HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 12:28 AM
Show me the blueprints

It is, but considering China seems to build a city of 5 million every year or so I think we have a long ways to go.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
It is, but considering China seems to build a city of 5 million every year or so I think we have a long ways to go.
It's all relative..
For Philly, it's a major positive change from the previous decades when 30K+ houses were abandoned

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 1:52 AM
Show me the blueprints

No doubt

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 5:46 PM

Over the weekend, I decided to walk through Templetown/Cecil B. Moore to kill some time while waiting for my girlfriend. I saw a pocket park near the corner of 18th and Ingresoll Streets, which made me realize that I had taken a pic at that very spot two years ago, while I was still a Temple student.

September 2017:

December 2019:

North Philly is changing at a rate that few would've considered possible at the start of the decade!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 18, 2019, 9:20 PM

In retail news, Tiffany's is moving from the Bellevue to the old Zara spot closer to the Square. https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e2UiLk11rPXkwk With this, Rescue Spa's move to the old Barney's spot, and some other repositioning, Walnut Street retail seems to be ok (albeit Tiffany's reducing its space needs).

The article also discusses a general repositioning of the Bellevue planned by owner Nightingale but without details as Nightingale has been pretty quite about what's a planned. At Lifetime last week, a friend told me that there is a rumor that LIfetime will be gutting and taking over the Sporting Club in the Bellevue. Would take quite a bit of work to get it to Lifetime standards. It's an interesting tidbit. Not sure there is a market for 3 luxury gyms in Rittenhouse and Fitler: Lifetime, Equinox at the Laurel, and Fitler Club (members only, though). Lifetime also does co-working too, and is launching its first apartments:https://living.lifetime.life/?fbclid...AmV3CTcyWnSkNQ https://www.clubindustry.com/news/li...-starting-2020 So I wonder if a co-working, fitness, apartment plan could be in the works for the Bellevue in addition to the existing hotel component.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 6:31 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

New stuff (not all of these are approved yet):

3030 N Broad: 6 Stories 30 Units

1868 Frankford: 5 Stories 21 Units

1501 N 33rd: 4 Stories 17 Units

2157 E Lehigh: 4 Bldgs, Three 6 Stories, One 7 Story, 280 total Units

2031 Washington Ave: 6 story overbuild of two story building, 37 Units

4112 Lancaster: 4 Stories 37 Units

1201 Wood Street: 5 Stories, 5 Units!

919 Diamond: 5 Stories, 99 Units!!

1733 N 2nd: 4 floors, 12 Units

4 W Palmer: 3 Story overbuild of one story building, 14 Units

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
New stuff (not all of these are approved yet):

3030 N Broad: 6 Stories 30 Units

1868 Frankford: 5 Stories 21 Units

1501 N 33rd: 4 Stories 17 Units

2157 E Lehigh: 4 Bldgs, Three 6 Stories, One 7 Story, 280 total Units

2031 Washington Ave: 6 story overbuild of two story building, 37 Units

4112 Lancaster: 4 Stories 37 Units

1201 Wood Street: 5 Stories, 5 Units!

919 Diamond: 5 Stories, 99 Units!!

1733 N 2nd: 4 floors, 12 Units

4 W Palmer: 3 Story overbuild of one story building, 14 Units
3030 N. Broad: Wow, six stories near Broad and Clearfield?! Developers must be getting optimistic about the North Broad corridor between Lehigh and Erie, as there's a ton in the works (market-rate apartments at Broad and Indiana, a hotel at the former Beury Building, the North Station District, etc.)

1501 N 33rd: I'm glad to hear that this will finally get started soon! Brewerytown's energy just keeps on pushing north. At some point, the line of demarcation between what people consider "North Philly" and an extension of Center City is going to transition from Girard to Cecil B. Moore.

919 Diamond: This location would've shocked me a few years ago, but there's actually a lot of construction occurring north of Temple's campus and east of the SEPTA main line. A bunch of new units have popped up near 10th and Susquehanna recently. 99 units? I bet this will be student housing!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
919 Diamond: This location would've shocked me a few years ago, but there's actually a lot of construction occurring north of Temple's campus and east of the SEPTA main line. A bunch of new units have popped up near 10th and Susquehanna recently. 99 units? I bet this will be student housing!
It's also about a block from the Temple RR station. One stop to Jefferson, two stops to Suburban and three to 30th st.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 2:19 PM

Tour of Ridge Avenue - Montgomery Ave to 11th Street

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go out and take pictures of all the development happening along the Ridge Avenue corridor! On this tour, we'll start in North Philly and gradually head south.

I was initially going to start this tour at Ridge and Cecil B. Moore, but then I noticed a new building rising near Ridge and Montgomery:

Between Cecil B. Moore and Oxford:

New apartments will be rising at the corner of Ridge and Oxford very soon:

Something new will be rising between Jefferson and Master, across the street from the PHA HQ:

Ridge and Girard:

The 1700 block:

The 1600 block. Also, work has finally restarted at the large site at Ridge and Francis!

The 1500 block:

Nothing's happening on the 1400 block...yet. Let's hope that someone will sell the huge surface parking lot on the left:

Imgur is acting up right now, so I'll come back and post the pics of what I saw on the 1300, 1200, and 1100 blocks of Ridge later.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:12 PM

the new construction is great but Ridge ave still looks dead and disjointed. MOre of the existing buildings need to be rehabbed and some retail is needed. It looks strangely dead currently in spite of all the recently added structures.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 4:46 PM
Philly Pholly

Filling in the holes! Great to see. The retail will come as these properties are filled.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:27 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Of note, the large parking lot on the 1400 block of Ridge is owned by the Greater Exodus Baptist Church, so it's not likely to be going anywhere anytime soon. Nor are, by the way, the lots along the 1300 block of Ridge, which are either owned by the city or the Laborers AFAIK.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

So am I gonna be the first debbie downer and say that some of these new developments look unbelievably cheap and atrocious?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 2:06 AM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Greater Exodus/People for People put out an RFQ earlier this year for partnership in developing of their properties. I don't know what the status of it is but from what I understand there were very some interested parties.

https://econsultsolutions.com/wp-con...AL-7.18.19.pdf

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
So am I gonna be the first debbie downer and say that some of these new developments look unbelievably cheap and atrocious?
One exception to me is 1526 Parish, something not featured here. An absolutely stand out design.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9693...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:11 PM
Philly Pholly

"How FDR Park’s $200 million makeover is future-proofing ‘the lakes’"

An ambitious 10-year plan to completely revamp the busy but underfunded FDR Park is a very green new deal for South Philadelphia. It includes a 36-foot-tall hill overlooking the city, 45 acres of wetland, plenty of fields and fancy recreational areas, and multiple access points to lakes and wildlife.

But one of the plan’s priorities is to tackle a very basic necessity of the park — keeping it dry.

FDR Park

https://whyy.org/articles/how-fdr-pa...ing-the-lakes/

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
"How FDR Park’s $200 million makeover is future-proofing ‘the lakes’"

An ambitious 10-year plan to completely revamp the busy but underfunded FDR Park is a very green new deal for South Philadelphia. It includes a 36-foot-tall hill overlooking the city, 45 acres of wetland, plenty of fields and fancy recreational areas, and multiple access points to lakes and wildlife.

But one of the plan’s priorities is to tackle a very basic necessity of the park — keeping it dry.
Very cool, can they start by simply paving the roads first? Last time those things were paved had to be the Bush-era, and not W.

**Also this article was posted like 6 months ago.

Last edited by Londonee; Dec 30, 2019 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:22 PM
Philly Pholly

Sorry for the repost

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Sorry for the repost
It's OK, I just think I made the same joke when it was first posted 6months ago and I felt unoriginal.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 8:26 PM
Philly Pholly

LOL
Huge news just the same

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development