HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:11 PM

I'd ride my bike to work, summer or winter. But there's no way I'll do it with those knuckle head drivers on the road.

Once the missing pieces of the network are put in place, which there are currently no imminent plans for, I'd consider it.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 7:01 PM
surely you agree with me

I love when drivers get upset that cyclists are upset about snow clearing. Pot calling kettle black.
The weather was perfect after a foot of snow fell. No excuse not to clear the five bike lanes we have in this city within a day or two. It would honestly take one guy a morning to do all of them. Ignore the suburban bike highways that nobody uses and concentrate on the inner city bike lanes that do get used. They were impassable until everyone complained and the next day they were done. Sucks that you have to complain to get action.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 9:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I love when drivers get upset that cyclists are upset about snow clearing. Pot calling kettle black.
The weather was perfect after a foot of snow fell. No excuse not to clear the five bike lanes we have in this city within a day or two. It would honestly take one guy a morning to do all of them. Ignore the suburban bike highways that nobody uses and concentrate on the inner city bike lanes that do get used. They were impassable until everyone complained and the next day they were done. Sucks that you have to complain to get action.
Looks like we have some common ground here. Bottom line though is that so few people use any of the bike lanes relative to the overall population isn't how tax dollars should be spent. Heck some of the over the top cycle advocates want bike lanes cleared before busy sidewalks that everyone uses and NEEDS to USE!

The city does need to prioritize resources and spending and clearing any bike lanes for the exclusive use of the miniscule bike commute population of a very distinct demographic (white males between 25-45) is counterproductive!

And yes I am a cyclist myself

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 10:23 PM

The St Vital Bridge Rehabilitation Project is out for tender. Of note is that the sidewalks will be widened to become 3m wide multi-use paths. It looks like southbound to be completed in 2023 and northbound in 2024.

The design is to cantilever the new path outwards over the edge. Currently the sidewalks are 1.5m wide.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 11:16 PM

^ Great news... that is a win for AT network connectivity. Much safer than the current arrangement, and more efficient for most than taking the Elm Park Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:18 PM

That makes me happy. I've been more comfortable taking the road since the sidewalks are way too narrow if there is anyone else on them. Still plenty of significant route bridges that need an AT upgrade. But every one is good to hear.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:28 PM

IIRC the plan is to also reconfigure the interchange style ramps as well.

Here's what the plans looked like in March 2022.
https://legacy.winnipeg.ca/publicwor..._March2022.pdf

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
IIRC the plan is to also reconfigure the interchange style ramps as well.
Interesting. I see the directional ramps will still be there, just in a more compact, urban format as compared to the highway style ones that exist now.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 3:59 PM

They're downgrading the speed from 70 to 60. So now the bus stops will be on Dunkirk as opposed to being down on the loop.

Less safe IMO as people will be up standing near the roadway. But I guess they think it's better for pedestrians/cyclists down in the ramp areas, with the path connectivity and such on both sides of the river.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
a very distinct demographic (white males between 25-45)
Ironically, the person who organized the bike lane cleaning that the article you undoubtedly saw was about and that triggered this comment, is a woman.

There are many women who winter bike.

I've biked to work all winter for the last 10 years and there has a been a huge increase in riders. Sometimes there are more cyclists on Assiniboine than cars.

There are only like a few hundred km of bike infra, many of them are shared with pedestrians. The "waste of tax dollars" argument is silly, the investment is minimal compared to what's spent on clearing the roads or even sidewalks.

It would be a bigger waste to invest in bike lanes and then not be able to use them 4-5 months of the year.

And if you feel like responding to that with "yes, there should be no bike lanes", how about we apply the same argument to golf courses, outdoor pools, tennis courts, etc etc etc.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2022, 8:36 PM

If I am ever asked to summarize my city in a single photo, I'm using this.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 10:53 PM

Was at the Forks today. I was shocked how many people were cycling but it looks like a ton of fun. Even seeing the bicycle counter there have already been almost 900 cyclists. The number might be skewed by pedestrians

I think Winnipeg is almost there as a winter cycling city. A few more inner city routes would do the trick. Those bike lanes on Marion, Provencher, Stradbrook, and River can’t come soon enough.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2023, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
[...] seeing the bicycle counter there have already been almost 900 cyclists. The number might be skewed by pedestrians
I doubt people are carrying enough change in their pockets to trigger the magnetic coils these days. In fact, I'd say that number is probably a slight underestimate. I know I've ridden my bike through there this winter and not triggered the counter, because I had mistakenly ridden on the sidewalk since it was tough to tell what was what under the snow.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2023, 12:29 AM

As a regular rider (daily to work) it’s getting there but there is still so much to be done re: snow clearing. Some of the “shared” sidewalks that connect key infrastructure are abysmal and downright dangerous to ride on.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 8:27 PM

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/river-str...ted-bike-lanes

Final design is out for bike lanes on River and Stradbrook.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2023, 9:03 PM

I would have loved to have had this when I was living in the area. Always love a good protected lane. Happy to see some bike boxes too - turning left from Stradbrook to Nassau or to Scott was always hairy.

Removing the slip lanes at River & Nassau, River & Donald, and Stadbrook & Donald are nice touches too. I've had a few near misses at those as a pedestrian.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:37 AM
surely you agree with me

I’m for bike lanes everywhere and always but these are yet again lanes from nowhere to nowhere. Without the bridge crossing the river these are useless bike lanes.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I’m for bike lanes everywhere and always but these are yet again lanes from nowhere to nowhere. Without the bridge crossing the river these are useless bike lanes.
They will be useful for me. I go between River Heights and St B a lot. But I agree the new bridge will be helpful. Connecting Wellington to the Norwood bridge is a big step.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I think it actually links up rather decently to existing or near-future bike infrastructure. The design connects the multiuse path at Harkness Station and the Norwood Bridge. That in turn gets you to the St Boniface protected lanes described in Moving on Marion that run down Marion and Goulet. Also gets you all the way from Wellington to the Forks.

It would be nice if the Osborne Bridge didn't suck ass, though. The paths there are wide enough that the City could probably replace the Cyclists Must Dismount signs with Cyclists Must Yield to Pedestrians. Doesn't change anything materially, but it would be acknowledging reality and it would nice to not have the nagging fear of getting fined by an understimulated bylaw officer. The bigger problem is how narrow it gets at 11 Evergreen and the Shell.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2023, 7:06 PM

^ Agreed.

As a cyclist who lives in the Village, between River and Stradbrook, these bike lanes will be much appreciated and become part of my daily commute (come warmer weather). It's now the cycling experience on Osborne, and particularly the bridge I must cross to get to work every day, that needs to catch up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan