HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
makes me imagine how good this thing would look located right to the corner at their current HQ on main and broadway... i'm all for the density in the true north square vicinity now, but it's so hidden from so many angles.
I totally agree. It could have given Broadway a much-needed shot in the arm with a landmark office tower anchoring that major downtown intersection. But alas, Wawanesa was seduced by the glamour of being so close to Brenden Dillon and his cohorts.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
makes me imagine how good this thing would look located right to the corner at their current HQ on main and broadway... i'm all for the density in the true north square vicinity now, but it's so hidden from so many angles.
Yeah I said the same thing a while back. Would have been cool to see this on Broadway and Main. Hopefully something like this (or taller) will go up there someday soon.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2022, 7:50 PM

Grump any updates since Dec 1st

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 3:10 PM

From this morning:

Glazing is almost all done on the north and west sides.

A close up of the top:

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 3:19 PM

Not sure how much stock to put into this but given the amount of speculation that happens on here, what the hell.

A couple weeks back, we had a meeting with one of our vendors and I was talking with one of their guys about the Wawanesa build as we looked out the windows of our reception space post-meeting. They're involved with it, as well as working with TNSE on all of their projects. He mentioned a conversation he'd had with 'Jim' about the Wawanesa build (I took Jim to be Jim Ludlow based on the conversation). Apparently they're planning on using only 1/2 of the space but it wasn't made clear at the time what was going to be done with the other half.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 3:35 PM

^ It seems plausible based on what I'm hearing anecdotally from friends at Wawanesa. They seem pretty committed to WFH and it is, in some respects, a win-win. Some staff prefer the flexibility of WFH, the company needs less space. But that said, this is probably not the most ideal time to be trying to market a large amount of office space in downtown Winnipeg.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Maybe it is part of the new design around giving people more space due to the pandemic.

"Reynolds...your office is the north half of the 17th floor". "Perkins...you will be on the south half of the 19th floor".
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:18 PM

Shopify pulled out of 254,000 sq ft of new space at The Well in Toronto, so Wawanesa is definitely on trend!

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Maybe it is part of the new design around giving people more space due to the pandemic.

"Reynolds...your office is the north half of the 17th floor". "Perkins...you will be on the south half of the 19th floor".
"Uh, sir, about that raise..."

"Dammit Perkins - your office costs us $50,000 a year!"

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:33 PM

The flip side to all of this is that it will put downward pressure on rental rates for office space, meaning that nicer office space will be more accessible to existing companies. You may now see companies occupying class A office space that otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford it pre-pandemic and would have been stuck in class B. And those in class C might move up to class B, and those who were working out of their garage may move into class C, etc.

The market will adjust, it will just take time. And maybe if we see movement up the ladder for companies as they take advantage of lower rents in nicer buildings, we may be able to see old buildings re-purposed for residential, but I know that has its own challenges.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:40 PM

No one would build a longterm headquarters and have it at full capacity. There was likely some expansion space built into it based on future growth. That coupled with WFH has likely made the occupancy foot print lower.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 5:45 PM

^ Sure, there would be some room to grow. Didn't One Canada Centre have several other tenants before becoming IG-only over time? I seem to recall law firms and government offices being in there at one point. But taking up only one half of the tower speaks to Wawanesa taking up significantly less space than initially planned.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:01 PM

Thanks for the pics Grump

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiedog007 View Post
Thanks for the pics Grump
You're very welcome!

That cursed Sutton project better get back up and running or I'm going to have to go back to lurking!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Not sure how much stock to put into this but given the amount of speculation that happens on here, what the hell.

A couple weeks back, we had a meeting with one of our vendors and I was talking with one of their guys about the Wawanesa build as we looked out the windows of our reception space post-meeting. They're involved with it, as well as working with TNSE on all of their projects. He mentioned a conversation he'd had with 'Jim' about the Wawanesa build (I took Jim to be Jim Ludlow based on the conversation). Apparently they're planning on using only 1/2 of the space but it wasn't made clear at the time what was going to be done with the other half.
Another positive is that the floor plates are smaller lets say than Scotiabank tower so that helps some..they cna lease out what the do not need then take it back in years to come when the do need it

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 4:09 PM

you are assuming there is demand for office space, it's tough right now. all the towers at P&M have empty spaces as do many other class b buildings. more and more offices are going hybrid with shared desks

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
you are assuming there is demand for office space, it's tough right now. all the towers at P&M have empty spaces as do many other class b buildings. more and more offices are going hybrid with shared desks
That makes it hard when you hide your flask in your desk.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:45 PM
What could go wrong?

On the news the other day there was a piece on how the Federal Government will slowly start bringing the majority of its people back to the office in phases. I believe that most offices will eventually get back to in office work with a small portion still offering some type of hybrid WFH.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 7:53 AM

Yes, Treasury Board has issued a directive that all federal Departments have to get butts back in seats. Deadline for 40%+ time at physical work is end of fiscal, March 31.

How that works out, remains to be seen.

I am sure a ton of businesses that surround every office will be very happy that people will be back.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:19 PM

Union is fighting it though! 2-3 days a week is what I heard. Caveat is if you live more than X distance from the office. I know one lady who moved to Lac Du Bonnet and another man who moved to Pinawa. Will they be allowed remote? Seems like a loophole

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan