HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
There are many senior residents along South Shore Drive that benefit from taking the 6 to Hyde Park & downtown. Plus the South Lakefront is dense enough to justify parallel bus+rail service
Exactly, why should the Southern lakefront only get rail service when the Northern lakefront gets the Red Line, express buses, and regular buses?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 4:11 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf612 View Post
Exactly, why should the Southern lakefront only get rail service when the Northern lakefront gets the Red Line, express buses, and regular buses?
Fair enough! My experience with the 6 is that it's quite unreliable, but it probably would be more reliable if the ME was doing its share.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Very sad, some of the industrial buildings we are losing down on the south side:

https://chicagoyimby.com/2021/01/dem...nley-park.html
As someone who lives down south I actually enjoyed watching those industrial structures taken down along Ashland, they really did gave the area a more dirty look and that was something I heard a lot from family and friends coming down south to visit me. The south side, in general, has a lot of these industrial-looking areas that I wish I saw less of. I'm hoping for more development in the south side in the future like those cool ones happening along Milwaukee and the West Loop but knowing Chicago, it's still a long way from happening.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 2:08 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOA21 View Post
As someone who lives down south I actually enjoyed watching those industrial structures taken down along Ashland, they really did gave the area a more dirty look and that was something I heard a lot from family and friends coming down south to visit me. The south side, in general, has a lot of these industrial-looking areas that I wish I saw less of. I'm hoping for more development in the south side in the future like those cool ones happening along Milwaukee and the West Loop but knowing Chicago, it's still a long way from happening.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:36 PM

Quote:
all of the "cool buildings" in the west loop that everyone loves were once active warehouses or factories, the exact same as those on the SW side. what do you think happens when those buildings get torn down either due to neglect or short-sightedness in an area not currently highly sought after? the land sits vacant and at best gets turned into a strip mall or big box store.

i dont know how to break this to you but this is not "dirty" or ugly

this however is, and is the way that intersection has now looked for the past decade

"this" has the potential to be turned into cool lofts or offices which furtner generates interest in city living and elevates Chicago as a unique place that cant easily be replicated by anywhere else. simple fact, this type and style of building will never be built again. once its lost its gone forever.

"this" has the potential at best to be turned into a Home Depot, and at worst while we wait for that to materialize it lives on as a blighted moonscape repelling people from the area. this is also the way this intersection has now looked for the better part of a decade.

is "this" ugly?

or is this?

personally i know which of those two options i find more repelling and detrimental to the human soul.

unfortunately the stars do not always align immediately to turn Picture A into the kind of "cool" experience in the west loop youre seeking. but if we tear the structures down before they ever have that opportunity to see their potential fully realized, i can guarantee you it never will turn into that kind of neighborhood.

the south side has enough vacant lots and strip malls and suburban style shopping. it dosent need more and cheering on its loss of unique architecture isnt going to lead to the sorts of changes you are seeking. people dont travel from other cities or other countries to look at our collection of Sams Clubs. or vacant lots for that matter. people DO however move to neighborhoods and revitalize them because of their historical significance and in-tact streetscapes which offer unique experiences.

careful what you wish for.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jan 8, 2021 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:43 PM
The City

^ Yeah, I mean I guess I don't get what that poster is talking about. All of these buildings are EXACTLY the types of building that gave the West Loop all of the character that sparked its current rebirth.

It's like he wants this area to turn into the West Loop, but he wants to totally clear out the very structures that even make that possible.

Anyhow, this area of town will never become the West Loop. With any hope, some of these buildings will be preserved and we will see it become a sleepy Bridgeport-ish area

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
True, they were dirty but they have been left to rot. Fulton Market industrial buildings were dirty 3 years ago but now they look new again.

it's very short-sighted to knock any of these down. It'd be one thing if they were replaced with good urban development, but unfortunately all we're going to get is more of this

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:29 PM
Show me the blueprints

The raising of Hawthorne Works was a gd tragedy.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 6:46 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post

this however is, and is the way that intersection has now looked for the past decade

Just FYI, this was torn the rest of the way down in 2020

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:12 AM

Breaking News!

This forum's favorite architecture critic, Blair Kamin, is leaving the Tribune

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 2:14 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Edit.

Last edited by sentinel; Jan 9, 2021 at 2:16 AM. Reason: Being a dick.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 5:37 AM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Breaking News!

This forum's favorite architecture critic, Blair Kamin, is leaving the Tribune
They better not get rid of the architecture critic position. The Trib has fallen so much so I hope they don't get rid of it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
They better not get rid of the architecture critic position. The Trib has fallen so much so I hope they don't get rid of it.
The Trib can walk their yellow line all the way to oblivion. Having worked for them I will shed no tears - no tears at all.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
all of the "cool buildings" in the west loop that everyone loves were once active warehouses or factories, the exact same as those on the SW side. what do you think happens when those buildings get torn down either due to neglect or short-sightedness in an area not currently highly sought after? the land sits vacant and at best gets turned into a strip mall or big box store.

i dont know how to break this to you but this is not "dirty" or ugly

"this" has the potential to be turned into cool lofts or offices which furtner generates interest in city living and elevates Chicago as a unique place that cant easily be replicated by anywhere else. simple fact, this type and style of building will never be built again. once its lost its gone forever.

"this" has the potential at best to be turned into a Home Depot, and at worst while we wait for that to materialize it lives on as a blighted moonscape repelling people from the area. this is also the way this intersection has now looked for the better part of a decade.

is "this" ugly?

or is this?

personally i know which of those two options i find more repelling and detrimental to the human soul.

unfortunately the stars do not always align immediately to turn Picture A into the kind of "cool" experience in the west loop youre seeking. but if we tear the structures down before they ever have that opportunity to see their potential fully realized, i can guarantee you it never will turn into that kind of neighborhood.

the south side has enough vacant lots and strip malls and suburban style shopping. it dosent need more and cheering on its loss of unique architecture isnt going to lead to the sorts of changes you are seeking. people dont travel from other cities or other countries to look at our collection of Sams Clubs. or vacant lots for that matter. people DO however move to neighborhoods and revitalize them because of their historical significance and in-tact streetscapes which offer unique experiences.

careful what you wish for.
Thanks for the examples and visuals. I know how the West Loop use to look like and I now realized I contradicted myself by saying I want to see such changes like those in the Southside but I also mentioned how I want to see them tear down such buildings (that's my bad). I'm also on board with the idea of more dense projects and pedestrian-friendly and vibrant streets in the southside and that was basically what I was trying to say with my initial post. I have been a fan of this thread for a long time since 2010 actually (I'm 21 now) and I apologize if my first post came off as rude or stupid.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 1:44 PM

Damn Via, that is a great post!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
There was a virtual meeting this week to discuss changes to the streetscape on Irving Park Road between the river and almost Damen. During the meeting, Alderman Matt Martin said the reason the plan does not extend all the way to Damen is that a "significant" proposal is in the pipeline that will could drastically change the six corner intersection at Irving/Damen/Lincoln, with the parcel on the southwest corner of Damen and Irving (currently a bank and surface lot) potentially redeveloped. Since it's not an actual proposal yet, I can't find any easily accessible public information.

Anyone have inside info? I've been dreaming of this lot getting redeveloped and this intersection getting more life as a pedestrian hub for a long time!
Well, got my answer:

According to Alderman Matt Martin, the developer already has a grocery tenant lined up but will not reveal who in accordnace with an NDA. Strange, because there is a Jewel about 3 blocks north and a Trader Joe's about 3 blocks south... not to mention a Mariano's a little over a mile away.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Well, got my answer:

According to Alderman Matt Martin, the developer already has a grocery tenant lined up but will not reveal who in accordnace with an NDA. Strange, because there is a Jewel about 3 blocks north and a Trader Joe's about 3 blocks south... not to mention a Mariano's a little over a mile away.

Maybe it's an Amazon Fresh store

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:33 PM

^ I hope not

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:42 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:

is "this" ugly?

or is this?

Wow. Heartbreaking to see this.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:25 PM

Hey Chicago P&C! I just moved to your city from Philly. I'll be here for a few months before going back, but I really love your city!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development