7:49 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I will grant you that Sprouts is a much nicer store, but frankly I have need to buy more things than kale and granola. I actually do my weekly shopping at the Fry's at 20th St and Highland, but I need things during the week, as will the people in all of those new midtown apartments, and need to go some place more local buy a few things. Sprouts is first choice if it's something they are going to have, like produce, but more often than not they don't, and I end up in the Safeway across the corner. They also just did a lipstick on a pig remodel and one significant positive change is the reintroduction of self service checkout.
I'm wondering how much of an affect that Block 23 Fry's is going to have on the downtown SF. It may be a little farther for some, but I myself make the drive to a much nicer Fry's 3.5 miles from my current residence compared to one that's 2 miles down the road from me. With Block 23 having a parking garage that will be free for shoppers, I can see them making the trouble to drive there from adjacent neighborhoods of downtown over SW.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:00 PM

Quote:
I'm wondering how much of an affect that Block 23 Fry's is going to have on the downtown SF. It may be a little farther for some, but I myself make the drive to a much nicer Fry's 3.5 miles from my current residence compared to one that's 2 miles down the road from me. With Block 23 having a parking garage that will be free for shoppers, I can see them making the trouble to drive there from adjacent neighborhoods of downtown over SW.
My plan is to try out the downtown Fry's--it will have a mini-Chompie's!--and if the selection and prices are comparable to 20th St and Highland, make it my goto store for weekly shopping.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
My plan is to try out the downtown Fry's--it will have a mini-Chompie's!--and if the selection and prices are comparable to 20th St and Highland, make it my goto store for weekly shopping.
whaaat...mini-Chompies!?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
whaaat...mini-Chompies!?
Me AND my pet pig are intrigued.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:30 PM
Modulator

Creighton construction cam link. Updated every 10 mins: https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLm...am_hd_1/view_1

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
I used to think that way. I shopped at the same Fry's you mentioned after I quit Safeway. If you are cooking and eating real food it's great. If you want a bunch of frozen pizzas, donuts and processed food, then yes - a traditional grocery store is better for that.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:43 PM

"If you want a bunch of frozen pizzas, donuts and processed food, then yes - a traditional grocery store "...... so true

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
"If you want a bunch of frozen pizzas, donuts and processed food, then yes - a traditional grocery store "...... so true
Just avoid the entire middle of any traditional grocery store and you're good.

Regarding the Block 23 Fry's, I think it will attract shoppers from Midtown, Coronado etc. that want to have a 'fun' grocery experience; at least for the first year or so.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
whaaat...mini-Chompies!?
Quote:
Earlier this week, Fry's announced that the downtown store would also have a sushi station with grab-and-go rolls and nigiri, and that Chompie's would have an area inside with sliders, sandwiches, including the Reuben, soups, breakfast items, and pre-packed meals.

It will be the second Fry's grocery store in the Valley to have an expanded Chompie's area. Earlier this month, Chompie's opened an expanded kitchen at the Fry's Signature store near Shea and Tatum boulevards, according to a blog post on its website. Chompie's breads, bagels, English muffins, and butter cookies can already be found at some Fry's stores across the Valley.
https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...o-late-october

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:50 PM

somebody please wake me when a 40+ story tower is announced. thank you. i am now anathema to short rectangular "tower". thanks...

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
somebody please wake me when a 40+ story tower is announced. thank you. i am now anathema to short rectangular "tower". thanks...
I would suggest staying away for another decade, we finally are getting stuff thats 30 floors. So you'll probably need to wait for a while for a 40+

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:05 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingfast View Post
These short towers are what's filing in the gaps in downtown and densifying Phoenix to look like a real city. The Hines tower will help with partially covering a bland postmodern tower. Also, not sure if you missed them, but we had 2 developers throw out 2 potential new tallest towers just a few weeks ago. These are a couple of years off at the earliest, but I'm happy just to see someone finally throwing out the possibility of actual skyscrapers in Phoenix.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Creighton construction cam link. Updated every 10 mins: https://public.earthcam.net/tJ90CoLm...am_hd_1/view_1
Dang, I didn't know they already had a decent amount of work started. It's always a good sign seeing projects like this move along since, even though we all like talking about tall towers, this sort of niche development will continue to fuel other projects after this cycle has slowed down.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I would suggest staying away for another decade, we finally are getting stuff thats 30 floors. So you'll probably need to wait for a while for a 40+
ok thanks. a metro of 6+ million needing another decade to get a new tallest....sad. call me rip van. yawn. good luck to us all. (yawn)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest