HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:53 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
I just watched a little. Im glad he finally called everyone out and said its time to go back to the office.....downtown.....everywhere. We'll see how the populous takes it.
While it would be healthy for our downtowns, the reality is there's nothing he or anybody else can do about it. It's up to the companies and their arrangements with their workers.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
While it would be healthy for our downtowns, the reality is there's nothing he or anybody else can do about it. It's up to the companies and their arrangements with their workers.
Yep. And the workers are feisty. He should turn all that corona dough into nice tax free bonuses as an incentive!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2022, 11:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Perhaps, but hearing it from the President during the State of the Union address could have an impact. It could be the beginning of getting some of the more germaphobic types to get their head out of the sand and come to grips, if even a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 12:07 AM
你的媽媽

I guess 3 days a week is better than 0.

Quote:
Google mandates workers back to Silicon Valley, other offices from April 4

OAKLAND, Calif. (Reuters) - Alphabet Inc's Google from April 4 will require employees back about three days a week in some of its U.S., U.K. and Asia Pacific offices, its first step to end policies that allowed remote work because of COVID-19 concerns.

An internal email on Wednesday seen by Reuters told employees in the San Francisco Bay Area that "advances in prevention and treatment, the steady decline in cases we continue to see and the improved safety measures we have implemented ... now mean we can officially begin the transition to the hybrid work week."

Google joins a wave of technology and finance companies that have begun mandating a return to office. While some big employers have embraced voluntary work-from-home policies permanently, others including Google are betting that it is best to push in-person interactions among colleagues.

Google expects most employees will be in offices about three days a week, with some variance by team and role.

Everyone coming to the office must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved exemption, according to the email from John Casey, Google's vice president of global benefits. Unvaccinated workers without an exemption will be given an option to seek one or apply for permanent remote work.

Fully vaccinated workers will not have to wear masks in Bay Area offices, Casey said.

Google declined to specify the other locations returning to normal on April 4, pending formal announcements to workers at those sites.
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/g...204018917.html

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:02 AM
Dryer lint inspector

^ I have a colleague who works for Google and they were never given a definitive date so this is pretty sudden for them even though many probably though it would be pushed out indefinitely. We've always had a hard return date but at least we were given a 6 month heads up. One of my co-workers even moved away from Bay Area temporarily to save 3 grand a month on rent for the next several months. I get to stay at my house here and save a ton of $$$ until I go back out there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:22 AM
The City

Push these snowflakes off of their la-z-boys and back into the office, I say.

I’ve met some weird 20 something’s over the last few years, all of them are software types who work from home. One of them is going to do something crazy and blow up the world with a new computer virus if they don’t get laid soon

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Push these snowflakes off of their la-z-boys and back into the office, I say.

I’ve met some weird 20 something’s over the last few years, all of them are software types who work from home. One of them is going to do something crazy and blow up the world with a new computer virus if they don’t get laid soon
As soon as you move your practice from the suburbs to the Loop, move to the city and take the CTA to work. Don't be "Do as I say not as I do".

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 7:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
^ I have a colleague who works for Google and they were never given a definitive date so this is pretty sudden for them even though many probably though it would be pushed out indefinitely. We've always had a hard return date but at least we were given a 6 month heads up. One of my co-workers even moved away from Bay Area temporarily to save 3 grand a month on rent for the next several months. I get to stay at my house here and save a ton of $$$ until I go back out there.
I work in oil and gas, haven’t heard a peep from my company about going back to the office, although in my line of work I have to find a job every 3 months to a year or so. I worked for EQT when the rona started, had to work from home for them since the lockdowns happened; until my project ended in Sept of 2021 and they laid everyone off. The new company I work for, which is a law firm, had a strict 8-5 office policy where everyone had to wear suits and ties to the office everyday. I’ve been to the office once for the 6 months I’ve worked there and there’s no signs they want us back in the office. And oil and gas law firms are usually run by very Republican people. They prob figured that it saves them tons of money on computers, energy costs, coffee costs etc and will just have us stay at home indefinitely, until I get laid off soon probably.

In the jobs I do other than one that I had, they’ve all been remote though. The best gig I had I got put on some bs oil and gas lease ownership update spreadsheet project where I really only had to work 4 hours a day to get all my shit done. That year was awesome, I traveled everywhere and just worked some hours everyday at a coffee shop wherever I was. Can’t do that now as I need 3 screens to do my job and have to work about 12 hours a day as oil and gas companies have gotten insanely competitive and don’t pay brokers like they used to. Projects that were allotted 2 weeks per file, which is really what it takes to do a good job, they now want done in 30 hours. It’s insane. All I do now is fucking work.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 1:45 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
As soon as you move your practice from the suburbs to the Loop, move to the city and take the CTA to work. Don't be "Do as I say not as I do".
Uhh, I don’t have a “practice”, genius. Like most people in my profession, I am employed and work where I am told to work.

And either way, I do not, and never have, worked from home. I actually have to shower, shave, wear nice clothes, and travel to a workplace. It’s what professionals do

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Uhh, I don’t have a “practice”, genius. Like most people in my profession, I am employed and work where I am told to work.

And either way, I do not, and never have, worked from home. I actually have to shower, shave, wear nice clothes, and travel to a workplace. It’s what professionals do
It's what your profession does. Computer virus boy can likely accomplish more before 10 am wearing his sweatpants on the couch than most of us do in a week.

Except for getting laid of course, but I'm sure the sex robots will take care of that in the next decade.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:19 PM
The City

^ Good point

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post

Except for getting laid of course, but I'm sure the sex robots will take care of that in the next decade.

Source: https://derpibooru.org/images/253692

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
It's what your profession does. Computer virus boy can likely accomplish more before 10 am wearing his sweatpants on the couch than most of us do in a week.

you people really are jealous or have some sort of unresolved issue with people that get to work from home. You don't like that people work remote then bring up sex. wtf

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:

you really screwed up choosing your profession!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
you people really are jealous or have some sort of unresolved issue with people that get to work from home. You don't like that people work remote then bring up sex. wtf
You missed the entire point.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:24 PM
The City

^ Yeah, the problem with the WFH people is that they don't actually meet eachother, so they aren't aware of the dysfunction. I do. Some of them are seriously scary

To be fair, most of them are well adjusted (if a bit unkept), as they lived a life pre-COVID and so have some concept of what it is like to spend a day around other humans. But some of these newer people into the workforce.........

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I work in oil and gas, haven’t heard a peep from my company about going back to the office, although in my line of work I have to find a job every 3 months to a year or so. I worked for EQT when the rona started, had to work from home for them since the lockdowns happened; until my project ended in Sept of 2021 and they laid everyone off. The new company I work for, which is a law firm, had a strict 8-5 office policy where everyone had to wear suits and ties to the office everyday. I’ve been to the office once for the 6 months I’ve worked there and there’s no signs they want us back in the office. And oil and gas law firms are usually run by very Republican people. They prob figured that it saves them tons of money on computers, energy costs, coffee costs etc and will just have us stay at home indefinitely, until I get laid off soon probably.

In the jobs I do other than one that I had, they’ve all been remote though. The best gig I had I got put on some bs oil and gas lease ownership update spreadsheet project where I really only had to work 4 hours a day to get all my shit done. That year was awesome, I traveled everywhere and just worked some hours everyday at a coffee shop wherever I was. Can’t do that now as I need 3 screens to do my job and have to work about 12 hours a day as oil and gas companies have gotten insanely competitive and don’t pay brokers like they used to. Projects that were allotted 2 weeks per file, which is really what it takes to do a good job, they now want done in 30 hours. It’s insane. All I do now is fucking work.
My wife works in oil and gas too but she had to go back to the office back in May of 2020. Their CEO does not believe in WFH at all. Very stodgy and old school.

As much as I am enjoying sleeping in and WFH, half the fun working in tech is the free food and funky office vibe. Plus, I don't really know my coworkers outside 30 minute zoom meetings.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:45 PM

wfh is here to stay but 100 percent remote is only going to be for a small segment of the workforce. probably gig work, contracts, global high tech will embrace it most. everyone else will go back to working next to real live ppl. hybrid schedules are definitely here to stay tho. photolith, you should look for a job in electricity. there are tons of utility jobs right now.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
wfh is here to stay but 100 percent remote is only going to be for a small segment of the workforce. probably gig work, contracts, global high tech will embrace it most. everyone else will go back to working next to real live ppl. hybrid schedules are definitely here to stay tho. photolith, you should look for a job in electricity. there are tons of utility jobs right now.
Time to invest in razor and deodorant stocks as people return to the office.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 4:53 PM

Even though I've always been for anti-Covid measures as a necessary step to reduce deaths, @the urban politician has a point.

To me it's very worrisome this introversion glorification that's been a thing even before Covid. We're social beings and it's a very social skills are very incredibly important for our survival as both individuals and societies.

So, yes, know how to deal with other people, even if you don't like, it's a positive trait and should be encourage.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions