HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 27, 2018, 4:32 PM

Great looking design and I agree would make a huge statement to Chicago's already impressive and growing skyline. My only thought was would it have been architecturally awesome if the architect would have used a more gothic style mirroring it's classic neighbor the Tribune Tower? I think it would have been so unique but maybe also a huge cost issue. Nevertheless it is a stunning building and I hope it does get built soon.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:01 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago E View Post
Great looking design and I agree would make a huge statement to Chicago's already impressive and growing skyline. My only thought was would it have been architecturally awesome if the architect would have used a more gothic style mirroring it's classic neighbor the Tribune Tower? I think it would have been so unique but maybe also a huge cost issue. Nevertheless it is a stunning building and I hope it does get built soon.
The architect was put in somewhat of a tough spot, building a tower immediately adjacent to a 1920's masterpiece. Trying to mimic and draw too many elements from the Tribune, which would be standing immediately to the east, all the while using modern building materials to imitate designs that use limestone would run the risk of coming off as tacky and derivative. I think Adrian Smith knew he was walking a fine line in trying to have the design show just enough Gothic (the crown) and Art Deco (the tower) influence, without it coming off as a gaudy replica. I think he hit the nail pretty close to head with this design.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 1:20 AM
THAT Guy

Well, SOAR looks to be on board. Maybe they should push to increase the height of this "beautiful addition?"

There is also one on 400 N LSD.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Well, SOAR looks to be on board. Maybe they should push to increase the height of this "beautiful addition?"

There is also one on 400 N LSD.
Lol yassss

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 3:51 AM
1st Ward

Good to hear! SOAR is generally one of the most civil and amicable community groups in the city, so this isn't too much of a surprise, even though this tower will be the 2nd tallest in the city and taller than anything in Streeterville by a massive margin, JHC excluded.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:28 PM
Ω

Wow, a community group that actually encourages development.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 5:07 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Gail Spreen was always supportive of high-rise developments in Streeterville when she was in charge of SOAR, even with the original, 2,000' tall Chicago Spire development 10 years ago. Happy to see that they are consistent with their decisions...and nice to see they appear to praise the design of the Trib Tower addition.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

2nd most exciting project in the country, best "proposal" out of anywhere in the U.S..

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
2nd most exciting project in the country, best "proposal" out of anywhere in the U.S..
What would you call the first? I'm by no means disagreeing I'm just curious.

Also some other exciting supertalls U/C: Vista obviously, 53W53, 111 W 57th, 30 Hudson Yards just to name a few. One Vanderbilt is also a great tower that'll look spectacular finished but It borrows a lot of its height from a spire.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

111 W 57th IMO.

This is just my opinion

But the caliber of Tribune is excellent. No doubt.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
^^^^^

111 W 57th IMO.

This is just my opinion

I agree Tribune is excellent and I also agree 111 W 57th is NY's best project right now. There is no denying that is an extremely well done tower.

...ok let's change the subject before the uproar starts haha.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 12:56 AM

Was there suppose to be some type of meeting on this next month ?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 5:44 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Gail Spreen was always supportive of high-rise developments in Streeterville when she was in charge of SOAR, even with the original, 2,000' tall Chicago Spire development 10 years ago. Happy to see that they are consistent with their decisions...and nice to see they appear to praise the design of the Trib Tower addition.
Well, of course. She literally makes her living selling condos, so of course she and her group will be supportive.

Kudos to them, though, for filling the community group role with something other than a bunch of foaming NIMBYs and continuing to reinforce the expectation that Streeterville is destined to become a mini-Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Well, of course. She literally makes her living selling condos, so of course she and her group will be supportive.

Kudos to them, though, for filling the community group role with something other than a bunch of foaming NIMBYs and continuing to reinforce the expectation that Streeterville is destined to become a mini-Manhattan.
Gail cares a LOT about the neighborhood, regardless of her profession.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
Gail cares a LOT about the neighborhood, regardless of her profession.
It seems like a bit of a perfect storm. You have real estate professionals involved that have been there long enough to care about things grow and change. But also understand development and how shaping development is more productive than obstructing it.

Not to mention everyone there is already living in high rise condos. Its not like there is a group of people who have been there for 3 generations living in bungalows and 3 flats upset with all this new density. Streeterville went from industrial cess pool to glassy high rise urban jungle with very little inbetween.

I should probably get more involved in SOAR. I would be curious how active NW is in terms of all these things as what I would assume is the vastly largest employer, land owner, and building owner in Streeterville.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 5:35 PM

Quote:
^^^^^

111 W 57th IMO.

This is just my opinion

I find it hard to judge the proposal from the renders I've seen, but just the location, twin towers, and redevelopment of the original Tribune building, not to mention the height is very exciting. Are there better renders than those posted on page 1 of the thread?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
It seems like a bit of a perfect storm. You have real estate professionals involved that have been there long enough to care about things grow and change. But also understand development and how shaping development is more productive than obstructing it.

Not to mention everyone there is already living in high rise condos. Its not like there is a group of people who have been there for 3 generations living in bungalows and 3 flats upset with all this new density. Streeterville went from industrial cess pool to glassy high rise urban jungle with very little inbetween.

I should probably get more involved in SOAR. I would be curious how active NW is in terms of all these things as what I would assume is the vastly largest employer, land owner, and building owner in Streeterville.

It's pretty neat to see how Streeterville has grown within the last twenty years. I just wish there was a L track that served the area. I know the red line is close, but it is still a hike. Having a L track would also serve Navy Pier and the lakefront. Maybe one day soon.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
I find it hard to judge the proposal from the renders I've seen, but just the location, twin towers, and redevelopment of the original Tribune building, not to mention the height is very exciting. Are there better renders than those posted on page 1 of the thread?
The development site has a giant pdf with more renderings, site plans, etc

http://tribunetowerredevelopment.com

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
The development site has a giant pdf with more renderings, site plans, etc

http://tribunetowerredevelopment.com
Thanks! Looks good!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 11:50 PM
1st Ward

Wow, lots of information there. Great that they will for the most part preserve the Printing plant, WGN TV and WGN radio buildings. Really, they will be untouched, except for a parapet on the east side of the WGN TV building (to make way for a 4 story addition that will be set back from the existing exterior wall), and a courtyard that will be cut out of the center of the site between the printing plant and the WGN TV building.

The sprucing and brightening up of Lower Michigan and Lower Illinois is definitely much needed.

Absolutely love the base of the Tribune Addition facing Pioneer Court.

Build it now please!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals