HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:33 PM

Is anyone here actually concerned about getting SICK from covid or are people here like me, and more concerned with the major pain in the ass getting covid causes, from kids home from school, quarantine, and all the other bull shit.

My 3 year old had covid, and his health was actually like the 3rd biggest concern, after all the inconvenience, and shockingly he felt fine every day he was home from school (24 total days).

I've had covid twice (fully vaccinated) and I felt fine the entire time, didn't even miss a day of working out/exercise. Just sitting around waiting to get "sick".

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i care. somewhat because they continuing the spread and much more so because they are jacking up insurance rates for no reason. we all pay for that stupidity.
Ok, but what can we do about it? My opinion on those people couldn't be any lower, but they cannot be forced.

The US moving-average death rate is ranging from staggering 1,000-2,000 since the end of mass vaccination. Death excess in the country is getting close to 1 million. Now, 95% of those people are the ones that chose not to be vaccinated due ideological radicalism. We, as society, lose, but they'll lose more.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Ok, but what can we do about it? My opinion on those people couldn't be any lower, but they cannot be forced.

The US moving-average death rate is ranging from staggering 1,000-2,000 since the end of mass vaccination. Death excess in the country is getting close to 1 million. Now, 95% of those people are the ones that chose not to be vaccinated due ideological radicalism. We, as society, lose, but they'll lose more.

i dont care about them anymore other than the rest of us lose because they are tapping my wallet for their stupidity. and yes they can be forced. and we can do a lot. and are in fact doing a lot. the nyc mayor forced city employees to get vaxxed and what do you know? they did. for another example, as an employer i would mandate being vaxxed or lose your effing job. get out of my buildings. why does ownership and the rest of the employees have to pay for someone's obstinate stupidity during a plague? also, there are horrendous staffing issues continuing because of this nonsense. the bottom line is the time is over for compassion, so yeah i am just talking about money here.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:48 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post
Is anyone here actually concerned about getting SICK from covid or are people here like me, and more concerned with the major pain in the ass getting covid causes, from kids home from school, quarantine, and all the other bull shit.

My 3 year old had covid, and his health was actually like the 3rd biggest concern, after all the inconvenience, and shockingly he felt fine every day he was home from school (24 total days).

I've had covid twice (fully vaccinated) and I felt fine the entire time, didn't even miss a day of working out/exercise. Just sitting around waiting to get "sick".

People who don't have kids (unfortunately a lot of the posters here, yet they still demand forcing upon us their opinion on kids and COVID) don't understand this. Most of us parents aren't all that worried about our kids' health when they get COVID, most of us are concerned about our community/school's OVERREACTION to it, and all of the hell it's going to cause in our lives as we are forced to figure out child care and make work arrangements should our child need to do a worthless 10 day quarantine for an illness that is statistically not worse than most other respiratory illnesses for children.

By the way, welcome back!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:54 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago View Post

no, i am not really worried about my kids getting sick from covid.

statistically speaking, putting them in a car or letting them swim at a pool is an order of magnitude more dangerous for my kids than stupid covid is, and i definitely still put my children in cars and let them swim at pools from time to time.

it's all the other bullshit regarding kids and covid - the nonstop testing for every little sniffle or sneeze, the ever-present threat of a 2-week quarantine should they get exposed, the utter nightmare of an entire school BUILDING* or district BUILDINGS* shutting down and going back to remote "learning" for god only knows how long - that is worrisome/pain in the ass.

(*) extra emphasis on "BUILDING" for those afflicted with VSIS.

EDIT:

yeah, basically what TUP said.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:54 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

People who don't have kids (unfortunately a lot of the posters here, yet they still demand forcing upon us their opinion on kids and COVID) don't understand this. Most of us parents aren't all that worried about our kids' health when they get COVID, most of us are concerned about our community/school's OVERREACTION to it, and all of the hell it's going to cause in our lives as we are forced to figure out child care and make work arrangements should our child need to do a worthless 10 day quarantine for an illness that is statistically not worse than most other respiratory illnesses for children.
Not everybody believes that getting their back cracked will fix infectious diseases, Russell.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:

People who don't have kids (unfortunately a lot of the posters here, yet they still demand forcing upon us their opinion on kids and COVID) don't understand this. Literally like NONE of us parents are worried about our kids' health when they get COVID, most of us are concerned about our community/school's OVERREACTION to it, and all of the hell it's going to cause in our lives as we are forced to figure out child care and make work arrangements should our child need to do a worthless 10 day quarantine for an illness that is statistically not worse than most other respiratory illnesses for children.

By the way, welcome back!

once the kids are more fully vaxxed, as is happening rapidily it seems, it all goes away enough to drop the various school safety precautions.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 7:58 PM
Resu Deretsiger

^Yeah it got approved and I know California is beginning to roll it out. This seems more like a metro Chicago issue than anything, or at least they are the loudest about it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWAK View Post
^Yeah it got approved and I know California is beginning to roll it out. This seems more like a metro Chicago issue than anything, or at least they are the loudest about it.
i had a ride across the city on the subway to work today and literally heard two sets of parents taking their kids for the vax right then. that was very heartening. the kids want the vaxx and after this large group is protected it will hopefully be enough vaxxed to not have to worry about the nitwit no-vax group that has been dragging this country down.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
This seems more like a metro Chicago issue than anything
i think it's more just the coincidence that TUP and I are the exception around here in that we both currently have 5-11 year old kids enrolled in public schools.

i know eschaton does too. how many other of the regular posters in this thread are in that same boat?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:08 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i think it's more just the coincidence that TUP and I are the exception around here in that we both have 5-11 year old kids enrolled in public schools.
Investing, twister, and I'm sure there's more. Remember that list we came up with? All of them are gonna hate it too, and some might not have kids. Maybe they were all right about Chicago being the no fun/worst COVID experience. I still don't think it's actually that bad and that they were just overblowing it.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:08 PM
The City

Quote:
once the kids are more fully vaxxed, as is happening rapidily it seems, it all goes away enough to drop the various school safety precautions.
No offense intended, because I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but--My ass.....

People like you will come up with new bullshit even after that happens.

"Now all the kids are vaccinated but....gee there are still 'cases' of COVID so we better just be safe and keep those precautions until they get their booster"

Then, after the booster:

"Gee, I heard some guy in Louisiana caught COVID and died, so we better keep the precautions in place until they get the second booster against the Epsilon variant B that just emerged out of X corner of the world"

Classic goal post migration, classic shifting of standards and policy-making by the petrified minority of society

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Investing, twister, and I'm sure there's more. P.
Investing in Chicago lives in suburban Minneapolis (yeah, I know, his username is confusing)

Twister neither has kids nor does he live in Chicago (nor anywhere for that matter, he's a modern nomad).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 9, 2021 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:14 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Investing in Chicago lives in suburban Minneapolis (yeah, I know, his username is confusing)

Twister neither has kids nor does he live in Chicago (or anywhere for that matter).
They all make it seem like it, so not my fault! 10028 also

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:17 PM

What happened to "we're all in this together?" We're already talking about a move from a pandemic into an endemic phase of COVID here in the U.S. where it's mostly under control other than some occasional hot spots. Those occasional hot spots don't provide enough spread and load for the virus to mutate into more deadly forms. Everything (most of us) have done has been worth it or else we could have seen something close to 7 million deaths in the U.S. Both of my parents died of it last summer and both my sister and brother-in-law got very sick but pulled through, so I really don't take kindly to conversations about the risks and mitigation efforts being overblown.
https://www.axios.com/gottlieb-pande...0b892e6d2.html

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:25 PM
Resu Deretsiger

^Many of them are more concerned about the mask being uncomfortable than their fellow Americans getting incredibly sick or dying. You can see it in their responses for a large portion of the pandemic, and my area got hammered the hardest in California (as a percentage). The worst happened, where medical facilities were so packed that patients were turned back or sent to other counties. Thankfully the bay area had a low percentage of cases during Delta so my county could send overflow there.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:32 PM

Quote:
^ Or, to once again summarize your stance
I question your authority to criticize my stance. I think you are just ignorant on the issue (and who knows how much else).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:33 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
The problem is someone will find an excuse to move the goal posts. Oh, kids have been mostly vaccinated? Not good enough, they need their boosters before we can let up on the mask mandates and restrictions. 8 months after that. A second booster will be the new requirement. It's not about science anymore and simply refusing to relinquish power at this point. Unfortunately, those without a voice (kids) are caught in the middle.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:38 PM
Resu Deretsiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The problem is someone will find an excuse to move the goal posts. Oh, kids have been mostly vaccinated? Not good enough, they need their boosters before we can let up on the mask mandates and restrictions. 8 months after that. A second booster will be the new requirement. It's not about science anymore and simply refusing to relinquish power at this point. Unfortunately, those without a voice (kids) are caught in the middle.
The CDC determines the science, not the individual who no longer likes their science. Remember when they changed the rules for masks if a person was vaccinated? All of you loved that science, but now you guys don't like the science because you don't want a booster. Just say you hate the COVID measures now, instead of claiming that it's not science. It still is, and it's infectious disease experts determining it.
10028 knows what's up, he just says he doesn't care. None of that "it's not science!" bs.
Aaron Rodgers did the same thing, he claimed that all this stuff is not based on science. It actually is, it's just that some people don't like it anymore (or never liked it).

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
This sounds like a bridge that we can cross when kids actually get vaccinated.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions