HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:55 PM

Yeah, it's kind of ironic that there's probably many that the transit system could have helped stay in Austin (either due to less transportation expenses or due to more higher density residential that transit enables) that got pushed out and can't vote for it.

The alternative would have been a more regional funding measure, but that risks a lot of suburban NO votes as well.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:57 PM
World Traveler

I personally think it's good that the suburbs aren't voting for it this time around. While many of my friends in the suburbs support it on principle (because it's a good idea), there are a lot of voices opposed to it because of the dollar amount that they see and the interesting op-eds written in opposition to it which are curiously void of facts.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:00 PM

I’m just over the line in Williamson Co and would’ve voted twice for A and B. I wish I had a say — it’ll end up affecting the whole metro area for sure.

From my middling attempts to follow the politics, it would seem at least A has a pretty solid chance of passing. Is there a reason to be more skeptical of its success?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:31 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I’m just over the line in Williamson Co and would’ve voted twice for A and B. I wish I had a say — it’ll end up affecting the whole metro area for sure.

From my middling attempts to follow the politics, it would seem at least A has a pretty solid chance of passing. Is there a reason to be more skeptical of its success?
I would say the skepticism is largely based on misinformation that is spreading about the cost and impact of said plan passing on the common folks who wouldn't use it. Many people can't wrap their minds around the fact that quality transit benefits them (and the entire metro) whether or not they use it themselves.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I have a lot of friends who want to vote for Prop A but can't based on where they live if it's any consolation.
My heart is warmed this cool morning at the thought of some imaginary person who lives just outside the city and is absolutely livid that they can't vote against both props. There's probably more of them than there are people like your friend.

Gonna be a nervous wreck today. I still think Prop A passes, though probably in a 50%+1 style squeaker.

Some statistics (lies?) I'm telling myself today:

Per the Targetsmart Travis County numbers:
  • Young voter turnout in 2020 is already at historic levels as of the end of early voting
  • Election day turnout among young voters in 2016 and 2018 was significant enough to raise the final vote several percentage points higher for the 18-29 and 30-39 age brackets. In 2016 those brackets ended up with a final vote 3 percent higher than during early voting. In 2018 they ended up 2.5% higher. The corresponding drops mostly came from the 50-64 age group.
  • One assumes that even in high enthusiasm years like this, with historically high young voter engagement, young people are still proportionally more likely to have procrastinated so their turnout is likely to increase relative to the total as in 2016 and 2018.
  • Young people like trains
  • People are seriously underestimating soccer supporter groups as a political force to be reckoned with. In Portland, Seattle, and other comparable MLS cities they are reliably loud and well-organized groups of progressives. Both major supporters groups in Austin have been campaigning for Prop A and B, even before the stadium station rendering. Once the team gets going they may end up a reliable counterpoint to traditional neighborhood associations and ANC groups, with a much larger audience than DSA-types.
  • Central Austin, NIMBY HQ, still voted in favor of a bad 2014 rail plan, even one that didn't necessarily serve their neighborhoods. This is a good one that will directly serve their neighborhoods and many others.
  • In 2018 Austinites overwhelmingly approved an affordable housing bond that I thought had little chance. Even Wilco and Hays Co Austinites voted overwhelmingly in favor (2-1). It was small dollars, but still.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:50 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
My heart is warmed this cool morning at the thought of some imaginary person who lives just outside the city and is absolutely livid that they can't vote against both props. There's probably more of them than there are people like your friend.
Haha, I'm glad this warms your heart.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I would say the skepticism is largely based on misinformation that is spreading about the cost and impact of said plan
Yeah, for me I'm nervous because of the ads(lies) from Dark Money Voices of Austin that I keep getting served (on this site and others).

You know, the ones that say "rents are going increase 26% because of prop A" and the like.

It seems like they decided to go with the "big lie" and just be so outrageously false that some people may decide that the "truth is in the middle" or something.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:05 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Yeah, for me I'm nervous because of the ads(lies) from Dark Money Voices of Austin that I keep getting served (on this site and others).

You know, the ones that say "rents are going increase 26% because of prop A" and the like.

It seems like they decided to go with the "big lie" and just be so outrageously false that some people may decide that the "truth is in the middle" or something.
It is amazing to me that this type of communication has no consequences. I suppose that's a slippery slope with free speech and all...but still, super annoying and frustrating.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:

Fucking Ora Houston had the dumbest Anti Prop A post for Voices of Austin I've seen which isn't surprising. She didn't disclose Voice of Austin was paid 10k by the Anti PAC either.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Fucking Ora Houston had the dumbest Anti Prop A post for Voices of Austin I've seen which isn't surprising. She didn't disclose Voice of Austin was paid 10k by the Anti PAC either.
All-time worst city council member in modern Austin history, probably for a long time to come. Even Don Zimmerman had a consistent and rational logic to his votes and positions. She was inconsistent, unprepared, illogical, just awful.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:

Will be interesting to see what kind of real world reach misinformation has for this specific issue. I like to think we’re starting to see the limitations of misinfo, especially where people’s real life experience is strong enough, and contradictory enough. People may decide Something Must Be Done regardless of cost... it will depend on how dire the electorate’s read of the traffic situation really is.

Anyway, a dude can hope at least ....

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
All-time worst city council member in modern Austin history, probably for a long time to come. Even Don Zimmerman had a consistent and rational logic to his votes and positions. She was inconsistent, unprepared, illogical, just awful.
All of this is correct.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:29 AM

Prop A passed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
Prop A passed.
Both Did. Glad I was so wrong about it.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:45 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

I was confident about it. My hood has an excellent track record as a good barometer for props and it was no different this time.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:51 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Prop A passed? I love you guys

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 2:10 AM

Damn! What a nice surprise for me because I thought it would go down in flames.

Since I don't keep up with transportation issues as much as several posters here, is Prop A still only a maybe because it needs a certain amount of Federal dollars to get built as proposed?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 3:42 AM

A good day for Austin, and therefore the world. Or something like that.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 4:12 AM
Voice of the Modern World

A few weeks ago I said in this thread that Austin will have to prove itself to be more progressive than Nashville in the polls by passing Project Connect. Essentially voting to do what Nashville overwhelmingly rejected.

Congrats guys, you've proven your mettle and met my lofty expectations! You're definitely far more progressive than Nashville. Bring on the subway in downtown baby! Not gonna lie, the renderings make Austin future LRT look so sleek and pretty. I wanted it to get build and it seems so did Austin!

Last edited by N90; Nov 4, 2020 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 4:15 AM

B also passed, fwiw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin