HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 3:36 PM

Great photo! I haven't seen the view out from the Mormon temple before.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Nice photo. The Century City skyline, alone, is probably larger than the skylines of a lot of midsize cities elsewhere.
If you added CC, Mid-Wilshire/K-Town, Hollywood, Westwood, Long Beach, El Segundo, Glendale, Pasadena, Newport, and Irvine to DTLA, you'd have a premium skyline.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
If you added CC, Mid-Wilshire/K-Town, Hollywood, Westwood, Long Beach, El Segundo, Glendale, Pasadena, Newport, and Irvine to DTLA, you'd have a premium skyline.
Once Bunker Hill connects with South Park, the DTLA skyline will already be pretty impressive. Call me crazy, but I actually appreciate how all these separate clusters gives such strong identities to unique areas within the LA basin and around.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 4:58 AM

I read somewhere that the new twin towers in Century City are 600' tall on the nose. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Great photo! I haven't seen the view out from the Mormon temple before.
Same here, great view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Don't forget Ventura Blvd., Warner Center, Universal City, Burbank, San Bernardino, Brentwood, Santa Monica . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
Once Bunker Hill connects with South Park, the DTLA skyline will already be pretty impressive. Call me crazy, but I actually appreciate how all these separate clusters gives such strong identities to unique areas within the LA basin and around.
I love, love, love the clusters of mid- and high-rises spread throughout the entire metro. It's one of the most unique and interesting things about living in this region.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2021, 9:59 AM

Century City

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Nice photo. The Century City skyline, alone, is probably larger than the skylines of a lot of midsize cities elsewhere.
Like Cincinnati, Kansas City, or St. Louis.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I read somewhere that the new twin towers in Century City are 600' tall on the nose. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Same here, great view.

Don't forget Ventura Blvd., Warner Center, Universal City, Burbank, San Bernardino, Brentwood, Santa Monica . . .

I love, love, love the clusters of mid- and high-rises spread throughout the entire metro. It's one of the most unique and interesting things about living in this region.
I think another one will pop up around the La Cieniga Expo line station too.
It's already kinda happening, and there's so much stuff to rebuild there. I can also see the Bundy station becoming more vertical. A mix of office and housing for both.

The Beverly Center/Cedars too. There's some proposals but at some point, the NIMBYs will lose and it will go more vertical. Maybe after the purple line is expanded to La Cienaga. Beverly Hills, why not? Who knows when, but to me it's inevitable.

I feel the same way for North Hollywood and La Brea/Santa Monica.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2021, 8:43 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Who here believes pretty much anything in Koreatown is fair game for demolition and to be replaced by greater density-producing structures (even if they are ugly)? Or should we make an effort to preserve the early 20th century multiplexes and Craftsman bungalows?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 5:54 PM

Absolutely love that the White House called out LA's wealth of golf courses specifically in their Housing plan announcement today:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...ousing-supply/

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:29 PM
El Guátqui

If replacing the region's golf courses were on the table, I'd rather see them just turned into public parks with drought-tolerant landscaping than paved over with more of the same single-use zoning that surrounds them.

It'd be better to just abolish that single-use zoning in most areas and let natural mid-rise mixed-use districts develop wherever they make sense.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2021, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan de California View Post
If replacing the region's golf courses were on the table, I'd rather see them just turned into public parks with drought-tolerant landscaping than paved over with more of the same single-use zoning that surrounds them.

It'd be better to just abolish that single-use zoning in most areas and let natural mid-rise mixed-use districts develop wherever they make sense.
I agree - We still as a region are relatively park poor in terms of the number of people who can walk to a park in 5-10 mins even if we have some great big parks + the ocean.

That is why I'm in favor of projects like the Airport to Park plan for Santa Monica Airport (https://airport2park.org/) and allowing dense infill on the fringes of that vs. having the site becoming (likely) low density housing along with dense infill by transit.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2021, 12:57 AM

That '50,000 people in 200 acres' calculation doesn't make practical sense--200 acres is less than one-third of a square mile. There's no way LA is going to take an existing golf course and build it out at more than 150,000 persons per square mile. That's nearly 50% more dense than the densest Census tract in the entire Southland.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2021, 10:11 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

WB Expansion in Burbank

WB Expansion in Burbank
9/11/21

Looks like they are already putting up the facade (glass) up...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2021, 5:38 AM

Cool pics, a9l8e7n, thanks for the update!

BTW, I'm pretty sure that Channel 7 shows a streaming cam of the WB site behind its anchors on their evening news broadcasts.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 2:46 PM

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyv View Post
I love the boldness, how it's so different, the landscaping, but I don't love the look. Regardless, build baby build

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 3:07 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Whoa, this one's out of left field. Love the tower design - and MAD Architects does amazing work - but they really need to revise how this interacts with the street, especially on Sunset Blvd. It appears to have a 'tower in the park' setting, which is generally awful for activating the street. The rendering also looks to be waaaaay out of scale. I realize this is an office tower and that some of the floors may be double-height, but this looks twice as tall as the CIM tower a block away, and that one is 23 stories if memory serves me correctly.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 4:06 PM

Love it. It's perfect for that area. Between this, sofi, and the Lucas museum we're getting some real nice futuristic designs.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:53 PM

So freaking cool. Love the ambition and the continued momentum of Hollywood as the business center for the future of Entertainment.

Architecturally this is the type of buildings that Hollywood needs for its skyline to be as a distinct identifier as the typical establishing shots of Hollywood are now (The Sign, Chinese Theatre, Walk of Fame, etc)

Actually went to Hollywood last night and was really struck at how much nicer its gotten (in many, not all ways), especially Sunset (Hollywood Blvd still has some ways to go but if that pedestrian oriented plan actually moves forward this neighborhood is really going somewhere as an urban center).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:57 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Whoa, this one's out of left field. Love the tower design - and MAD Architects does amazing work - but they really need to revise how this interacts with the street, especially on Sunset Blvd. It appears to have a 'tower in the park' setting, which is generally awful for activating the street. The rendering also looks to be waaaaay out of scale. I realize this is an office tower and that some of the floors may be double-height, but this looks twice as tall as the CIM tower a block away, and that one is 23 stories if memory serves me correctly.
I agree. Need to see the pedestrian activation to be able to fully support this building. My friends live around this area and I spend lots of time walking around Sunset and Gower. This could potentially do just as much damage to the area as it benefits the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 9:24 PM
DENNAB

That's really cool, at first I thought this was Chinese backed which made me a little nervous given history but I think it's just the architecture firm that is

Quote:
The Star limited liability company is a family partnership led by Maggie Gong Miracle, a Chinese-born investor and real estate agent who lives in Los Angeles. Financing for the project would be raised in the United States, Khalatian said.
Sure hope they can pull it off

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations