HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 3:21 PM

How likely is it that the NII will pass? I just can't see anyone supporting it.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:11 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That's how they'll win. Apathy on the other side. This is in March, and will take a consistent and persistent active effort to defeat.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
How likely is it that the NII will pass? I just can't see anyone supporting it.
City of LA elections are at the mercy of the few people that actually vote- UTLA members, Trade unions like construction, hotel workers (SEIU) etc, and the other public employee groups like DWP.

NII doesn't help any of the above. I have no idea why it would pass unless they get some of these people to support it via their campaign of misinformation and hysteria.

Expect a 10% turnout for the off season ballot they are putting this to the voters on and who knows, anything can happen.

**Edit**
I forgot to add one other regular voting block- the pro rent control crowd. I think they believe they stand to gain from it's passage. The irony is that long term it probably makes things worse as property prices will continue higher/ faster due to lack of any new supply being built. Rents for everyone not locked in to a rent control unit are going to soar.

Last edited by Steve8263; Oct 5, 2016 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 5:50 PM

Everyone needs to get out and vote against this bs. The general public will read "stop mega developments" and think, yes this will reduce traffic and improve MY quality of life.

Thankfully, as pointed out above, trade unions, construction workers, real estate related fields, etc will all vote against this in theory, we just have to get them out to vote.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 6:23 PM

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Everyone needs to get out and vote against this bs. The general public will read "stop mega developments" and think, yes this will reduce traffic and improve MY quality of life.

Thankfully, as pointed out above, trade unions, construction workers, real estate related fields, etc will all vote against this in theory, we just have to get them out to vote.
I'm confident everyone on this forum will vote against it. But we should really encourage our friends and families to vote against. It's a March election which means every vote really counts.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:59 PM

^yep been talking with family friends and relatives living in LA about the NII and to vote no.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post

"Stop Megadevelopments" NIMBYs--consequences if passed:

1. Higher rents

2. Higher unemployment, especially in construction

3. More homelessness

4. Local tax increases on residents--developers pay a LOT of taxes

This NIMBY "stop development" measure is HORRIBLE in all ways.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
I'm confident everyone on this forum will vote against it. But we should really encourage our friends and families to vote against. It's a March election which means every vote really counts.
Good point. I will definitely be voting and definitely voting against. But mixed results talking to others. Some really feel LA is already too crowded and are against more housing. Others have been negatively impacted by infill that really can sometimes be pretty impactful. I'm very pro-growth but I've see some things that I was glad weren't next to me.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:27 AM

If you include the double Onni towers and 1133 Hope, there are now 21 highrises under construction in DTLA

Wilshire Grand (1)
Metropolis (4)
Oceanwide Plaza (3)
820 Olive (1)
Mack Urban (1)
Circa (2)
8th & Olive (1)
888 Hope (1)
Apex II (1)
Spring Street towers (2)
Ten50 (1)
Onni double towers (2)
1133 Hope (1)

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:46 AM

And yet Related still can't seem to get the Grand Avenue project going.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:56 AM

^And Barry Shy is still saying 18 months until groundbreaking on all his developments.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Good point. I will definitely be voting and definitely voting against. But mixed results talking to others. Some really feel LA is already too crowded and are against more housing. Others have been negatively impacted by infill that really can sometimes be pretty impactful. I'm very pro-growth but I've see some things that I was glad weren't next to me.
Anybody who says LA is overcrowded needs to get their head out of their ass.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
Anybody who says LA is overcrowded needs to get their head out of their ass.
This is one of those moments where you have to take in the perspective of other people in order to make for a convincing argument.

People who say LA is overcrowded tend to be people who struggle to find parking for their apartment and/or are people who loathe traffic in their daily commute.

They're usually unaware to realize that these issues are faults of car culture and sprawl. You're more likely to convince folks that these issues related to "overcrowding" can be relieved through denser housing built near job centers instead of suggesting to take their heads out of their asses.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melo Blue View Post
Related and Grand Avenue is a joke. When can we have someone else develop the parcel?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:19 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
This is one of those moments where you have to take in the perspective of other people in order to make for a convincing argument.

People who say LA is overcrowded tend to be people who struggle to find parking for their apartment and/or are people who loathe traffic in their daily commute.

They're usually unaware to realize that these issues are faults of car culture and sprawl. You're more likely to convince folks that these issues related to "overcrowding" can be relieved through denser housing built near job centers instead of suggesting to take their heads out of their asses.
Yeah, some people just need to hear the other side of the coin and that is how combining residential with retail and building up will take cars off the road. People may find that they like their new denser neighborhood even better and actually get out of their cars and walk more.

On an equally important note most all of us who live here need to understand that what this proposal actually does is make our fate worse in the pocket book. Rents will continue to skyrocket and housing will never be an option

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 6:13 AM

The main reason housing is so expensive in LA is that it's just so absurdly underdeveloped. Not just homes but hotels as well, as homeowners are likely to rent out their places on AirBnb when they see hotels charging extortionate rates.

Consider: Construction booms in the Bay Area and NYC have caused rents to drop.

Quote:
The GAP is becoming more irrelevant every day. I'd be shocked if it got off the ground in this building cycle.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 12:57 PM

http://urbanize.la/post/more-apartme...shion-district

Cool scale for the area, but four levels of parking for an eight story building?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 2:28 PM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 2:38 PM

^Great footage. LA really is a beauty, just wish it was half as sprawled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations