HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Also, i think they did a pretty good job of breaking up the podium and making it look as organic to the street as possible.
Speaking of the podium, it seems like the curve of the LED ribbon was designed to compliment or contrast the curve on Staples.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 8:03 PM

This photo is spectacular. Now if only we can get Shenzen project in there and it'll be full circle

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post

This photo is spectacular. Now if only we can get Shenzen project in there and it'll be full circle
Don't forget Apex II, 8th and Fig, and the possible Olympic Tower (not to mention the Onni twins just out of view on Flower and Hooters Tower below Circa)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Speaking of the podium, it seems like the curve of the LED ribbon was designed to compliment or contrast the curve on Staples.
youre right, i like it!

That rendering is beautiful. I love how downtown isnt monotone.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
The Park Hyatt hotel/condo rendering looks sweet. It's amazing how that area is transforming. Now if only the Grand Avenue could be resurrected.
Its not actually dead, its just that Related has taken their sweet ass time. If im not mistaken, they must break ground by Nov 2017

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Its not actually dead, its just that Related has taken their sweet ass time. If im not mistaken, they must break ground by Nov 2017
Really? I've been trying to find out what was going with Related for this project for the past few weeks...I've found nothing. I hope what you is saying is true.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:06 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Nevermind.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:31 AM

Changing the subject, does anyone happen to have those old renders of the proposed building that was suppose to go up behind Hotel Figueroa?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Changing the subject, does anyone happen to have those old renders of the proposed building that was suppose to go up behind Hotel Figueroa?
This one?
http://urbanize.la/post/first-look-6...ar-wash-killer

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 1:05 PM

^no, behind the hotel. It was a really old and cancelled project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:15 PM

From the SF Chronicle:
http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/a...photo-11643611

Cloud-shape design floated for Lucas museum

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
From the SF Chronicle

Totally unexpected. I've heard that the city was offering land in Expo park, but I thought it was where the old sports arena was....& where the new soccer stadium in going up.....& so the proposal didn't carry much weight, or was now no longer even relevant.

Never thought the offer actually involved land west of the coliseum....a big gap that has bothered me for yrs. Such a proj would remove lots of parking space for events at the stadium, but that deadzone has always been an unattractive foreground for expo park & the coliseum in particular.

Lucas & his wife have said they'd prefer a location....originally in chicago....where lots of kids from underprivileged locations could easily attend. That's a lot truer of south LA than an island in the middle of SF bay....where visitors would have to take a ferry boat to get to the site.

The collection is full of norman rockwell artwork....famous in its own way....& star ways type of objects, so it's the opposite of high brow. Not for the pinkie raised above teacup type of crowd. But that's why it would complement aspects of the neighboring museum that focuses on natural history, including the culture of LA.

totally didn't expect that as an option for the museum.

I believe eric garcetti has been quietly involved with this behind the scenes. But I was skeptical if he had any real site in mind, other than one where the old sports arena existed. If I'm incorrect, he deserves a major "yes!" if something comes of it, he'll be able to put anther major feather in his cap.

that & the images of the new devlpt across from Staples are putting me in a daze right now.

Wow.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:09 PM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:12 PM

It would appear that Expo Park is the most logical location for the Lucas Museum: easy and fast permits process; high profile location with good transit access; close to other popular museums; near underprivileged neighborhoods. But Lucas seems fixated on SF. I really wonder what kind of attendance the museum could expect on Treasure Island.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:18 PM

^^ I wish the podium wasn't as large, but it's a fine tower. I was hoping for a good deal taller, but it at least looks to be of high quality. I also know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I am kind of glad that it doesn't take up all the parking lots. I'd rather have three unique separate towers eventually fill those spaces over the next few years then another metropolis style mega project.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^^ I wish the podium wasn't as large, but it's a fine tower. I was hoping for a good deal taller, but it at least looks to be of high quality. I also know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but I am kind of glad that it doesn't take up all the parking lots. I'd rather have three unique separate towers eventually fill those spaces over the next few years then another metropolis style mega project.
yeah Metropolis style projects are fun but there's something so exciting about different towers eating up different parking lots on the same back within a few years of each other.

Also the height of this tower is fine. 489 ft. is still taller than most of the stand alone residential towers we've seen. It'll be interesting to see how this tower looks with the Ernst & Young tower which is like 30 ft. taller I think.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:37 PM

March 2018 is so far away

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:57 PM

Metro receives three more proposals:

http://thesource.metro.net/2016/10/2...re-m-projects/

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 5:57 PM
:o

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
yeah Metropolis style projects are fun but there's something so exciting about different towers eating up different parking lots on the same back within a few years of each other.

Also the height of this tower is fine. 489 ft. is still taller than most of the stand alone residential towers we've seen. It'll be interesting to see how this tower looks with the Ernst & Young tower which is like 30 ft. taller I think.
Hopefully the demise of many of these huge lots will mean the end of parking podiums that take up twice as much space as the tower. 8th & Hope is at least a good example of a parking podium done right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
March 2018 is so far away
Really? A year and change for that lot?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
But Lucas seems fixated on SF.
he does live in Marin county & that location in SF bay is a thousand times more scenic than what's around the admittedly dog eared expo park area. but that difference in the visual reputation of the 2 major urban areas of calif has been true for over 100 yrs. But it's a difference that can be considered one very much based on the superficial vs substance. sort of the like the difference between the high school homecoming queen vs the plain faced, eyeglass wearing student with lots of personality & interesting quirks.

Lucas may very well choose the site in SF bay, but if he values substance over superficial, he'll go with expo park.

his museum also is planned to host lots of events related to cinema and cultural tie ins in general. That will fit with things already in existence or upcoming either in Expo pk or further west in LA compared with a location in an admittedly splendid, but isolated, scenic part of No Cal.....

Quote:
Number of Art Museums in L.A. Keeps Growing

Recent L.A. cultural news and events bring to mind the lovely, tongue-in-cheek expression that “one can never be too rich or too thin”, to which I would like to add that “one can never have too many museums” either. Here’s what I mean. Since I came to L.A. three decades ago, the number of museums here has doubled, if not tripled, and still continues to grow.

The Broad Museum, which opened in downtown last year, is proudly celebrating its first birthday. And proud it should be. Every time I’m passing by, I see a long line of visitors waiting for admission. Initially, the annual attendance was expected to be at about 300,000 people, but at the end of its first year, the actual number is three times higher.

There is no doubt that free admission is an important factor in the Broad Museum’s popularity. But add to that its public-friendly hours, when on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, it’s open until 8pm. No other museum in L.A. has such friendly hours — with the exception of the Hammer, which is also free and open late not three, but four days a week.

Last year, the Petersen Automotive Museum went through a dramatic overhaul. Its new façade of silver metal ribbons over red-colored walls is impossible to ignore — especially at night, when it reminds me of the flow of red and white lights on a busy freeway. The new exhibition there, “the Art of Bugatti“, is focused on a particular brand of exquisitely designed luxury cars, the type you won’t see parked very often, even on Rodeo Drive.

The new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures, which will be across from the Petersen, was initially scheduled to open in 2017, but now it has been moved to 2018. So, in a little bit more than a year, the gigantic glass sphere of this museum, designed by Renzo Piano, will greet its first visitors. The Miracle Mile along Wilshire Blvd. will become even more glamorous...

But wait. There is another museum scheduled to open next year on Wilshire Blvd., just a couple of miles east. Maurice and Paul Marciano Art Foundation will move into the 100,000-square-foot former Scottish Rite Masonic Temple, which is undergoing renovations by L.A.-based architectural firm wHY.

And here’s something particularly close to my heart, and hopefully to yours as well. The former Santa Monica Museum of Art, which closed its headquarters at Bergamot Station last year, has renamed itself the Institute of Contemporary Art Los Angeles — ICA LA, for short. Lucky for the museum, its new eye-catching logo was designed by Mark Bradford, one of the best-known L.A. artists.

Next year, the Institute of Contemporary Art will open in downtown L.A. on East 7th Street, in a former textile manufacturing plant which will be redesigned by L.A. architect Kulapat Yantrasast and his firm wHY Architecture — the same firm responsible for turning the Masonic Temple into a public museum. Can you think of any other American city where new museums pop up one after another, like they do here in L.A.?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations