HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:32 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Only issue of late is as crime has spiked, the reputation has gone down a little. There's a reason though why lower cost metro like Chicago and Philadelphia have increased for this population. Housing costs play a big role.
well, that’s far from an issue unique to Chicago. Crime and job losses, etc are pretty much spiking everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
7K+ Chinese moving to our nations capital basically is very interesting.
It's not anymore weird than any other large metro area and large economic area. Unless you think everyone is a "spy" which i then implore you to actually learn who is coming and staying in this country because its been their dream to live and work in America. Luckily I have my wife and her friends (and some coworkers) to actually show me these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
well, that’s far from an issue unique to Chicago. Crime and job losses, etc are pretty much spiking everywhere.
Oh completely. Just saying thats one of the ideas now. There's really only a few cities in America that people in China know about. Mainly NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, DC, Las Vegas, and maybe Houston. They don't know what St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, Memphis, Atlanta, etc is. Hell, a lot have never even heard of Miami. Their Miami is like Sanya or Haiku. Have most Americans heard of Sanya or Haikou? Nope. Their version of a Baltimore or St. Louis are small cities many people in China have never even heard of.

But also NYC with some lately has been getting a bad rap. During the beginning of the protesting, looting, etc my wife's grandpa (around 90 years old) told us to stay away from crowds in nyc because "you could be shot for no reason."

When i was in China in January, he just straight up said "everyone has a gun in America and you will get shot randomly for no reason." Thats the stereotype at least but it's based on media perception. And the stereotype is not just in Chicago, its literally everywhere...but they see Chicago as a city where it could happen the most of anywhere. And as a result, some people in China have also developed racial bias against certain groups of people in America as they draw their own conclusions about things.

Kind of a mess but yeah. They really only know about a handful of cities. Stereotype is that Chicago and NYC are full of crime (but also business and $$), LA has movie stars everywhere, SF has Mark Zuckerberg's wife, Houston is where Yao Ming was, DC has the government and Vegas is where you gamble. The average person doesn't really know of cities outside of those.

With that being said, the bad stereotypes are my wife's parents and grandparents generation. The younger generations have a dream of studying in America, staying here, and working in America. They know better as they actually live in various cities in America and know more of the reality as opposed to others back home getting their news from media. A handful of friends of my wife's had to go back after awhile due to visa issues. Although they like their country and have no problem living there, I get the sense that they all wanted to continue working here for as long as they could. My wife is really close with her parents and talks to them nearly everyday (thru WeChat - text and video chat) and even that is not enough to make her want to move back. The prospect of living and working in America even outweighs that for her.

Last edited by marothisu; Sep 20, 2020 at 4:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 4:49 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I've seen chatter on whether it can handle it. Quite literally Chicago is in the top 3 cities in America lately for people from China. The born in China population growth in the city proper alone will end up being around +20,000 between 2010 and mid 2020, potentially more.
Will be interesting to see if the 2021 ward remap results in an Asian alderman. It was awesome a few years ago when Theresa Mah was elected to serve in Springfield. The Asian growth numbers are not like the flood of Mexicans in the 1970s and 80s that resulted in Chicago becoming 1/3 Latino, but still very impressive.

We should have had an Asian alderman long ago, if not for the Daley clan gerrymandering Bridgeport, Canaryville, and University Village into a single north-south ward to maintain white control (vs the multi-ethnic 25th Ward which represents Latino, Asian and Black residents). It's the old machine trying to hang onto its symbolic heart. You could just as easily redraw the 11th Ward to go east-west from Chinatown to north McKinley Park and potentially end up with an Asian majority. Canaryville would probably end up in a Black or Latino ward - I'm sure the residents would love that...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Will be interesting to see if the 2021 ward remap results in an Asian alderman. It was awesome a few years ago when Theresa Mah was elected to serve in Springfield. The Asian growth numbers are not like the flood of Mexicans in the 1970s and 80s that resulted in Chicago becoming 1/3 Latino, but still very impressive.

We should have had an Asian alderman long ago, if not for the Daley clan gerrymandering Bridgeport, Canaryville, and University Village into a single north-south ward to maintain white control (vs the multi-ethnic 25th Ward which represents Latino, Asian and Black residents). It's the old machine trying to hang onto its symbolic heart. You could just as easily redraw the 11th Ward to go east-west from Chinatown to north McKinley Park and potentially end up with an Asian majority. Canaryville would probably end up in a Black or Latino ward - I'm sure the residents would love that...
Definitely not the same as the flood of Mexicans a handful of decades ago, but still lately it's a little impressive. I think that flood happened mainly in LA, SF, and NYC for the Chinese population in the last decade. However, it looks as if in the last few years it's shifting to cities like Chicago.

I had read that Mah is trying to get a high school again for Chinatown. With the expanding population, it would actually make it even easier to continue to attract Chinese families to Chicago. As my wife, her friends, and my in laws tell me in America, Chicago is more of an ideal city for them than a place like NYC is from the actual living perspective. More green space, cleaner, etc - more akin to the 'new' middle/upper class China in cities whereas NYC - less space, less green space, and dirtier is more akin to the "old" China that they are basically trying to erase and get away from. The cities with a bunch of middle/upper class money like Shanghai have done everything in their power to basically tear down the "old" China (which is what Americans think these cities look like even though they don't any longer). In a way, it's a bit similar to the American middle class in the 1950s and 1960s exploding and wanting nicer living arrangements. Not the same, but in a way..similar. Make more money, live in less cramped places that are cleaner, send kids to good schools and send them off to college, get a good job, many people wanting more green space, etc.

Still a lot of room for Chicago to grow in these ways but at least it's been doing a good job. In 2018, Bridgeport was nearly 40% Asian, while McKinley Park was 25%, and Brighton Park was 8%. Archer Heights now 5%. We'll find out in a few months with the 5 year ACS what those are now but guaranteed to be more. Brighton Park is probably at least 12% now and I'm guessing Archer Heights nearing in on 10% now. The gerrymandering thing here is quite interesting..

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:36 PM

Spy? While i am sure there IS some of that going on, everybody does it , my point was more just that I think it strange so many would be going to Fairfax instead of other major cities. I know the area has boomed but i would think other spots would be higher on the list is all.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Spy? While i am sure there IS some of that going on, everybody does it , my point was more just that I think it strange so many would be going to Fairfax instead of other major cities. I know the area has boomed but i would think other spots would be higher on the list is all.
It is Fairfax County so it's places like Herndon, McLean,, Reston, Vienna,, Tysons, etc. Pretty sure there's a lot of tech and engineering in those places.. Makes sense to me.

Last edited by marothisu; Sep 21, 2020 at 2:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 5:32 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Still a lot of room for Chicago to grow in these ways but at least it's been doing a good job. In 2018, Bridgeport was nearly 40% Asian, while McKinley Park was 25%, and Brighton Park was 8%. Archer Heights now 5%. We'll find out in a few months with the 5 year ACS what those are now but guaranteed to be more. Brighton Park is probably at least 12% now and I'm guessing Archer Heights nearing in on 10% now. The gerrymandering thing here is quite interesting..
This is a good point, even with new boundaries I'm not sure the Chinese community would form a majority since they are diluted in each of these areas except Chinatown itself (aka Armour Square).

Side note, Bridgeport is really a fascinating community, probably the most diverse neighborhood in the city (in the true sense of diverse). Large Asian community, Mexican community, white ethnics including both Irish and Italian communities and plenty of hipsters as well, even a small Black community thanks to CHA Bridgeport Homes.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:27 PM
BANNED

I have never been there but its sad to lose such an long running restaurant.

https://chicago.eater.com/2020/9/21/...rus-steakhouse

Lawry’s to Close Historic Downtown Chicago Steakhouse After 46 Years
Lawry’s The Prime Rib will close at the end of the year

by Naomi Waxman Sep 21, 2020, 12:16pm CDT

Lawry’s the Prime Rib will permanently close at the end of 2020 after nearly half a century of serving downtown diners on Ontario Street. Lawry’s Inc CEO Ryan Wilson told the Tribune that the closure is a result of a lease expiration, the pandemic, and recent protests and vandalism downtown. The steakhouse’s neighboring gastropub, SideDoor, will also shutter. More than 100 employees were reportedly informed on Saturday.

This one too

https://www.wsj.com/articles/grand-c...ms-11600767000

Grand Chicago Hotel in Foreclosure, a Symbol of Covid-19’s Toll on Hospitality Industry

Thor Equities, owner of the Palmer House Hilton, is in default on its $333.2 million first mortgage, court papers say

By Peter Grant
Sept. 22, 2020 5:30 am ET

The Palmer House Hilton has been one of Chicago’s grandest hotels for more than a century. Charles Dickens and Oscar Wilde were guests. Frank Sinatra serenaded diners at its supper club. Over the past 15 years, the owner spent $173 million to overhaul the hotel, modernizing most of the 1,641 rooms.

But today, the property faces a bank foreclosure and has become one of the most potent symbols of the troubled hospitality industry during Covid-19.

Wells...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 7:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^^^Lawry's was great, as was Side Door. Sad to see these closings....which in the grand scheme of things was most probably preventable.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
^^^Lawry's was great, as was Side Door. Sad to see these closings....which in the grand scheme of things was most probably preventable.
I loved Lawry's.

One of the

best

prime

rib

dinners

ever......

Friggin A this is a loss. I used to sit up at the bar during the holiday season (when my wife and kids were in California visiting in laws) and just order a few drinks and get the prime rib dinner. One of the meals I always looked forward to.

I hope they come back!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:04 PM

the prime rib or the wife and kids? aaaayyooooooo

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:29 PM
The City

Quote:
the prime rib or the wife and kids? aaaayyooooooo
Don't make me choose...

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:40 PM
TL;DR

Interesting, I wonder if they will shop the Lawry's building as a highrise site.

It is historic and probably landmark-worthy... was originally the McCormick Mansion. Eventually it became the Kungsholm Restaurant/Puppet Theater and they buried the mansion behind a new addition that filled out the lot to the street. The current stone facade was created for Kungsholm. When Lawry's took over, they demolished the 2nd story of the old mansion which used to stick up above the roof.

https://lawrysalacart.com/2014/04/01...orful-history/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:34 AM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/corona...274-story.html

Citing a downward trend in COVID-19 cases, Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot says she’s easing restrictions on indoor bars, restaurants, fitness class sizes: ‘People have risen to the occasion’

By Gregory Pratt, John Byrne, Josh Noel and Grace Wong

Chicago Tribune |

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:11 PM

All summer long, Chicagoans were told to stay outside, socially distance themselves and wear masks to help slow the spread of the coronavirus, with Mayor Lori Lightfoot playing the stern disciplinarian making sure everyone complied.

Now, with the cold months bearing down on the city, Lightfoot is loosening the pandemic rules to welcome more people to get together inside bars and other businesses.

The science shows it’s an appropriate move, Lightfoot argued Monday in announcing bars that don’t serve food can reopen for indoor drinking and restaurants, gyms and other retailers can up their capacity.

The changes are Lightfoot’s latest attempt to ease the financial burden on Chicago businesses by lifting frequently criticized restrictions.

On Monday, the mayor defended the decision. She eased up on the no-nonsense pose she has struck over the past several months of frequently scolding residents for falling short in meeting the safety standards to instead applaud the collective effort she said makes it possible to now let more Chicagoans safely gather together inside.

“Over the past six months, we’ve had to make difficult decisions, as you all know, all of which were rooted in what we were seeing in our city’s COVID-19 data,” Lightfoot said. “Asking residents and workers and businesses to make a lot of sacrifices in the name of public safety and public health.

“And people have risen to the occasion all over the city. It’s because of this citywide cooperation and collaboration that Chicago never saw a huge surge in cases once we started to gently reopen.”

Lightfoot has been eager to showcase Chicago as America’s most open big city during the pandemic, while also pledging to heed scientific advice on how much leeway to give businesses and other public places where people congregate.

Ultimately, he said, the looser restrictions are heartening.

“We’re moving in the right direction,” Williams said.

Monday’s announcement keeps the city in phase four of its reopening framework but moderates several standards.

Starting Thursday, the city will allow shaves, facials and other personal services that previously were banned because they required the removal of face masks, but said they need to take no longer than 15 minutes.

With Chicago weather getting dodgier deeper into autumn, the city’s hundreds of bar operators have been clamoring to again open their doors to drinkers, arguing the distinction between those businesses that serve food and those that don’t is in many cases not relevant.

According to Lightfoot’s plan, ... “turn up the dimmer switch” on a return to normal within phase four.

The Illinois Restaurant Association praised Lightfoot’s announcement, as did the Hospitality Business Association of Chicago.

Scott Weiner, co-owner of The Fifty/50 restaurant group and an Illinois Restaurant Association executive board member, said the relaxed restrictions will greatly benefit bars and restaurants,...

“This is important, this is definitely a positive step in the right direction and this is going to help a lot of neighborhood restaurants,” Weiner said.

Increased hours of operation make a big difference, he said, but he wished this news came a month earlier, …

And Pat Odon, manager of Nisei Lounge in Wrigleyville, praised the move allowing bars to serve alcohol until 1 a.m., instead of 11 p.m.

“That’s huge,” Odon said. “That’s a whole extra turn of customers.”

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 29, 2020 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:52 PM

Edit

Last edited by Rizzo; Jan 15, 2021 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 3:12 AM
BANNED

https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/in...rting-saturday

Indoor dining expected to be allowed in Chicago starting Saturday

By Sun-Times Media Wire

|Published 9 hours ago

Chicago museums to reopen, indoor dining could resume in ‘a few days’

With COVID-19 restrictions loosening up in Chicago, places like the Shedd Aquarium are getting ready to re-open their doors. Also, indoor dining at restaurants could resume in just a matter of days.

CHICAGO - Customers will be allowed back inside of bars and restaurants in Chicago and suburban Cook County beginning Saturday, provided coronavirus infection rates stay down.

The city and Cook County will move from Tier 2 to Tier 1 of Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s COVID-19 mitigation plan as long as metrics continue to improve or stay the same, according to the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
yeah, a great start but definitely more fundamental work to do. I feel like currently there is a very specific type of person who would live in the Loop (transient, white-collar, somewhat anti-social), and a lot of that growth has been from that demographic. If there's any hope of it being an actual neighborhood one day, a major step is even losing the local stigma as a lame place to live for people who don't know any better.
My wife and I are looking forward to moving into the Loop very soon--maybe in Spring. We aren't terribly transient or anti-social but guilty-as-charged to the white collaredness. When we become semi-retired in a few years we want to live steps away from the Art Institute, Symphony, Riverwalk, Millenium Park, Museum Campus, lakefront, Architecture Center, Newberry Library, Cultural Center, Lyric Opera, theatres... Without thinking of it as a retirement community, we think it will feed a very active leisure/cultural niche that can't be met anywhere else in the US--maybe the world. We've lived all over the world (hmm...maybe we are transient) and when thinking about ridiculously easy access to a high quality of cultural life, the Loop seems unbeatable. That said, we have another place where we'll spend winter months--we're enthusiastic, not masochistic.
Obviously we hope for a recovery of business and a vibrant restaurant/bar/entertainment scene, but the cultural institutions and topography aren't going anywhere.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:12 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

I finally caught Chicago from the Air on WTTW Prime tonight. Hopefully you've all seen it! Lots if interesting tidbits. Fun that my building has a brief cameo .

https://interactive.wttw.com/chicago-from-the-air/watch

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 4:28 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
I know we can't really compare to NYC anymore, but Grand Hyatt redevelopment came out with their design today. It looks amazing, something like the Thompson Center location could use, and with a 500-key hotel on top. Wish we had some grander aspirations and more of this instead of 5.5 simultaneous mega-developments trying to get traction and coming up short of inspiring.

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=760
Comparing to NYC is unfair due to obvious reasons, Chicago is still killing it.

I wonder how likely a supertall is for the Thompson Center, if not, what would they put there? A boring 500 footer? Seems like a waste of a good site.

Quote:
There's an 1,100 footer under construction right now and a 1,400 very likely to be built. Chicago is doing just fine in the skyscraper department
Yea (more like 1200 and it's not UC anymore). This is one of the best cycles in the city's history though, and "very likely" seems optimistic but we shall see. If we get lucky there's also a (potentially taller) Parcel I and maybe the second NEMA tower. Throw One Central in there and Chicago could have 10 supertalls by roof alone in 10-15 years, not to mention all of the other tall but not 300+ projects.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
My wife and I are looking forward to moving into the Loop very soon--maybe in Spring. We aren't terribly transient or anti-social but guilty-as-charged to the white collaredness. When we become semi-retired in a few years we want to live steps away from the Art Institute, Symphony, Riverwalk, Millenium Park, Museum Campus, lakefront, Architecture Center, Newberry Library, Cultural Center, Lyric Opera, theatres... Without thinking of it as a retirement community, we think it will feed a very active leisure/cultural niche that can't be met anywhere else in the US--maybe the world. We've lived all over the world (hmm...maybe we are transient) and when thinking about ridiculously easy access to a high quality of cultural life, the Loop seems unbeatable. That said, we have another place where we'll spend winter months--we're enthusiastic, not masochistic.
Obviously we hope for a recovery of business and a vibrant restaurant/bar/entertainment scene, but the cultural institutions and topography aren't going anywhere.
Thank you for your response and helping me realize there are definitely other demographics I hadn't fully considered. I'm very happy you chose to to move to the Loop and it sounds like a dream "retirement community" to me - especially considering the community/campus where my grandma lives in NJ.

However, you also seemed to prove my point... being a snow bird you are most definitely transient and admittedly white collar. And not trying to gatekeep or anything, but retirees weren't exactly the social scene I imagined to make the Loop a desirable place to live for other Chicagoans (or anyone except other retirees, really). So while you may not be anti-social, you're probably not the type of social that the Loop needs to draw other residents and keep trendy establishments in business - especially on a (presumably) fixed income.

From a demographic perspective, I hope the Loop can continue its effort to appeal to the residents currently being drawn to West Loop, River North, Old Town, Wicker/Bucktown, and even Pilsen. That being said, undoubtedly you and your wife sound like a net addition to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest