HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 7:13 PM
DENNAB

Yea the KK100 comparison has been made a lot in this thread but it's very true. I'd note that the fins on Tribune East are different up top, KK100 has a sky atrium whereas Tribune is open aired.

The color will likely be different and Tribune looks skinnier too.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
This building already exists in Shenzhen with nearly the exact same specs, only it's a touch taller there at 1450'. It's called KK100, formerly known as Kingkey Finance Tower. I realize it's a tiny tiny tiny bit different (Shenzhen's closed the top... maybe there's the extra 28'?), but still feels like Chicago is copying China here. Kind of a sad fall after the originality of the John Hancock Building, Sears Tower, and later on the Trump International Hotel.
I guess the best I can say is that they are certainly copying one of the best buildings in China. Just seems an odd choice as by most measures the Shenzhen skyline (semi) recently surpassed Chicago's in the world rankings.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1567/25480063633_26de1eddf0_b.jpgShenzhen's second tallest building, the KK100 by raspyrose_, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/7502/28094737990_f9197335ef_k.jpg罗湖 by lok, on Flickr
Are the floor plans the same because Tribune looks tall and slender where as kk100 looks very wide/bulky?

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; May 11, 2020 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 9:40 PM

I attended the "virtual" Plan Commission this past Friday and got my submission in soon enough to make a live comment.

Here are some of the notes I took during the discussion of this proposal...

Plan Commission May 8, 2020

-subtle levels of verticality on northland south facades

-transparency at the lower level

-2 points of security near entries

-programmatically driven

-tower is singular in expression

-operable windows (this will help with texture of the N/S facade)

-mullions designed for best sun protection on E-W facades

-went from 3,500 sq ft to 16,200 sq ft green space in plaza

-19 shade trees

-LEED Gold Certified

-lee golub spoke

-11 affordable units on site for rental
condo units over $1,000 per sq ft/rental over $4 per sq ft

-$570,000,000 phase one redevelopment

-$200,000,000 for the land

-construction start 4th quarter 2021 at earliest… probably 2022

-Walsh Construction phase 1 and first units in old tower 2021 delivery

-200 key 5-star high-end hotel rooms

-IF hotel fails, possible look at additional rental/condo

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 10:18 PM

I wasn't familiar with KK100 before. There are similarities and differences between it and this tower. Here's another view of the Shenzhen tower.

https://images.adsttc.com/media/imag...jpg?1414296914

Personally, I like the design of the Tribune Tower addition.

Chicago has a long history of towers that recall others from around the world. the AON Building was of a similar design and built around the same time as the World Trade Center towers in New York City.

Before building 150 N Riverside, Goettsch Partners had previously built some startlingly similar towers in the United Arab Emirates.

https://i1.wp.com/www10.aeccafe.com/...pg?w=731&ssl=1

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; May 11, 2020 at 2:48 PM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for off topic images

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 1:26 AM

I'm just happy we are getting a new supertall.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 2:02 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Still feels like Chicago is copying China here. Kind of a sad fall after the originality of the John Hancock Building, Sears Tower, and later on the Trump International Hotel.

I guess the best I can say is that they are certainly copying one of the best buildings in China. Just seems an odd choice as by most measures the Shenzhen skyline (semi) recently surpassed Chicago's in the world rankings.
Who the fuck cares, the buildings have similar shapes yet they are different enough in other ways. The Tribune Addition has different facade finishes and is a lot slimmer. Literally no one cares if it somewhats looks like KK100.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:41 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
Who the fuck cares, the buildings have similar shapes yet they are different enough in other ways. The Tribune Addition has different facade finishes and is a lot slimmer. Literally no one cares if it somewhats looks like KK100.
It also doesn't look exactly like KK100, some buildings are bound to look like each other anyway.

More in the news

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2020...d-part-begins/

Quote:
City planners OK 2nd-tallest building in Chicago. Now the hard part begins

Luxury skyscraper project known as Tribune Tower East receives approval, but hotel component may not work
Quote:
The Chicago Plan Commission has approved a plan to construct a 1,422-foot hotel and residential tower east of Tribune Tower, but much remains up in the air.

Golub & Company’s Lee Golub told the commission that “it’s tough to be able to predict in today’s world” and may have to swap out the hotel portion given the immense difficulties in that sector caused by the pandemic.

Last edited by Steely Dan; May 12, 2020 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:45 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
It also doesn't look exactly like KK100, some buildings are bound to look like each other anyway.

More in the news

https://therealdeal.com/chicago/2020...d-part-begins/
Nothing lasts forever, not even Covid. It's all about timing, and if this thing isn't even due to start construction until 2022, the hotel component may still be part of it. But yes, even with current global economic uncertainty, I'm glad this project is slowly moving forward.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Nothing lasts forever, not even Covid. It's all about timing, and if this thing isn't even due to start construction until 2022, the hotel component may still be part of it. But yes, even with current global economic uncertainty, I'm glad this project is slowly moving forward.
Agree, projected 2021/22 start date with 2025 delivery has turned into an asset for this project. Forecasting to 2025 feels like trying to imagine the year 2100 right now.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea the KK100 comparison has been made a lot in this thread but it's very true. I'd note that the fins on Tribune East are different up top, KK100 has a sky atrium whereas Tribune is open aired.

The color will likely be different and Tribune looks skinnier too.
One huge difference is that KK100 has horizontal bands absent from Tribune, Tribune will have gorgeous vertical bronze lines which when finished will make it look much taller and prettier than KK100 IMO.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:34 AM

Was this approved by the city council yet?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:12 AM
New Yorker for life

https://news.wttw.com/2020/05/19/chi...une-tower-east

Chicago’s Skyline Set to Change as Aldermen OK Plan for Tribune Tower East

Heather Cherone
May 19, 2020

Quote:
Aldermen on Tuesday advanced a proposal to build what could become the second-tallest building in Chicago — and the third tallest in the United States — on what is now a surface parking lot next to the Tribune Tower on Michigan Avenue.

The $700 million proposal from developers CIM Group and Golub & Company would rise 1,422 feet in the air and feature 564 for-sale units and apartments along with a 200-room hotel on 102 floors.
Quote:
Ald. Walter Burnett (27th Ward) called the building “very beautiful” and said it was a “big win” that the pandemic and the economic crisis had not stalled plans for the tower, which is being built by the same team that is transforming the Tribune Tower, the former home of the Chicago Tribune, into luxury condominiums.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 12:17 PM
BANNED

^ Only $700 Million?? That seems quite low for a tower of this magnitude. Vista is pegged at $1 Billion. Trump Tower was also $1 Billion in 2008 bucks. My guess is this is just another EBJ (Error by Journalist)

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:26 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Only $700 Million?? That seems quite low for a tower of this magnitude. Vista is pegged at $1 Billion. Trump Tower was also $1 Billion in 2008 bucks. My guess is this is just another EBJ (Error by Journalist)
I think you are likely correct, but to play devil's advocate, maybe a lower square footage due to the thin profile, or the fact that it's a straight tower with no protruding features reduces costs in some way?
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Lee Golub also said $700MM on a video call with the Plan Commission and Alderman Burnett.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
This number is easily sourced if you cared to spend like 30 seconds looking into it. But sure, it’s a reporters fault.

Last edited by jc5680; May 20, 2020 at 2:22 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:48 PM
BANNED

Haha my bad this time, but it's typically safe to assume poor journalism.

Do you at least agree that $700MM is low for a tower of this size?

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:53 PM

It does seem like a low cost for an American Built super tower. Also, it will be the USA's fifth tallest after 111 W 57th unless the 1442' measurement comes back into play.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
It does seem like a low cost for an American Built super tower. Also, it will be the USA's fifth tallest after 111 W 57th unless the 1442' measurement comes back into play.
All depends on the final height of 270 Park.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Love it! Best tower that will rise in many years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals