HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 12:54 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe there are a couple of Richardson Building likenesses in Toronto and Dallas. Same architect if I remember right.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Really... now I'm curious.
It’s called the BOK Tower. Read about it here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Tower

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:34 PM

Also the CBS HQ in NYC.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe there are a couple of Richardson Building likenesses in Toronto and Dallas. Same architect if I remember right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepish View Post
Also the CBS HQ in NYC.
Yes, that's the Richardson Building clone. I remember going to the temporary MoMA some years back and it was the weirdest experience seeing that building across the street, practically a darker-hued twin of the Richardson Building. The resemblance is stark throughout, but especially at ground level.

There is no way that Smith Carter didn't take an awful lot of cues from Saarinen's work.

Here's the architectural model for the CBS Tower, you can definitely see the resemblance.

I think there is also another Richardson Building twin in Montreal, not nearly as close as CBS but still fairly similar.

*500 Place d'Armes is the one I'm thinking of. If CBS is a twin, then that one is a half-sibling to the Richardson Building.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
It’s called the BOK Tower. Read about it here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BOK_Tower
Fascinating, thanks for that. I was familiar with the tower but not the backstory, that's very interesting. Makes me appreciate the tower even more.

I've never been to Tulsa but they really do have some show stopping landmarks for a less prominent city. That tower is one of them (a 667 foot tower in a metro that had maybe 600,000 people in 1976 would have been quite a sight). Another one that comes to mind is the Cesar Pelli-designed BOK Centre arena. Early on in the Jets 2.0 days their ECHL affiliate played there... must have been a rare example, possibly the only example, of a ECHL team having a much nicer and bigger arena than their NHL parent!

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:41 PM

Thanks Esquire. Fair to say the Richardsons and Smith Carter were influenced heavily (that's being generous!) considering their building went up 3 years AFTER CBS was completed. Oh well... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. - Oscar Wilde.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:45 PM

Interesting thanks Esquire, I had no idea about the CBS Tower.

The Richardson Building is my favourite tower in Winnipeg. So timeless and elegant in a way.

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 2:47 PM

I was told once by someone who would actually know that the Centennial Concert Hall has a twin somewhere in the US. I can't seem to find it, though

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:08 PM
What could go wrong?

One Main Place - Dallas

It's thin and wide - not square.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 27, 2022, 7:10 PM
What could go wrong?

another....

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There is an identical one in Manhattan, however it’s black concrete. I presumed it’s the same architect.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 12:36 PM

That is the CBS tower (referenced above). Different architect, and finished 3 years prior to Richardson bldg. Other than the colour. and a few extra levels, the buildings are identical.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 4:01 PM

Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. 😉

What's the name of this proposal? Where's the location? Is there a web address? When I first saw this posted I was amazed that something like this is being considered for downtown Winnipeg.

Maybe it's time to start a dedicated Forum topic for this project?

Personally, I love everything about it. Its height, bulk, multifaceted design, floor detailing, the dramatic overhang up top, even its color scheme. Retro space-age style. It's something one expects in cities like Dallas and Manhattan.

We need to get this built. 😜 Just saying.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 4:43 PM

I've seen better designs on SimCity.. this is a horrible design and Winnipeg deserves better ...just my opinion.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 5:25 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanotaux View Post
Hi guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. 😉

What's the name of this proposal? Where's the location? Is there a web address? When I first saw this posted I was amazed that something like this is being considered for downtown Winnipeg.

Maybe it's time to start a dedicated Forum topic for this project?

Personally, I love everything about it. Its height, bulk, multifaceted design, floor detailing, the dramatic overhang up top, even its color scheme. Retro space-age style. It's something one expects in cities like Dallas and Manhattan.

We need to get this built. 😜 Just saying.

St regise hotel site.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 6:04 PM
What could go wrong?

Yes, the project is at 285 Smith St, the former St Regis hotel site. Originally proposed at 42 storeys and approximately 400 units with a 650-750 stall, 10 storey parkade. They are currently working through some details with city planning and Downtown Urban Design Review.

They are likely to start some or all of the project later this year.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 6:41 PM

Thanks @Biff.

😜

This will make a powerful statement downtown. Wish a project would actually reach 500 feet but this one's mass, form, and style makes up for it.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 2:58 AM
surely you agree with me

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 3:38 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

website is a godaddy page eh

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 4:24 AM

I know it’s not a looker but I agree - it looks massive and has a presence, I like the bulky appearance

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan