HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 3, 2024, 7:10 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonBoyInToronto View Post
Got the keys to our new unit in this building on Thursday ! its actually very cute inside ...we are happy !

Does anyone know if the small red brick building next door will be demolished ? Its the one facing Ferguson (opposite side of this picture)
The circle studios one? That one's beautiful! Why would you want it demolished???

Next they're gonna wanna demolish the black forest inn or something...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
The circle studios one? That one's beautiful! Why would you want it demolished???

Next they're gonna wanna demolish the black forest inn or something...
I didn't see anything in that post that said that's what was wanted. Just "if".

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:09 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
I didn't see anything in that post that said that's what was wanted. Just "if".
But why even bring that up unless you have some sort of desire to see it removed..? There seems to be an undercurrent of people here who want to destroy every single historical building and put cookie cutter boxes in their place - most other places destroyed their downtowns in the 80s doing just that and now their downtowns are characterless, soulless and boring feeling - let's seek to preserve ours as much as possible..

I mean I am all for knocking down boring 1 story places that offer no architectural value don't get me wrong - but the 3-6 story ones that have been here 100-200 years, let's seek to preserve those - look at how beautiful the stretch of king is along here with all the rowhouses - granted many have had their pediments stripped or fallen off and could use a bit of tlc but it's still a beautiful feeling to have them on both sides - it's a very walkable feeling.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Didn't know you had a unit in there. Congrats! And welcome back to Hamilton, time to update your username!
Thank you ! I've been back in Hamilton for 7 years now ... bought a house next to Gage park with my partner. This is a little bonus space for us

dont even know how to change my name ... or post pics! And i have a ton of pics from all over the city .... i have a business that requires me going into all of the highrises around the city so ive been taking advantage of the views !

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
But why even bring that up unless you have some sort of desire to see it removed..? There seems to be an undercurrent of people here who want to destroy every single historical building and put cookie cutter boxes in their place - most other places destroyed their downtowns in the 80s doing just that and now their downtowns are characterless, soulless and boring feeling - let's seek to preserve ours as much as possible..

I mean I am all for knocking down boring 1 story places that offer no architectural value don't get me wrong - but the 3-6 story ones that have been here 100-200 years, let's seek to preserve those - look at how beautiful the stretch of king is along here with all the rowhouses - granted many have had their pediments stripped or fallen off and could use a bit of tlc but it's still a beautiful feeling to have them on both sides - it's a very walkable feeling.

Brought it up because the building manager said something to that effect when we went in for our PDI .... just a question... not an undercurrent lol

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:21 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Thank you ! I've been back in Hamilton for 7 years now ... bought a house next to Gage park with my partner. This is a little bonus space for us

dont even know how to change my name ... or post pics! And i have a ton of pics from all over the city .... i have a business that requires me going into all of the highrises around the city so ive been taking advantage of the views !
Very nice! If you want to change your username, you can go to the forum issues section of the (general) forum, and there's a stickied thread up top.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 10:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

Most of us upload images to imgur and then paste the links into here - unlike the toronto forums there is no way to directly upload images here.

Also good on the no undercurrent, but bad on someone looking to demolish more history, as that one seems to have actually been upkept pretty well, at least on the outside.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton