HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 3:28 PM
you know where I'll be

^ ^^ I'm very curious as well precisely what transpired here. And of course, what was actually verbally stated to B-ville could very well only be part of what was communicated, or intended to be communicated.

Aside from that is the basic question of how such a real and/or perceived threat - if there was one in any case - would actually be effective, ie followed-up on/enforced? My working assumption is that - and if this is a naive assumption because this is Chicago I want to know in detail how so - it's highly unlikely that in practice politicians/the machinel are accessing actual voting records (the choices made). I think that most people - despite Chicago being Chicago - would share my assumption and that any real and/or perceived threat would have very little to no impact on voting choices. If otherwise - if there was even a small percentage of Chicago's electorate that felt it's realistically possible to be politically threatened into voting a certain way - this would be an enormous problem with our democracy and it's someting that the Justice Department and FBI would need and want to be all over.....

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Jan 30, 2015 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:25 PM

I was standing in front of my building and 2 large guys approached me, asking me I was "my full name", and if I was going to be voting for the Alderman. I told them no, and they asked me why not. Then I got a call from someone the next day on my cell phone, and they wanted to know again who I was voting for and then they gave all the canned statements about the alderman wanted to know how strongly I agreed or disagreed. Eventually, I got sick of it and hung up.
They didn't threat me directly, but I more just disturbed that they knew my full name, and cell phone number. And what they are going to do with that info in the future if he does win. Are they going to ignore service requests to my address because I didn't vote for him, ect. The whole idea just seems really sleazy. Now I'm wondering if he would have access to the voter records to see who voted for who. Its all computerized now so it would be simple to download that list.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
what exactly did they say to you? how were you "shook down"? did they make any direct or indirect threats to you?
"That's an awful nice three flat ya got there, it'd be a shame if anything were to happen to it..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Maybe I'm stupid or ignorant, but I frankly don't see what Garcia or Fioretti have to offer as Mayor. At. All. Fioretti is an abject POS panderer, in my book, with no redeeming qualities - he just appears to be an extremely bitter, apathetic ole queen who represents the decadent status quo worse than someone like Rahm. And I really don't know much about "Chuy", other than his childish nickname, regardless of provenance. Wilson and Walls just seem to be wasting everyone's time.
They don't have anything to offer except mopping up the "anyone but Rahm" vote for their own long term political gain. Seriously, everyone knows Rahm is going to win. Every candidate who is running has nothing to lose by pissing Rahm off and is going for the "I ran for mayor and got 20% of the vote" resume builder. I will be completely shocked if this election goes to a runoff. Rahm is probably just about to start dumping his cash on that remaining undecided voter category and they will all comply with his propaganda. Going to call it at 55% Rahm, 21% Chuy, 15% Fioretti, 9% other.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
I told them no
if a stranger on the street ever asked me who i was voting for, "that's none of your business" is the only reply they would ever get from me.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Now I'm wondering if he would have access to the voter records to see who voted for who. Its all computerized now so it would be simple to download that list.
You'd be surprised how non-confidential your voting (and other) records are to campaign organizations. I had a friend who was working for the Cook County Democrats and was reprimanded for having the gall to vote for a Republican or two in the election prior to the start of her employment. She was basically told "if you ever vote R again, you're career is over". You should go vote and vote against him anyhow. I have no respect for these kinds of political games.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 5:43 PM

Yea, I'm definitely not voting for him now. He's been in office 30 years, I think it's long enough plus he only works part time as an alderman. I'd rather have an alderman that works full time for the ward. His law firm is his full time job, and he has publicly admitted that he thinks it's a good idea to hire family member to government jobs on principle. Time for him to go!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2015, 5:23 PM
TL;DR

What an old-school Irish jagbag.

Ugh, aldermen. The only ones I like are Pawar and maybe Waguespack. They seem to understand certain principles of decent urban planning. Arena talks a good talk about TOD, bike lanes, streetscaping, etc but his ward is not high-growth and his constituents are some of the most entitled in the city.

And (don't shoot the messenger here) Reilly is one of the better aldermen. He is about as pro-development as he can realistically be and still get elected. Most of what he does is stagecraft to manage public outrage - he has to get concessions from developers to keep voters from getting too upset. I imagine some developers will compensate and ask for more than they need, so they can still be profitable after Reilly comes through with the axe.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2015, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
What an old-school Irish jagbag.

Ugh, aldermen. The only ones I like are Pawar and maybe Waguespack. They seem to understand certain principles of decent urban planning. Arena talks a good talk about TOD, bike lanes, streetscaping, etc but his ward is not high-growth and his constituents are some of the most entitled in the city.

And (don't shoot the messenger here) Reilly is one of the better aldermen. He is about as pro-development as he can realistically be and still get elected. Most of what he does is stagecraft to manage public outrage - he has to get concessions from developers to keep voters from getting too upset. I imagine some developers will compensate and ask for more than they need, so they can still be profitable after Reilly comes through with the axe.
Someone here should run for alderman.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:24 PM
you know where I'll be

^^^^ et al this stuff re O'Conner - and I'm sure all the other old school douchebagermen is really disturbing, particularly when it comes to the possibility of actually accessing voting records. At the mere hint of those kind of hijinks, serious investigations should ensue.

Ardecila - I agree with your point re: O'Reilly. When you look at the big picture, it could be (well, we having dozens of current real life examples) considerably worse if you're pro-development in general (as usual accepting the ridiculous 'planning' and zoning entitlement system (aldermanic prerogative) in this city as the given farcical evil it is. He plays a game with the NIMBYs and developers, and they play their roles as well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:27 PM
you know where I'll be

Back to the Mayoral Election

So anybody else here warming up to Willie Wilson after seeing his first couple tv commercials?

W. T. F.

I rewound each of them and laughed, and laughed and laughed...........I'm not exaggerating, this guy should be poised to get some national press, comic relief variety.....

Old Posted Feb 3, 2015, 11:31 PM
you know where I'll be

So, who wants to bet against the Feb. Plan Commission meeting having a very light agenda?

And, depending on how many/which wards go to aldermanic run-off, the next few months may be on the lighter side as well........although as I type this, does anyone know if O'Reilly has any remotely credible 42nd competition? I haven't been following the races out in da wards too much at all. Same topic, anyone know if Dowell has any meaningful competition in the new 3rd??

Good timing to get back in the business of pushing major projects through entitlement starting early this summer, as the 12 to 18 months beginning then will be critical to getting projects approved in reasonable time for construction start while the development 'gettin' is still good this cycle......

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 4, 2015 at 4:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 1:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
So anybody else here warming up to Willie Wilson after seeing his first couple tv commercials?

W. T. F.

I rewound each of them and laughed, and laughed and laughed...........I'm not exaggerating, this guy should be poised to get some national press, comic relief variety.....
Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Seems like a one issue candidate for one part of Chicago.

He can't be a real candidate. He can't speak and would have just one constituency that is declining in the hoods.

I could not imagine any other Chicagoan voting for him. Even if he got the block black vote only less than 60-70% of them could vote for him.

Obama's endorsement of Rahm took away the top 20% and he is a shoe in even if it comes to a second round. He's got way too much clout, muscle and money not to.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:27 PM
you know where I'll be

^ No, it even gets much more weird than you portray. He also has a commercial based on the reopening of Miegs Field. He's in at least some - possibly many - ways the most 'republican', ie liberal - economically, ie libertarian, ie laissez-faire forever, ie Randian (for all you guys on here that are tragically still seduced by these laughable, nonsense 'ideas', throwing this in here for you so that you realize if that's your ideology, than Dr. Wilson's the guy for you!.........in addition - special bonus to all of you guys who identify with - or think yourself - that a large part - or all - of the proverbial 'American Dream' is about picking yourself up by the bootstraps, starting a business or two or three and becoming rich!! - this is also for you) in the field. Seemingly very wealthy and self-funded as well (not exclusively, but mostly also out of the Republican playbook). And, it's not just that he has only a seventh grade education, but moreso the actual appearance of Dr. Wilson only having a seventh grade education. I mean, I realize CPS has long been a national embarrassment and all (CORRECTION: Dr. Wilson received his formal education in Louisiana, but that begs the question: What's the real difference between a CPS education and one obtained in the Deep South?), but to read some of his answers to candidate questionnaires, watch the forums/debates - including reading accounts of them - and watching his tv commercials, you'd actually be forgiven for being surprised to the upside that he indeed has a seventh grade education (you might assume he stopped going to school long before then). Who do you think his constituency really is? How do you decipher his views and actual motivation here.

And, Chicago being Chicago, perhaps as always the most important question:

Cui bono?

I don't overlook the likelihood that in the end it is Rahm, but the most immediate obvious answer is: "all the other candidates do!"

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 6, 2015 at 3:12 PM. Reason: Corrected to reflect Wilson grew up and went to school in his native Louisiana

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:30 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
if a stranger on the street ever asked me who i was voting for, "that's none of your business" is the only reply they would ever get from me.

No doubt. Mine would be similar, except I'd have to throw an F-Bomb and D-Bag in the sentence, as they only asked for it and it would be well-deserved....

Old Posted Feb 4, 2015, 4:33 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Same topic, anyone know if Dowell has any meaningful competition in the new 3rd??

Tacky, yes, but oh well.

So I looked quickly into Dowell's 'competition'. That was easy. Dowell it is, then!

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Feb 4, 2015 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 6:09 AM
The City

I'm watching today's debate. There is no fucking way Rahm doesn't win this. Everybody else is just so damn weak.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 2:59 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Yes, the chances of even a run-off are slipping by the day. I think it will be down to some massive screw-up for there to be a run-off at this point (I see that the city still has 200-300 pieces of rented snow removal equipment working, so he's definitely covering his ass from that flank!)

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:08 PM
The City

My take based on yesterday's debate on Chicago Tonight:

Willie Wilson: What. The. Fuck. Who is this random guy, and does he even know what a mayor's job is?

Bob Fioretti: "I realize that there aint a chance in hell that I'll win, so I might as well get some TV exposure"

"Chuy" Garcia: Probably the strongest contender among the three, but he still can't formulate an argument as to why anybody should vote for him.

I don't see a runoff happening

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 4:41 PM

OMG, Willie Wilson was so funny on the debate last night. My friend and I were laughing at everything he said.
It was funny he admitted to not riding the CTA in 10 years. Like, at least lie about it, he doesn't even know anything about the CTA and he wants to be Mayor of Chicago. lol.

He's also written a book "What Shall I do Next When I don't Know What to Do". Hahahaha!!!

http://www.amazon.com/What-Shall-Nex...ext+What+To+Do

Old Posted Feb 5, 2015, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
My take based on yesterday's debate on Chicago Tonight:

Willie Wilson: What. The. Fuck. Who is this random guy, and does he even know what a mayor's job is?

Bob Fioretti: "I realize that there aint a chance in hell that I'll win, so I might as well get some TV exposure"

"Chuy" Garcia: Probably the strongest contender among the three, but he still can't formulate an argument as to why anybody should vote for him.

I don't see a runoff happening
I completely agree, I think a runoff is unlikely at this point. Chuy's only pull is the Karen Lewis vote. Fioretti is a douche and Wilson is crazy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest