HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:53 PM
BANNED

Depends what you mean by sprawl. I love that LA seems to go on forever, it means theres always more city to explore and it keeps things from getting stale. What I do wish for is more walkable density, i.e high density corridors and nodes corresponding with transit infrastructure. This is the development pattern cities in Japan and Korea generally take (and why I'm so obsessed with them) and the model most applicable to LA, as we basically already have one running along Wilshire.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:39 PM
LADevelopmentMap.com

Well...this answers our question about the NII and a preemptive boom

http://la.curbed.com/2016/10/5/13181...hood-integrity

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:45 PM

^It's ironic that more then likely the NII wont pass and it also happened to make the city a lot better by accident.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 5:55 PM
BANNED

Nightmare scenario:

1. Developers rush to get things built before NII
2. NII passes
3. Flood of new housing stock lowers prices in the short run
4. NII claims their anti-development policies lowered housing costs
5. Housing costs rise in medium/long term, NIMBYs cite NII as evidence restricting supply lowers costs

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastSupertall View Post
Well...this answers our question about the NII and a preemptive boom
Ironically, that project wouldn't be affected by NII, as it doesn't request a GPA or any zone variances.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 6:35 PM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:10 PM

That looks better than most the stumpies in South Park.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:12 PM

^^^Eh, I think that puts way too much faith in the NIMBYS, they are too unaware of the world to have thoughts that complex. In complete serious, I really doubt the NII will pass. Maybe I am just doing wishful thinking, but the people that vote on these the most are the people who make money off this growth. I wouldn't be shocked if it went 50/50, but the NII needs 2/3rds of the vote to get passed.

^I really like the design and scale for that building. I wish it was bigger, but it has a nice bulk to it with out being oppressive looking. My only real issue is the amount of parking, but at least it interacts with the street and the parking is very well hidden. In fact the building over all has a really nice design, it doesn't look cheap or like a mash up in styles. Hopefully in the near future there will be buildings of that scale (or larger) and quality all over that neighborhood.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
^^^Eh, I think that puts way too much faith in the NIMBYS, they are too unaware of the world to have thoughts that complex. In complete serious, I really doubt the NII will pass. Maybe I am just doing wishful thinking, but the people that vote on these the most are the people who make money off this growth. I wouldn't be shocked if it went 50/50, but the NII needs 2/3rds of the vote to get passed.

^I really like the design and scale for that building. I wish it was bigger, but it has a nice bulk to it with out being oppressive looking. My only real issue is the amount of parking, but at least it interacts with the street and the parking is very well hidden. In fact the building over all has a really nice design, it doesn't look cheap or like a mash up in styles. Hopefully in the near future there will be buildings of that scale (or larger) and quality all over that neighborhood.
i dont think NII needs 2/3rds. Its not a tax so a simple 50% +1 would be enough. I agree though, i dont think it passes, but crazier things have happened.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
i dont think NII needs 2/3rds. Its not a tax so a simple 50% +1 would be enough. I agree though, i dont think it passes, but crazier things have happened.
According to this Curbed article it needs 2/3rds, but I'm not sure how accurate it is.

http://la.curbed.com/2016/8/31/12706...tiative-ballot

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun View Post
That looks better than most the stumpies in South Park.
I see stucco, though.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Nightmare scenario:

1. Developers rush to get things built before NII
2. NII passes
3. Flood of new housing stock lowers prices in the short run
4. NII claims their anti-development policies lowered housing costs
5. Housing costs rise in medium/long term, NIMBYs cite NII as evidence restricting supply lowers costs
I wish you didn't tell me this. Now this is going to be a worry in the back of mind.

I really hope NII fails. If it requires a 2/3rd pass, I'm confident it'll fail. But 51%? That's victory is up in the air imo.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I wish you didn't tell me this. Now this is going to be a worry in the back of mind.

I really hope NII fails. If it requires a 2/3rd pass, I'm confident it'll fail. But 51%? That's victory is up in the air imo.
Really it's 50.0000000001% to pass

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:18 AM

Has anyone considered the fact that even if the initiative passes it can still be held up in court, perhaps indefinitely. The city, developers, interested parties, or even a private citizen can file the necessary documents. Some issue, any issue, or even the slightest flaw can be used as a basis for argument. Maybe a developer will retain the services of the infamous Robert Silverstein. He of all people is an expert at wading through bullshit--even his own.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:27 AM

Saw this posted at the NE corner of 4th and Broadway today. Right across the street from the buildings that were recently bulldozed to make way for SCG America's 34-story Tower . I think they got the address wrong though. The building that the notice was posted on is at 223 West 4th st, not East

Last edited by San Frangelino; Oct 7, 2016 at 12:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
Has anyone considered the fact that even if the initiative passes it can still be held up in court, perhaps indefinitely. The city, developers, interested parties, or even a private citizen can file the necessary documents. Some issue, any issue, or even the slightest flaw can be used as a basis for argument. Maybe a developer will retain the services of the infamous Robert Silverstein. He of all people is an expert at wading through bullshit--even his own.
My worries of it passing have diminished only because I fee the groups opposing it are much more powerful and have more money to fight it than its proponents.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post
Saw this posted at the NE corner of 4th and Broadway today. Right across the street from the buildings that were recently bulldozed to make way for SCG America's 34-story Tower . I think they got the address wrong though. The building that the notice was posted on is at 223 West 4th st, not East

Is there anything proposed for that site, or no?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
Is there anything proposed for that site, or no?
I don't know. There is this http://brighamyen.com/2012/04/18/sas...n-downtown-la/. But I pray to God it's not what they are planning to build

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:25 AM
BikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Frangelino View Post

I can't see the picture

Old Posted Oct 7, 2016, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident View Post
I can't see the picture
It's okay. It's not worth it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations