HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Although the Irish influence on the island was limited at first, they would before long leave a cultural stamp on Newfoundland life. One so distinct in fact that historian Tim Pat Coogan in his book on the Irish diaspora “wherever green is worn” opined ‘nowhere in the world outside of Ireland itself, is the Irish presence so strongly felt as in Newfoundland.

One is aware there of Irish resonances on all sides, resonances of music, personality, physiognomy and history”. This is quite a heady claim considering the mantle of most Irish place outside of Ireland has traditionally gone to perhaps Liverpool or Boston. However, the unique history of Newfoundland through its fisheries has meant that ones impression of it, such as its capital St. John’s and the Avalon Peninsula in the south-east of the island is of an overwhelming Irishness. Irish immigration to Newfoundland had been reduced to but a trickle by the time of the great famine exodus to Britain, the United States, mainland Canada, Australia and Argentina. So why then does Newfoundland still retain that peculiarly Irish character it has? The answer lies undoubtedly in the fact that the emigration from Ireland to Newfoundland was very specific.
https://www.theirishstory.com/2013/0.../#.YjeAXXpKjIU

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:01 PM

This year the Irish porch flags that appear this time of year were in some cases accompanied by...Ukrainian flags.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
This year the Irish porch flags that appear this time of year were in some cases accompanied by...Ukrainian flags.
Which at my household is ethnically correct

mrnyc, the Case Western study's Boston findings are spot-on for my dad's Irish side: Rosscommon.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 4:13 PM

Similarly to Boston, Pittsburgh/SW Pennsylvania Irish originate from all over the "Emerald Isle".

Irish Protestants from Ulster northern Ireland (counties Antrim, Donegal, Tyrone, Armagh, Down, Derry...) made up the early wave of colonial Irish immigrants in the late 1700s and settled throughout southwestern PA. Then Irish Catholics from all over the island came from the 1820s on, and turned an historically Protestant city into a Catholic one, similarly to what occurred in Boston, NY, Philadelphia, Baltimore. Though the region surrounding Pittsburgh was already "Scots-Irish" Protestant by the time Pittsburgh Irish Protestants fled to the hinterlands, since those areas were already populated by Scots-Irish settlers who moved to the frontier from the aforementioned cities.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 7:41 PM

Most "Irish ethnic" = Boston

Ireland of North America = Newfoundland

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 9:27 PM

Ain’t nobody mentioned nothin’ about no St Paddy’s day puréed coming back online none.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 1:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

so where do the most irish born people live over here today?

i got 15k in nyc in 2016 via the wiki, but i dk about more current or about anywhere else.

more fresh irish around boston maybe??

Old Posted Mar 22, 2022, 2:40 AM

Nyc

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:00 AM

Another city with strong Irish heritage is Ottawa and the surrounding Ottawa Valley region. The city was roughly 25% French Canadian and 25% Irish Catholic for the 19th century until after WWII. Of course it's become more diverse given the growth of the national capital and growth from immigration.
In the surrounding rural region Ottawa Valley English was Irish-influenced. Immigration occurred in both the pre-Famine and Famine years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Valley_English

http://bytown.net/irishcatholicswelfare.htm

Old Posted Dec 27, 2022, 8:36 PM

The most Irish places outside of Ireland, using Murphy, the most common Irish surname, as a proxy (1:61 based on percentage of the number of people with that surname in Ireland).

Newfoundland

Murphy surname 3,170 (#7)
Projected Irish origin (Murphy x 61) = 193,370 (38.4%)

Catholic: 31.8%

Merseyside (Liverpool)

Murphy surname 6,495 (#10)
Projected Irish origin 396,195 (27.8%)

Catholic (Liverpool Diocese): 27.4%

Massachusetts

Murphy surname 20,129 (#4)
Projected Irish origin 1,227,869 (17.8%)

Irish ancestry: 19.7%

Last edited by Docere; Dec 27, 2022 at 8:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Right, different from Ireland obviously. But to what extent does an Irish-American subculture exist at this point?
People of Irish ancestry (especially Irish Catholics) are generally proud of their heritage and achievements, but except for St. Patrick's Day usually don't make much of a show of it. Irish ethnic identity and pride usually doesn't reach the extent it sometimes does in people of Greek, Arab, Armenian, Italian, Jewish, Mexican, Japanese, Filipino, Vietnamese and Chinese heritage for example, in my opinion.

People of Irish ancestry, for example, usually don't go out of their way to help other people of Irish ancestry (although some do), as much as some other ethnicities do. What I term "ethnic nepotism" is fairly low among Irish (as it is among German and English-Americans), but present in some other groups, although there are exceptions.

But no hard and fast generalizations can be made. Everybody is an individual, and should be treated as an individual, not a member of a group. There are good and bad individuals in every group.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 31, 2022 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 9:39 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Happy St. Paddy's day from the (wacky) land of the Chi-rish!

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 16, 2024 at 9:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:10 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the carp are weeping.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 10:14 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
The most Irish places outside of Ireland, using Murphy, the most common Irish surname, as a proxy (1:61 based on percentage of the number of people with that surname in Ireland).

Newfoundland

Murphy surname 3,170 (#7)
Projected Irish origin (Murphy x 61) = 193,370 (38.4%)

Catholic: 31.8%

Merseyside (Liverpool)

Murphy surname 6,495 (#10)
Projected Irish origin 396,195 (27.8%)

Catholic (Liverpool Diocese): 27.4%

Massachusetts

Murphy surname 20,129 (#4)
Projected Irish origin 1,227,869 (17.8%)

Irish ancestry: 19.7%

which brings to mind, whatever became of murphys stout?
i always liked it better than guinness.
you don’t see it around anymore.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2024, 1:01 AM
Doc Love 3.0

I feel it’s close to an established fact that most white Americans all have a little bit of Irish in them. If they don’t I feel like it’s the thing to say, similar to how in the early 19th century it was fashionable to have “a little bit of Native American” mixed into your heritage.

Myself I have a bit of Irish on my father’s mother’s side but there’s Swedish as well so I’m probably on avarage a little less Irish than the average American. Haha.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhMxmubp-5Q

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions